Forged 4E v 5E?

Currently running 230 on 4E, standard internals and the next step it’s forging. I do have a 5E engine spare and the 4E currently in the car. What are the pros and cons of both?

Jake

5 hours ago, Healey said:

Currently running 230 on 4E, standard internals and the next step it’s forging. I do have a 5E engine spare and the 4E currently in the car. What are the pros and cons of both?

Jake

Think it depends on your intended hp goals. Costs should be similar to forge either engine.

The 5e has the potential for more power (1.5l vs 1.3l) or would make the same hp with less stress on the components. The longer stroke of the 5e should help torque also.

If I had the choice and the 4e was capable of the intended bhp goal I'd forge that and sell the 5e as they're very sought after at the moment.

If you want big hp or a less stressed engine go 5e.

Although I don't think I've heard anyone complain about their forged 5e build on this forum so far!

Edited by Claymore
clarity

In real terms its not a mega difference 5e over 4e.

There is 200cc extra to play with in the map, and that will help with the turbo.

One good mechanical difference is the 5e has thicker crank caps than a 4e, they are still cast though.

People used to say the 5e didn't rev as well as a 4e.

If you have one sitting it would be rude not to have it built.

4 hours ago, Claymore said:

Think it depends on your intended hp goals. Costs should be similar to forge either engine.

The 5e has the potential for more power (1.5l vs 1.3l) or would make the same hp with less stress on the components. The longer stroke of the 5e should help torque also.

If I had the choice and the 4e was capable of the intended bhp goal I'd forge that and sell the 5e as they're very sought after at the moment.

If you want big hp or a less stressed engine go 5e.

Although I don't think I've heard anyone complain about their forged 5e build on this forum so far!

Yeah I’ll probs get the 5e done then as nobody like to travel to me to buy stuff because I live so far away from everyone and I do like the sound of better torque down low 

4 hours ago, daniel_g said:

In real terms its not a mega difference 5e over 4e.

There is 200cc extra to play with in the map, and that will help with the turbo.

One good mechanical difference is the 5e has thicker crank caps than a 4e, they are still cast though.

People used to say the 5e didn't rev as well as a 4e.

If you have one sitting it would be rude not to have it built.

Yeah well I don’t need to Rev it crazy high as I just want a fast road car, it won’t really be seeing the track either. Like you say it’d be rude not to while I have it just sat here

Yeh like most small engines that increase cc using increased stroke keeping the cylinder diameter the same, we see a nice increase in torque output. I've been in a 200ish/hp 4e and a 200hp 5e the torque difference is around 20% depending on setup. This is seen threw out the rpm band, the 5e is 1:1 hp to torque, constant pulling ability.

The 5e felt a better balance pulled very hard hitting target speeds faster. 

As always with a shorter stroke the time taken for tdc to tbc is quicker (revablity). hp giver. 

I'm currently trying to get the same torque levels or higher from a 4efe+t 

Edited by Sam44