Oil restrictors for journal bearing turbos

Hi guys, sorry if this has been covered before but I’ve got a GReddy TD05 18g, 

Recently started my fresh 5e build with this turbo fitted that’s just been rebuilt by midland turbo.

upon startup there is a constant stream of white smoke, led me to believe headgasket but compression test results come back bang on and now the mapper is pointing to the turbo which makes sense as the white smoke does smell strongly of oil.

now I’m getting mixed answers.

some telling me that journal bearing turbos do not need restrictors what so ever,

some may need one,

some come with them fitted as part of the casting,

and I need to run a smaller feed.

has anyone with a greddy td05 encountered a similar issue at all? My feed is rather large and I will check shortly to confirm or not if there is a built in restrictor. Drain is massive and comes out vertically down from the turbo don’t see how this could be an issue.

Any advice at all would be mint. Cheers

I remember back when i fitted the TD04 reading somewhere that it needed some kind of restriction and 1.5mm feed hole would be appropriate.

Long story short as i couldnt find a 1.5mm banjo anywhere i got a bolt and drilled a hole along the thread axis and one horizontally essentially creating the banjo i wanted.

Never had a problem with oil consumption and turbo was mint and clean when i removed it after 6 years. 

Id imagine a regular banjo with a big opening would certainly flood it and create smoke.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:13 AM, candy_red said:

I remember back when i fitted the TD04 reading somewhere that it needed some kind of restriction and 1.5mm feed hole would be appropriate.

Long story short as i couldnt find a 1.5mm banjo anywhere i got a bolt and drilled a hole along the thread axis and one horizontally essentially creating the banjo i wanted.

Never had a problem with oil consumption and turbo was mint and clean when i removed it after 6 years. 

Id imagine a regular banjo with a big opening would certainly flood it and create smoke.

Cheers mate I’ve even been told to just spot weld the banjo bolt sealed, then drill a 1.5mm hole in it as it could have the same effect. 

don’t suppose you had any smoke prior to attempting this did you? Did doing this make any noticeable difference ? Cheers 

I wouldn't know as i installed it with the 1.5mm banjo right away. Did have some smoke issues but was from a slightly kinked return. When i fixed that everything was fine.

But there goes to show you, that even with a 1.5mm feed hole there will easily be flooding in the cartridge. I imagine that it would be much worse with a full size banjo.

Turbos dont need that much oil as we'd like to think. Play it safe and go with 1.5mm.

The spot weld idea sounds good as you would only need to drill the weld and not through the whole damn bolt. Its an easy swap at the end of the day if it doesnt work out and wont cause any harm other than some smoking as its not a ball bearing turbo.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, candy_red said:

I wouldn't know as i installed it with the 1.5mm banjo right away. Did have some smoke issues but was from a slightly kinked return. When i fixed that everything was fine.

But there goes to show you, that even with a 1.5mm feed hole there will easily be flooding in the cartridge. I imagine that it would be much worse with a full size banjo.

Turbos dont need that much oil as we'd like to think. Play it safe and go with 1.5mm.

The spot weld idea sounds good as you would only need to drill the weld and not through the whole damn bolt. Its an easy swap at the end of the day if it doesnt work out and wont cause any harm other than some smoking as its not a ball bearing turbo.

Cheers bud, I’ll get sommet sorted. Thankyou 👍🏼