4EFE will start but won’t hold an idle? HELP!

Hello 

I’ve recently removed a 4EFE engine, ECu, engine and dash loom out of one of my starlets and fitted it to another. When I start the car it starts perfectly first turn of the key but as the revs drop back down to what should be idle after the initial start, it cuts out as if I’m turning the key off. It doesn’t struggle, misfire or run lumpy or anything like that, it just cuts out as if I’ve turned the key off. There are no ECU codes and it sounds and runs spot on until it just turns off, usually about 5 seconds after it fires.

all fluids and sensors are present, the only thing I’ve not currently got fitted is the charcoal canister but I don’t think this would cause the issue? (Breather from tank left open to atmosphere)

I’ve spent HOURS trying to figure it out and it’s driving me insane now. 

things I’ve checked so far;

- Every fuse and relay on the car. Every. Single. One. no change
- I’ve systematically unplugged all relevant sensors (TPS, ICV, air temp sensor, coolant temp, MAP sensor etc.) and it behaves appropriately for the sensor that’s been unplugged I.e. it won’t start if the coolant temp sensor is unplugged, it fires at higher revs if the ICV/TPS is unplugged. The corresponding ECU faults come on as they should. But it still cuts out the same

- I’ve tried different fuel pumps and checked all injectors for leaks etc. 
- I’ve tried a different ECU and battery

- I’ve tried wiring up the fuel pump to a remote 12V constant supply to check the power wasn’t dipping too low on start

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome as I’m losing my mind over this now!

Thanks! 

If you try and keep it alive by keeping the throttle open i guess it still dies?

I had the same problem on a UK car after an ECU swap not matching the immobiliser in the key, have you still got the stock ECU from the car you fitted the engine too? 

Yes it still does still stop running with all manner of flammable stuff sprayed in with the throttle open haha. 

yes I do, but I have various transponders, TMIM amplifiers and ECU’s so it could be the case I’ve mixed something up. I’ll mix and match and try to see if it makes a difference!