Weird blowing noise and cooling water evaporation

Hi guys.

Something weird happened. A mid pitch tone blowing noise came out in second gear while accelerating. The noise came out after the engine head has been rectified. The most obvious reason could be the inlet not being perfectly tight on the head. Let me know your thoughts. Don’t tell me it could be one of the intercooler hoses because I checked them several times.

The second weird thing that could be much worse is that yesterday evening RPM went weirdly up around 2500 going up and down. Right after water temperature started to raise quickly so I turned the engine off. I waited until I could open the radiator and noticed that it was dry. Two weeks ago I checked the water level that never has been an issue on this engine and the previous 4EFE. The water level was OK. I still put some extra liquid because I was about to travel 350 km. I don’t know what happened yesterday but I want to know your opinion. An old turbo water hose leaking? The big hoses are completely fine. I didn’t find any sugar around. The thermostat housing is perfect. New thermostat changed a few months ago. The engine never had any temperature issue. 
Listen to this. A famous mechanic I know said that when you do the process of rectification on the head level you might be careful to not create a gap that could get fire in and burn the gasket. There is a calculation you can do to see if you are within parameters but nobody does that. I don’t trust the people that did the job and I might be right. The water went somewhere. I never had temperature raising so what could’ve happened?

1 hour ago, Frankieflowers said:

Hi guys.

Something weird happened. A mid pitch tone blowing noise came out in second gear while accelerating. The noise came out after the engine head has been rectified. The most obvious reason could be the inlet not being perfectly tight on the head. Let me know your thoughts. Don’t tell me it could be one of the intercooler hoses because I checked them several times.

The second weird thing that could be much worse is that yesterday evening RPM went weirdly up around 2500 going up and down. Right after water temperature started to raise quickly so I turned the engine off. I waited until I could open the radiator and noticed that it was dry. Two weeks ago I checked the water level that never has been an issue on this engine and the previous 4EFE. The water level was OK. I still put some extra liquid because I was about to travel 350 km. I don’t know what happened yesterday but I want to know your opinion. An old turbo water hose leaking? The big hoses are completely fine. I didn’t find any sugar around. The thermostat housing is perfect. New thermostat changed a few months ago. The engine never had any temperature issue. 
Listen to this. A famous mechanic I know said that when you do the process of rectification on the head level you might be careful to not create a gap that could get fire in and burn the gasket. There is a calculation you can do to see if you are within parameters but nobody does that. I don’t trust the people that did the job and I might be right. The water went somewhere. I never had temperature raising so what could’ve happened?

That could be a lot of things Frankie.

Coolant hose / radiator leak, should be able to see / smell. Bad radiator cap not holding pressure.

Head gasket failure (is there white smoke from the exhaust or coolant and oil mixing?) was it a genuine Toyota gasket? If you take the spark plugs out and shine a torch down in to look at the pistons they should have black soot on them. If they are clean then water is steam cleaning them. The do kits to test for CO2 in coolant.

The wax thermostat on the Throttle body has coolant to warm it up, could it have corroded through (high idle 2500 going up and down?) leaking into inlet manifold? Unlikely.

I've had a heater matrix burst before (wet carpet, smell of coolant in car)

Its weird that the radiator was empty, but you then filled it up and next time you checked it was ok.

Thank you for your message.

I will check if the Pistons are clean or not. It doesn’t seem that the exhaust color is different and there is white smoke. 
The idle running up and down around 2000 RPM was weird. I want to look into it better especially because I associate that glowing mid range noise when accelerating in second gear. Very weird.

The radiator isn’t new but healthy. I will check today if there is a leak but I can already tell that there is no smell and tracks of sugary elements anywhere I can see. That is why I was thinking about the waterline to the turbo that could be old. Actually if you could tell me which hoses I could use to replace them?

yesterday night we had to put tapwater in to get home and the car was perfectly fine. What do you suggest now to avoid minerals ruin the system? Should I empty the system and put water coolant in or should I go with distilled water?

my mechanic told me I can go tomorrow to check leaks with the water pressure instrument. I didn’t know about the test to see if there is CO2 in the water coolant. I will check that as well. 

16284-11040 is the part number for the rubber hose that feeds coolant to and from the turbo. 2 required per vehicle. But you would see if that was the leak.

Idle speed problems (2000rpm) could also be the idle air control valve. I would do a diagnostic check also just in case there are any codes.

If it was my car, I would get the cooling system pressure tested at your mechanics and when you have found the problem then change the tap water for pre mixed coolant. It's unlikely to freeze in summer and it won't be in the engine long enough to do any mineral damage. Your choice really.

I agree. I checked the piston heads taking out the spark plugs and nothing seems different as usual. Hi drowned the water system and it was clean without any oil. I put new liquid coolant and leveled it. Went for a drive and after two hours I checked the level that was already down. I drove home and had to put at least 100 ML liquid. There is no area where I see sugar or leak tracks. Consider that external temperature right now is around 34°. The water pump is new because I did everything I could to refresh the engine before the swap. If it happens suddenly it means that something changed. I also checked the oil and it doesn’t seem contaminated. It could be the radiator but it doesn’t seem to show signs of leak or areas of evaporation. The radiator cap seems to be perfect and the spring works well. If the water would be in the oil then the oil would be foam. Right?

tomorrow I should be able to go to my mechanic and try the water system pressure to understand more about this leak. I really don’t want to destroy the engine. 638676E3-153D-4C01-850A-7C2F3DB900EE.thumb.jpeg.f57144192539496290ac5543eb0a7125.jpeg

98A7855B-26DD-4451-891F-4CB95A3AD773.thumb.png.3af9a1e492bd0b8308c68c09a7854904.pngThe liquid is getting out from underneath the thermostat cup. I tighten the bolts but after I went for a ride I noticed that it was still leaking. I will have to check again and I really hope it’s not a crack in the engine head. The lower bolt was loose but then I tightened it and it’s still leaking. 

Edited by Frankieflowers

The orange "string" looks like gasket sealant used to seal the thermostat housing to the head? Too much sealant can come off and then got stuck in the thermostat I guess. Hope the heads ok.

Did you use a Genuine Toyota head gasket for the rebuild?

Edited by Claymore
Just now, Frankieflowers said:

I tookfrom the box the last thermostat I had in the engine before changing it with one that opens at a lower temp  it was someone’s advise (don’t remember who).

with the smaller ring thermostat and perfect gasket it went perfectly in sight and it stopped leaking!

Just now, Frankieflowers said:
3 minutes ago, Frankieflowers said:

I tookfrom the box the last thermostat I had in the engine before changing it with one that opens at a lower temp  it was someone’s advise (don’t remember who).

with the smaller ring thermostat and perfect gasket it went perfectly in sight and it stopped leaking!

Expand  

302B942F-C3A5-45D0-9A1D-1608386D1252.thumb.jpeg.18ed315de91c9f78bccf5bab096e88ee.jpeg980D19B0-6B5A-43DE-B862-F9EA8462EB18.thumb.jpeg.fb5baf0a66efbdfd282ecc4b0216e3d3.jpeg

@ClaymoreI solved the problem changing the thermostat. The gasket was loose so the cover wasn’t sealing properly. This happened I think because are used a different thermostat that I don’t remember who suggested me was better to keep the engine temperature lower for the reason that the spark plugs were white gray. So I put back the OEM thermostat I had in the box and no more leak! Thank you for your help. 

17 hours ago, Frankieflowers said:

@ClaymoreI solved the problem changing the thermostat. The gasket was loose so the cover wasn’t sealing properly. This happened I think because are used a different thermostat that I don’t remember who suggested me was better to keep the engine temperature lower for the reason that the spark plugs were white gray. So I put back the OEM thermostat I had in the box and no more leak! Thank you for your help. 

It was Sam44 that suggested you use a low temp. thermostat. I just supplied the part number in case you wanted to try it. 

I personally don't like them and only use the normal one for the engine.

In your photo it looks like the seal got pinched and cut the bottom off it.

Happy that it's all sorted now. :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, Claymore said:

It was Sam44 that suggested you use a low temp. thermostat. I just supplied the part number in case you wanted to try it. 

I personally don't like them and only use the normal one for the engine.

In your photo it looks like the seal got pinched and cut the bottom off it.

Happy that it's all sorted now. :thumbsup:

I have to say that I will continue using the stock thermostat. The problem I had with the spark plugs was probably caused by the engine recovery mode that I drove with a while due to the wrong wiring on the water temp sensor. I will check spark plugs in a few weeks to see if something changes but at least I will not blow the engine because of the liquid leak :)