Evening guys, I'm after a lightened flywheel for am NA Build. From what I've read, the glanza and the NA clutches and flywheels are interchangeable between eachother, as long as you change the full clutch and flywheel kit. Is this correct? I ask as I can only find lightweight flywheels for glanzas. Am I right in assuming no change to the starter motor ect is required? Cheers 

Edited by CallumWellens33
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeh the ep91 UK 4efe starlet has a 200mm diameter clutch with a flywheel to suit and the ep82&ep91 JDM 4efte has a 212mm clutch with a flywheel to suit. The bolt patterns are the same for either flywheel where it bolts to the crank. 

Edited by Sam44
11 hours ago, CallumWellens33 said:

Thankyou for the confirmation Sam, any opinion on best/lightest off the shelf flywheel? Not arsed about inertia, I'll have to man up and teach myself some clutch control😂😂

I don't think there will be many people in a position to tell you which one is the best as I doubt many have tried them all. There are a few options on fensport, rhdjapan and perhaps id workz or tegiwa

When it comes to flywheel and clutches it's all about rotating mass where force, distance & weight apply. 

This to me has a very similar affect of a modern complex ignition system at a fraction of the price. The reason I use the lightest posable flywheel. 

The 5e is fantastic using this flywheel very rev happy. The 4e also very revy but the rpm drops alot more sharply due to the difference in engine stroke. 

I'm using the fidanza brand the lightest I can find. Around 3.61fid_fidanza_flywheel_top_angle_mar20.jpg.0d0c97a317ab1cfbc27f3010a0fb855d.jpgkg this allows the engine to increase rpm sharply with little resistance. The clutch also does this (low anertia) in relation to the engine it is the time taken to accelerate from say 850rpm (idle) to 7krpm (redline). These two units help the engine achieve it in a faster time. 

The standard ep91 4efte and 4efe flywheels are around the 15kg mark. With the larger 212mm clutch and pressure plate a few kg more than the 200mm. So choose carefully. It does make a difference. With the larger 212mm clutch having more mass/weight further way from the center/larger diameter, taking longer to overcome anertia (accelerate slower), but handles more power over the smaller 200mm unit. The balance again has to be struck. 

There are some draw backs using the very light alloy flywheel.

1). Is that it has a steel plate (clutch contact surface) screwed to the alloy flywheel. Were these screws are positioned on this surface removes/reduces the friction plate to flywheel contact surface area. 

2). Because of the very low weight of the flywheel the force/energy stored in the flywheel is significantly reduced. This means off throttle when clutching and changing gears the engine rpm drops sharply. This is not a problem when clutching fast/racing but can be a problem in slow moving traffic. 

3). Because of the reduction in weight acting against the thrust movement of the clutches pressure plate. If you start gearing hard/fast (kicking the clutch) crank walk can happen with alot of engines. You have to learn to gear fast but smooth, not agresive. One of the reasons why the 4efte engine comes with a very heavy front pully.

The difference in design and weight now depends on how fast you want the engine to increase in rpm (the lower the weight the better) engine deceleration off throttle = increase in weight to store energy. power the clutch has to handle and how you are going to drive it. 

https://futuremotorsports.com/product/fidanza-lightweight-flywheel-toyota-starlet-turbo-gt-glanza-4efte/

The other areas cover safety, rpm limmit & strength. 

fid_fidanza_flywheel_top_angle_mar20.jpg

Edited by Sam44