High Idle - Possible wax-stat issue?

Hi All, been a long while, but still owning my blue tom's EP. Looking for a bit of advise or ideas. Seems I have the throttle body wax-stat issue. This causes the car to idle around 800-1000 rpm to high whilst warm, since it's allowing additional air into the inlet. Closing the hole (bottom left inside the throttle body) with a finger to the wax stat whilst warm it's idling fine around the default rpm.  

Now I've  come across a few posts to just remove it, where it's been said the cold start to be a bit more tricky. Looked for replacing (new) the part or the complete throttle body. But that's going to be silly prices if even able to be ordered. Any one had this on here, if so are there any known ways to fix this without replacing?

image.png.d488842500f81ed47f60e10ee7c79343.png

Most people these days just blank them off with a made bit of a metal and original gasket and then just loop the coolant hoses . Then just adjust the idle through the screw on top of the throttle body . I have done it on few of these cars now with no change to cold starting . If you don’t wanna do this have you taken it off and given it a good clean etc ? .  Hope this helps 👍🏼

Edited by T-dog
  • 4 weeks later...

Well an update here. Seems I got to the cause of this. I have removed my power steering and with that I've looped a few items. Including the vacuum lines at the back of the inlet. Today I've removed it and just blocked these vacuum points at the back. Seems this is causing the wax-stat to stay open making it to idle very high. So lesson learned, if you remove the power steering, you should be just able to have the vacuum lines stay in place, or block them. I think in the end I'm going to restore them to default, just the vacuum lines. 

More items it resolved

• Intermittent bouncing rpm whilst applying the clutch
  • Intermittent hanging/raising of rpm whilst changing gears