Dash light warning indicators.

I'm working on a warning lamp system built up of led lights to warn me (the driver) of any faults or danger levels with the engine, gearbox and fuel system, which are not monitored by the Toyota ep91 factory system 

Example: coolant level, coolant block pressure. Exhaust gas temp, det/nock alerts. 

Please feel free to join in and give me things to add to the system. 

I've made this dash mount to house the led indicators marked in red and yellow. 

IMG_20200819_163724.thumb.jpg.ad238151aca1cde779b0b2765779a41c.jpg

dash.thumb.jpg.d803c3932054aa202afa7036ff127b55.jpg

Edited by Sam44
13 hours ago, Sam44 said:

I'm working on a warning lamp system built up of led lights to warn me (the driver) of any faults or danger levels with the engine, gearbox and fuel system, which are not monitored by the Toyota ep91 factory system 

Example: coolant level, coolant block pressure. Exhaust gas temp, det/nock alerts. 

Please feel free to join in and give me things to add to the system. 

I've made this dash mount to house the led indicators marked in red and yellow. 

If its disaster aversion warnings, personally I would keep it simple and have one Big Red LED that means stop rather than individual lights that tell you a specific problem. It doesn't matter what's wrong you just need to stop now or check the info on a dial / readout to see what's up. Then you can check the log to see the data after you've saved the engine.

How will these sensors be reported and logged? Piggy back? separate gauge with logging / warning outputs? I'm sure you know but a standalone engine management setup would have all the necessary I/O (inputs and outputs) wiring to do all of this and display it on a sexy dash aswell (Haltech anyone!). Obviously price is a factor also but the install and wiring would be simpler / neater than separate add - on systems not to mention the better engine control. 

im designing a cmos logic IC, there not really that pricey. 

its there to help me fault find, as well as give me instant warning to which system is faulty. i can also make them sensitive/progressive. 

i can also put things in the car in there like boot or doors open. 

i suppose the real danger zones i can put on a buzzer to, thanks thats a good idea. ive got room for about 20 square red led lights. 

there are afew items that are pricey, like the nock/det alert systems.  

Edited by Sam44

This is the list so far

There are other alerts/warnings I have on my gauges example boost gauge does low and over pressure alart. 

1). Coolant level

2). Coolant block pressure

3). Fuel pressure.

3). Engine nock/det alert.

4). Exhaust gas temps. 

5). Inlet air temperature high. (Potential boost leak)

6). Oil temp

7). oil pressure set to alert bellow 1bar. 

8). Oil level. 

9). Bonnet open

10). Gearbox oil temp. Added to list. 

Edited by Sam44
7 hours ago, Sam44 said:

This is the list so far

There are other alerts/warnings I have on my gauges example boost gauge does low and over pressure alart. 

1). Coolant level

2). Coolant block pressure

3). Fuel pressure.

3). Engine nock/det alert.

4). Exhaust gas temps. 

5). Inlet air temperature high. (Potential boost leak)

6). Oil temp

7). oil pressure set to alert bellow 1bar. 

8). Oil level. 

9). Bonnet open

Not sure if you're using this for monitoring / datalogging or warnings so....

I'll add: fuel temp (see what the 2 pump setup and fuel cooler do, also see the relative relationship to EGT),

Intake Air Temp. (pre and post intercooler relating to intercooler efficiency and EGT, knock threshold),

Maybe gearbox oil temps. (not so bad on a manual but interesting to see what happens when the LSD gets a thrashing, if it's a clutch type.)

Yeh nice, I'm running a aem logger already so I can add this to the topic definitely. 

I will add the gearbox temps in there. With the gearbox being directly behind and in the hot air stream of the engines radiator this is a great shout. 

Fuel temp also is a nice option for every 7deg raise you loose 1 octane. If I remember right. As well as impacting power, cylinder thermal efficiency and electrical resistance. 

Edited by Sam44