The original zisco exhaust manifold from my turboed ep going on soon. 

16273304015211551698993.jpg

Yeh I'm loving it. 

It's around 110hp at present. Working out the power to weight is around 130+ish hp and the feel of the power delivery with the alloy flywheel it revs really well with a great hit of torque around 4.2krpm.  the rpm drop (running the alloy flywheel) because of the longer stroke of the 5e when you clutch in is alot better than on the shorter stroke 4e. 

I've driven a modded 4e running a the ee11 corrola inlet and the paseo running these mods is completely different. Alot more torque and power delivery is close to a (low torque fast/high revving) b16 honda proformance engine, with the shape of a integra/celica/mr2

Also because of the low drag shape its better to sit in behind something really fast on the motorway, doing this I can get the paseo nearly off the clock which is near impossible with the starlet, it's suprised alot of much faster modern sports cars. Also because of the shape and low center of gravity + higher engine torque speeds from 90 to 110mph are alot better. I recon this car would suprise on the drag strip at around 350hp. Again turboed eg civic and dc2 honda times I'd estimate. 

The UK 4efe definitely needs to run the 4efte inlet cam, the standard ep91 4efe inlet cam flattens the high rpm power no couple this with the tubular inlet and I shudder at the impact of the higher speed capabilities (all rev and no pull, "FLAT")

Just the turbo cam would make a good difference to a standard 4efe. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 2 weeks later...

The paseo is due it's mot this month. I've been concentrating on this just at present. 

Then I can finally get up to the northwest to pick up some parts and get back on with the ep91 4efe+t build. 

I've recently replaced the front lower ball joints, and roll bar droplinks, both rear drums and shoes + bearings, as well as clean up the rust and hameright the front lower cross member behind the front bumper. Quite a bit of rust on it but savable. 

I'm also waiting for the tdo4 exhaust flange to turn up so I can use do the zisco exhaust mod. 

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for late reply. 

the starlet is at my second home fleetwood. im in oxfordshire at present soon to be going to fleetwood as ive just started my 3 month holiday from work. watch this space. 

im just rebuilding the front calipers today using yellow stuff pads and new vented discs.

the front caliper on the paseo are bigger units than the ep91 uk starlet, and the same size as the jdm ep91 glanza v. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 2 weeks later...

over the past few weeks i have been looking at the 4efte/gen 1 4efe power inlets flow characteristics. 

it appears that there is quite a big cylinder feeding flow difference with cylinder 3 getting a good chunk of the incoming air, leading to quite a big cylinder power balance difference. cylinder 4 is to close to the throttle with the air almost bypassing it. 

i have been designing a 45 deg flanged neck to go onto the manifold, placed in-between the throttle body and manifold around 20cm long. the idea is to ramp the incoming air across the back wall of the manifolds plenum chamber getting more air to cylinders 1&2. by my workings out it will give quite a nice power increase.  

bellow you can see the same idea used on these aftermarket power inlets.

looking at the pics you can see the air flow path. 

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

now you can see the problem.

See the source image

this is something i have been told about from the lad that sold me the starbo. legend of a guy.  

Edited by Sam44

Morning skinny.

Yeh the standard manifold is very restrictive.

I use your graph alot. It's one of the smoothest I've seen on the E11 manifold.

I'm hoping this modification with the exhaust will get the 5e into the 110+hp margin. 

I've also ordered a k&n panel filter and drilled out the under side of the standard air box. 

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/k_n-replacement-elements/toyota/paseo.html

Edited by Sam44

Yea the tuner said because I'd just banged it on and never checked fuel or air it may run like shit. It surprised everyone that day lol, on his fuel/air monitor he said it was running sweet  :) I ran it with the TPS disconnected for random pops and bangs lol, I bate that we car daily and it just kept on going like a champ 

It was running a 2" straight through to back box and a random cheap ass cone  :)

videos of it upsetting a few folk on the drag strip somewhere,  maybe my YouTube 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update the itg air filter and larger throttle body do make a good increase in power above 4.5krpm but the standard air filter box with the k&n filter on the 4efte 50mm larger throttle make for better road driving (much smoother power delivery & low rpm torque delivery), helping throttle response which starts to become an issue using such a large throttle diameter. 

At this size the throttling is starting to get really sensitive on the foot. It's starting to become very easy to stall the incoming inlet air delivery at lower and mid rpm levels, if you are to agresive with your foot (bogging out).  Personally I would not go any bigger with the throttle unless a twin plate is used. On this the gen1 4efe and 4efte power inlet manifold. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 1 month later...

I've not been on for awhile, and progress alittle slow on the builds.

The zisco rams horn turbo manifold has been fitted to the paseo. using a steel tdo4 flange off eBay £10, to modify and mate the standard paseo exhaust to the zisco turbo manifold. leaving a eBay special external waste gate I had permanently closed as a blank on the screamer waste gate pipe, sealing it closed.  This has given the engine even length exhaust runners as well as a increased volume in this area of the exhaust.

The difference I have noticed has been a very smooth engine response and better mid to top end power/torque. The next mod will be a full aftermarket 2inch exhaust system and high flow cat in the coming months after Christmas. 

I'm very surprised, and happy with this little car, the power is fantastic (5e hp/torque curv 1:1, over the 4e is alot better) great speed, a perfect match for the 6speed box, easily staying with alot of modern little cars (fiat 500 abath, fiesta st, bmw minni) with power upwards of 130hp even the bigger heavier 200+hp newer cars. It revs really well a true jdm experience. Power to weight at its best. The car weights in at alittle under 900kg. The lower center of gravity also improving handling over the standard starlet. 

The turbo I picked up off eBay for £60. It a China copy 2nd hand never used. Td05 20g it's huge. 

IMG_20211219_103805.jpg

I was a little worried about the lag on this monster of a turbo. As well as my setup for it. But I feel the setup of the power unit and drive train. Would actually complement the power delivery from the turbo. Also not needing things like limited slip diff or forged engine internals. 

I'm going to run around 8psi. 

Here are some videos I found of the boost delivery from a td05 20g on a 5efe engine. 

This is 14+psi which is higher than my target which will affect how my turbo produces boost in the rpm range.

Very respectable to be fair. 

again a different boost pressure with very close results in relation to boost build/rpm. I suspect this is also on forged engine. Which will be slightly lower compression ratio. 

This turbo should give some kick ass torque at a nice slow steady boost build, good for the engine, and power delivery. Also allowing me at such a low boost level to do a relatively small short rout intercooler setup. This thing is going to be insane for a road car something I'm going to treasure for a very long time. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 1 month later...

After some carefull deliberations the plans have altered on this build. 

The ball has been set in motion with a 7afe engine purchased off eBay and a MK1 MR2 16v 4age engine coming off a member on this great site. The two combined will make a 1.8ltr 16v 7age engine that in normally asperated mode produces close to 200hp. 

The future plans are to make it a 7agze (Supercharge) using a sprintex screw type charger mounted as part of the inlet manifold using high hp Kent cam shaft (race) depending on rpm limmit, on a c164 lsd 6 speed gearbox. 

The engine bay will have to be widened to house the engine and box. 

The 1.5ltr 5efe in the car at present will eventually go in the ep91 starbo build, after a recon and some internal work. 

7age info:

http://www.matrixgarage.com/content/getting-most-out-your-7a-ge-hybrid-build

Although on the site/info above they state that there is not much difference between a well build 4age and 7age this is like the 4efte and 5efte hp levels are very close but torque output tells a different tale. Any one that has experienced the 4e and 5e will testify.

Cam shaft info and prices, look under Toyota MR2 4age. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.kentcams.com/files/kent_cams_catalogue_2016_1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwii_qWqqq71AhXBmFwKHQFwABYQFnoECC8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2-iIzSvJ941Iv3MPbkhse3

I'm hoping to move on this asap. Going into the starbo next month so as I can pull down the paseo and start fabrication work ready for the body shop. 

Any and all advice welcome. The car will need a full new engine control system with digital dash. I'm very excited about this, really enjoying these little Toyota's. 

The gearbox will comprise of a c164 out a lotus using a Toyota c series bell housing from a g6r 4afe corrola, some drive shaft cups from a preius, gt turbo thicker drive shafts. Also looking into aftermarket lsd units. The 1.5 way Cusco in the starlet is a bit snappy. 

This has come about after reading and watching some truly impressive builds on this site. I'm hoping to make another one off Taylor made toyota to add to this collection. 

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Sam44
7 hours ago, SKINY said:

As we say in Northern Ireland Sam

Fuck it  :)

Haha. 

Yep I hear ya mate. 

I have a rev 3 3sge engine here also but it simply will not fit, the block hight/stroke is impresize. I'd have to sit the engine up right giving zero ground clearance. I'm also hoping for slightly better mpg out of the 7age unit. 

The people I've spoke with that have done the 7age motor call it the baby 3sge, with the piston stroke only .5mm off. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 2 weeks later...

it begins. 

The later MK1 MR2 4age large port 16 valve head with engine.

Thanks to Callum for the help on here. 

Check out them intake ports. And a pent roof combustion chamber 45deg port angles. 

The 4age large port MK2 MK1 head will be sent away for a full reconditioning. 

Pics coming soon. New phone is being difficult. 

After carefully reading threw alot of information regarding the 7age/gze and I've decided to keep the original crank and rods, lightening the pistons skimming them down to achieve a flat top 8.1:1 compression ratio. My aim for power will be around 250hp mark. 7krpm redline, which I'm told they can do 8krpm all day long. 

Edited by Sam44
9 hours ago, SKINY said:

Interested to see this Sam :)

I will get some pictures up for everyone. 

Im super excited about this. And getting the paseo in the body shop for a restoration job. 

Hoping to have it complete by this time next year. 

Edited by Sam44

Tell me more skinny. 

Does he have a build blog on a site?. 

I do love this.

What internals did he use?

I was going to either do a ep82 gt turbo with it, or a Celica, but the light weight, low center of gravity,  low drag Shape of the paseo has won my heart. People love it. I love it, I get looks were ever I go. So time to make it what it should have been. With a truly 1 off toyota engine. Running the best charger on the market. Keep that na feel with a linear power delivery and that weight down. 

Edited by Sam44

7age engine spec.

4age 16v reconditioned head with super finished/polished valve buckets/followers, some head work needed to clear for the cam lift. 

Kent race Spec cams + adjustable pulleys. 

Arp 4age head studs, 

4age Toyota head gasket.

7afe original pistons lightened, balanced skimmed flat top.

Crank High load ACL bearing shells

7afe rods & crank, crank journals getting case hardened and polished with machined factory sharp edges getting hand smoothed/removed. Rods are having the piston oiler holes deleted and new oilers ground into the thrust faces (this will also help lubricate these faces as well as the oil spred constantly + evenly over the bearing shell surfaces), little end pins super finished/polished. 

Crank, flywheel, front pulley (pulley yet to be designed for the sprintex charger) and clutch will all get balanced together. 

7afe high volume delivery oil pump, running a larger oil capacity oil filter. 

Arp crank main cap studs. 

Standard 7afe flywheel. 

Redline set at 7krpm (I've been told they do 8krpm all day long). 

Parts being ordered. Head has been sent away. 

There are easy 20 different ways to build one of these engines. After talking to many different builders mainly in the USA this is the final choise. 

The rods I'm told fail around the 280hp mark the pistons fail around 1.2bar of boost.

my aim is 250hp, this coupled with the torque these engine deliver should be nice and controlable, having as nice linear power delivery. 

The paseo weights in at alittle under 900kg I'm going to do my best to keep it at this weight. 

The sprintex charger will be housed as part of the engines inlet manifold mounted post inlet throttle, with out the need for an intercooler & piping.

Edited by Sam44
  • 2 months later...

Not going to lie, I'm missing this car. It has been sent away to the body shop for a full paint and restore, also the engine bay is getting widened to house the 7age motor and c164 box. 

It will be at least 6 month, but I'm expecting it to be more like 18months. 

3 hours ago, Sam44 said:

Not going to lie, I'm missing this car. It has been sent away to the body shop for a full paint and restore, also the engine bay is getting widened to house the 7age motor and c164 box. 

It will be at least 6 month, but I'm expecting it to be more like 18months. 

Sounds awesome staying same colour I take it ?