Running 4efe-t build with/without mapping (running on idle only)

I havent installed my EMB to my build yet, still doing the bolt on bits. My EMB was mapped for an MX5 turbo if I remember correctly. 

Once the engine work is done and im ready to run the engine and leave idle/drive onto trailer, whats the best thing to do? Run with standard 4efe ecu, run with EMB with whatever map is on it, or run EMB with a base glanza map? Or what other suggestions are there?

Im not clued up with management and mapping really, so not sure how to handle the situation before its mapped.

Thanks

23 hours ago, Zemerz said:

I havent installed my EMB to my build yet, still doing the bolt on bits. My EMB was mapped for an MX5 turbo if I remember correctly. 

Once the engine work is done and im ready to run the engine and leave idle/drive onto trailer, whats the best thing to do? Run with standard 4efe ecu, run with EMB with whatever map is on it, or run EMB with a base glanza map? Or what other suggestions are there?

Im not clued up with management and mapping really, so not sure how to handle the situation before its mapped.

Thanks

Who will be mapping the car? Are you wanting to fit it before hand to save some labour costs?

I wouldn't use the mx5 part. 

you can keep the waste gate open (using a spring & disconnecting the turbo actuator.) now keep the 4efe injectors in and it will drive nice to were ever you want it. then install the 4efte injectors & EMB and clip the turbo actuator back in place.  

On 7/15/2021 at 12:18 PM, Patches said:

Who will be mapping the car? Are you wanting to fit it before hand to save some labour costs?

No idea who will map it atm, ill have to find someone around london (im based in east london), but yeah ill wire in the emb and then just get it mapped.

On 7/15/2021 at 3:13 PM, Sam44 said:

I wouldn't use the mx5 part. 

you can keep the waste gate open (using a spring & disconnecting the turbo actuator.) now keep the 4efe injectors in and it will drive nice to were ever you want it. then install the 4efte injectors & EMB and clip the turbo actuator back in place.  

This sounds good mate, ill do that, cheers boys!

On 7/17/2021 at 8:43 PM, Zemerz said:

No idea who will map it atm, ill have to find someone around london (im based in east london), but yeah ill wire in the emb and then just get it mapped.

I disagree with Sam's "advice". First of all it's not an mx5 part, it's a universal part with an mx5 tune on it. I wouldn't do anything to the turbo, driving like a granny with a really light throttle will stop the turbo from spooling up. 

I would use Racecal to map the car as they are down your way (Rob Fisher from this forum works there), if you speak to them they should be able to advise you on the best course of action. It might not cost a lot extra to have them fit before mapping and if you're not very confident with wiring then I wouldn't touch it.

If however you want to learn a bit about tuning and wiring to get the EMB fitted and to drive it then I suggest you check out high performance academy who have loads of free information and free course on their website, youtube etc. The free content they have is amazing they even do some free courses which should teach you enough to get going.

I don't have any experience with the EMB (I have tuned my car using Link G4+ Atom) but looking at this video you might be able to load a basemap onto it which might make the car driveable but it's hard to say as you will probably want to load the 4e-fe map and not the 4e-fte map to drive there and you definitely don't want to drive with any positive boost. At light throttle and RPM the worst damage you can probably do is foul your spark plugs, I would buy a spare set to take with you, buy the copper ones not the iridiums as they are like £10 a set and just as good. DO YOUR RESEARCH and perhaps get a wideband to confirm the fueling.

On 7/17/2021 at 8:43 PM, Zemerz said:

No worries. Let us know how you get on. 

I'd also use a boost gauge in there to make sure you do not get any boost pressure. I say this because if you are using a standard ct9 turbo with an aftermarket air filter/kit and an aftermarket exhaust system you will get boost creep. So even if you hold open the waste gate here it will still provide boost pressure to the engine unless the waste gate is opened out (enlarged). 

You can also install the emb controller but leave the map sensor wire part & ignition wire part alone till you get to the mappers place. Then there is only 2x wires to install. 

Edited by Sam44