Just to give you an update on what I've done. Bought the car as a rolling shell, bought an engine that had knocking on a big end.

Stripped it down, re ground the crank and fitted main and big end bearings to match, had a new piston and rod too. Built everything up, put engine and dash looms in, everything is pretty much there now. But.... I've had the engine idling as normal sounds good, but my oil light keeps coming on and stays there even when warm. The oil is going somewhere, and just today ran it up with the rad cap off and there seems to be a bit of foam starting to form when at normal running temp. There's no bubbling at all. Bleeds up fine gets warm inside reads temp ok. 

It's a brand new head gasket, are there certain head gaskets to stay away from? 

I would always use a Toyota gasket for a sub 250 hp build or a cometic gasket from upwards of 250 hp just my opinion as I’ve had cheaper gaskets fail really easy. Search Matt berry on YouTube he does a really great video on starlet head gaskets 

10 hours ago, stevie82 said:

I would always use a Toyota gasket for a sub 250 hp build or a cometic gasket from upwards of 250 hp just my opinion as I’ve had cheaper gaskets fail really easy. Search Matt berry on YouTube he does a really great video on starlet head gaskets 

+1