Thanks Guys, feels amazing to finally have it running. I know there are issues that need looking at but everything else is just minor now and its just a case of a LOT of small jobs.

@ Josh, i was thinking i get the side panels made in something simple like black ABS sheet and have a full graphic wrap done over the top. Needs to be something mental me thinks. Basically if you look at the side section, the panels will cover the lower part of the sides and extend up at the back slightly to in line with the coilover tops. Need to have a think of some designs?!?!?Best part is i can literally make the side panels, and send them to you to be wrapped, that is if thats cool with you?

Jason

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Josh, i was thinking i get the side panels made in something simple like black ABS sheet and have a full graphic wrap done over the top. Needs to be something mental me thinks. Basically if you look at the side section, the panels will cover the lower part of the sides and extend up at the back slightly to in line with the coilover tops. Need to have a think of some designs?!?!?Best part is i can literally make the side panels, and send them to you to be wrapped, that is if thats cool with you?

Jason

This would be easy to do :p as long as you have some ideas what you want we can make it happen!

• 4 weeks later...

Well it’s been a few weeks without an update so I think its about that time. As usual work has been mental, it never seems to ease up to be honest but its just getting more and more crazy.

Anyway since running the buggy a few weeks back a few problems where clear. Have a oil leak which I believe is the oil pump, not a huge problem as when I take the engine out later I will sort it out then. Can be seen here….
2013-02-22070608_zpsb3e0503d.jpg

One of the copper coolant lines also needs re soldering as there is a small leak on one of the joins and I still have to get to the bottom of why the rear brakes won’t bleed. I just need to find time to get on with a few bits.

Despite the lack of time I have been working on a few parts on and off now and then.

Firstly I have made some weld on tabs that will be added along the frame to fix the ABS side panels on. Rather than drilling into the frame I have decided to keep the frame free from holes and add brackets on that will secure the bodywork in place. Got down to homebase and bought some steel brackets that where then modified, way cheaper than going the laser cutter route.

Started off like this…
2013-03-09114829_zps897f3130.jpg
Sanded down, drilled out holes…..
2013-03-09114844_zps6b8a788e.jpg
Then cut up into individual brackets, nice and light as well……
2013-03-09132406_zps4f97ecc5.jpg

Still need to order up some ABS sheet but I want to hold off until the brackets are on the buggy and I have some card templates made up also.

The other job I have been looking at is the induction pipework. I have the air filter already mounted on its own bracket but have held off on making the pipework for it as I was still unsure about what turbo I will be running. Recently decided I should just keep with the little original CT9 turbo. Its only small but am I really going to need more power? Spools up well and replacements are nice and cheap so why change it.
With this finally decided I could make the induction pipework up. The turbo inlet size is only a measly 41mm and the K&N filter I have has a 89mm size hole in it. So its clear I was going to need some reducers to get this to work. Firstly I looked at the filter side of things, got a alloy single piece reducer from ebay which was a 65-45mm reducer. Then made up a nylon ring to fix it to the filter….
2013-02-28124238_zps9fdf039c.jpg
And all put together and trimmed down….
2013-02-28130109_zps777f16a6.jpg

Then I needed to look at the turbo side of things. The air filter is lined up perfectly with the turbo so its just a straight line to join the two together, that is of course if the oil filter wasn’t placed in the way! Now I could get a relocation kit for the oil filter and I still might do this but it doesn’t give any more room as the oil filter bracket is still in the way. So I needed to create pipework that goes up and over the filter. I could have done this with silicone joins but this gets expensive and looks a bit bodge job. So I planned on doing it with stainless mandrel bends.
Firstly got a lime green reducer 90 degree bend, this fixes directly to the turbo and bends up away from the oil filter and steps the size up to the 45mm size that is on the filter.
2013-03-01103114_zpsa86ea3e4.jpg
These pictures show the oil filter smack bang in the way and what route the pipework needs to take…
2013-03-04130747_zpscb1bcd55.jpg
2013-03-04130803_zpscf613974.jpg

So then done a deal for 3x 45mm stainless steel tubes with nice tight radius bends….
2013-03-08121310_zpsbe02432e.jpg

And then a lot of cutting, sanding and fettling I was left with this…
2013-03-08174425_zpsc115b2b8.jpg
Cut a small section of the silicone bend down to use as a joiner on the filter side and got it test fitted…..
2013-03-08174201_zps66cdbb96.jpg

Then the pipework was sent off to a complete legend, Steve (from Muddybuggies Forum). Wasn’t expecting a quick turn around and to be honest I wasn’t in a rush but he got it welded up and back to me very quickly indeed. When it arrived it looked like this….
2013-03-16100901_zps9e2f56ce.jpg

Very happy with it and Steve insisted that I should polish it up. Wasn’t really too fussed as its mostly out of the way but thought I would give it a go anyway.
Got to work with a wire wheel and some scotch bright and a little after it looked like this….
2013-03-16155350_zps7143420b.jpg

More than happy with how it came out but thought I should give it a go with the bench polisher we have in the machine shop and the results speak for themselves….
2013-03-17085211_zps8f3fefb4.jpg

And fitted in place…..
2013-03-17085328_zps0f1937a1.jpg
2013-03-17085430_zps3a67d3be.jpg

Steve’s welding is great and its nice to have some of his work on the buggy.

That’s pretty much it for now, although im already starting on the next update. Have got some stainless flat bar that im going to use to add some strength to the arch’s as they rub against the tyres when they bounce up and down when driving along and hopefully get the welder at work fixed so I can start welding the brackets and a few more bars onto the frame so I can build the bodywork.

Another update soon people.

Jason :D

• 7 months later...

o.O Has this been made at the Intec Science Centre? - I've been here a few times and notice that familiar car park when you have been running it. I could be wrong, but the last few times I've been there i haven't seen this buggy i would've jizzed everywhere having a look over it!

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while now without an update and im sorry to say the updates will be few and far between. I have had to move the project out of the workshop, currently under a tarp on my drive rusting away :-( sad days. But dont worry guys and gals... THIS PROJECT WILL GO ON. I am currently building my own house and its taking up all my time. The plan is to build a double garage/workshop so i can finish the car but the house comes first. I need somewhere to live!

Yes, i work at Intech, and up until a few months ago thats where it was! Some parts are still there but not the demon itself! Any motivational comments welcome, need this built!

Jason :)

Been a while now without an update and im sorry to say the updates will be few and far between. I have had to move the project out of the workshop, currently under a tarp on my drive rusting away :-( sad days. But dont worry guys and gals... THIS PROJECT WILL GO ON. I am currently building my own house and its taking up all my time. The plan is to build a double garage/workshop so i can finish the car but the house comes first. I need somewhere to live!

Yes, i work at Intech, and up until a few months ago thats where it was! Some parts are still there but not the demon itself! Any motivational comments welcome, need this built!

I'm suprised i've been there 3/4 times with work, I work at the company who supply your telephone system. Always liaise with i think its Paul?

Still sorting a few things in the background with this. Once house is watertight i can get that a bit further along and then look at building the double garage/workshop. Thats when the fun begins. At the end of the day this aint getting sold, may take me a few more years but i think you all know epic times are a coming!!!!!

@zeldoz, it was in the workshop under a cover so you may not have seen it. Paul is a great guy, work with him quite a bit. He has been helping build this also. Me and him are planning a epic europe trip in this when its built Ha.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Flippin heck i haven't updated this in over a year!!!!

I have had to put this on hold for a while as building my own house takes up all my spare time, in between working full time and all my other projects i am working through on the side. I also had a bit of a accident while working on the house and fell 9ft onto my head and shoulder which resulted in my fracturing my spine and being signed off work for 4 weeks. Lucky i didn't kill or paralyse myself but im almost back to health, apart from a bit of pain in my left arm and neck. Just need to take it easy for a few months.

Anyway..... After having to move the buggy home as i lost the space available at work it sat at home under a tarp on my trailer for ages. Was literally just rusting away as the weather was taking its toll on it. Did give it a bit of rust treatment here and there to help slow the rust down but it was getting bad. Then one weekend i stopped in to see a mate in Basingstoke (who has been helping me build it) and he was horrified to hear that it was being kept outside. He kindly offered to store it in his workshop until i found the time to continue working on it. The Brian James trailer i had was not really being used and spent most of its time just getting in the way so the decision was taken to sell it. Sold in less than 18 hours for pretty much the full asking price.

Recently work has started up a little on the buggy. I'm only spending the odd day here and there working on it but its moving forward. After having a long talk about what should be the next area to concentrate on we decided to move on with it. There are issues with brakes, wiring, driveshafts, engine, coolant pipes etc. However these are all small issues and rather than spend the time working to resolve these issues only to have to dissmantle the thing ready for powdercoat we decided to work on these when the thing is in its final build stage. So with that in mind i have decided to concentrate on the chassis. The idea is to now finish ever little bit of welding to the frame and clean it up ready for powdercoat. There are brackets that need adding for alot of things, nosecone, engine cover, panels, oil cooler. However once all of these are done the chassis should be pretty much done and shouldn't need anything else added. If i do need to add anything i can fabricate brackets that will come off of existing mounting points.

So I moved the buggy to a corner of the workshop and started to remove parts and box them up. After 2 days hard graft and a lot of head scracthing the buggy went from this....

20150202_163005_zpsw9xwhypz.jpg

20150202_163017_zpszlwmbta6.jpg

To this.......

20150206_145223_zpsnv6hco6c.jpg

20150206_145257_zpsdof53se6.jpg

Managed to get everything but the brake callipers, driveshafts and engine out. Plan is to fabricate up a load of brackets and spend a day or so welding everything onto the chassis and cleaning it all up. Then finish taking everything else off the frame and its off to powdercoat. When its back the final build can begin. I still have to work out how im doing certain things but this can all be done when i start putting it back together. The frame is going to go black, so its easy enough to touch up should i chip it. Im still unsure of the colour for the bodywork etc. Was originally thinking a bright green but some people reckon i should do everything black and keep it looking stealth. Part of my agree's with this but it ain't exactly subtle anyway so maybe bright green would be better. I also don't really think the nosecone works so i will be changing it for a more boxy version to match the frame but i can do that later when its all road legal. Good job for a winter when im not using it..........as much :)

Hopefully look at getting the welding done within the next few month's so there should be another update soon :)

As always, if anyone has any input then let me know as it all helps :)

Jason

Thanks Dude. Could never stop loving this project. Too many people start epic projects and sell them off halfway. Never going to sell this. May take me longer to build but as long as i slowly chip awat at it i will get there in the end.

Jason.

• 2 months later...

Still working at this a little in the background. Been making a few brackets for mounting oil cooler, nosecone etc.

Im planning on being at the workshop tomorrow and most of Tuesday to get most of the welding done on the frame and hopefully get the engine out. With any luck the frame should be almost ready for powdercoating soon. After next week im taking a well earned break and flying off to warmer shores for 2 weeks but hopefully crack on with it when i return and it shouldn't be too long before the frame is finally all one colour and then i can start the final build!!!!!! :)

Will hopefully add a few pictures in the next few days but im pretty busy, and i also need to find time to pack the suitcase......

oh, and im just about to start the planning application for the double garage/workshop so the little beast will finally have a perminant home!

Edited by jason_l

So Monday and tuesday i spent the day stripping down the rest of the frame and getting the engine removed. Didn't take too long as most of the work was already done. I got the brackets welded for the frame for the oil cooler also, plan is to leave this off for the moment and add it at a later date with a side duct that brings in air to it. Its sort of behind the driver at the rear (right near the oil filter) but will be boxed in when finally added.

20150427_174613_zpstxkbnnpz.jpg

Continued to strip everything off the chassis and now i am just left with the frame itself. I still have some welding and cleaning up to do before it goes to powdercoat but its getting to be a bit of a mission removing the old powdercaot to sort the welding. Been thinking about getting the whole thing shotblasted and then looking at the welding but it seems quite expensive to get it all blasted. Anyway this is how it currently looks..........

20150427_180956_zpsugv3z9l9.jpg

20150427_181010_zpsxnrzozpf.jpg

20150427_180944_zpsee5vsyl7.jpg

As you can see it is now just down to the chassis with nothing else left on it. Really hope it goes back together easy. The plan is to do the chassis a satin black colour then all the wishbones/hubs etc will be lime green. Still in 2 minds if i should do the wheels grren or leave them silver in colour???

Im off on holiday for a few weeks but when i get back the plan is to crack on with this in between all the other jobs i have.