Well, as some of you may have well seen on Facebook, big things happened to the Trust Krusher over the last month or two. I'll let pictures do the talking...

CkoP5x0.jpg

1bXVSci.jpg

94z1J5G.jpg

AqMMfwC.jpg

Full respray done by Fat Fender, and back into the original Toyota 205 Black Metallic rather than the Ford Panther Black it was in. Good job done by them, with repairs to the optional aero skirts needed to replace brackets and repair cracks etc. Luckily there were no rust goblins lurking underneath the original sill cladding. New windscreen in to get rid of all the chips and scratches, and previous bad body repairs to the passenger rear quarter made good and all dents around the body out and/or filled.

The front Livesports splitter is a replica by Id-Workz, and that was in fine shape. The Tom's spoiler is very likely to be genuine, having come from SPS-Dane/Starlet-Bristol for those of you who recognise that name from back in the day.

On the whole, I'm absolutely chuffed to bits with the car, and I can't wait to get it to some shows. I don't want to drive it about, it looks that good. Might just turn up with the front end wrapped in scenetape just to keep stone chips away!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just literally saw them now haha, great minds think alike. Unfortunately at the moment I'm unemployed, got made redundant just before December, after this Starlet had already gone in for the respray. Sod all moolah left :(

I'd quite like to get some spacers to bring the Rays out, but it seems for the 10-15mm I'd want, I'll need hubcentric spacers with longer studs putting into the hubs which seems a faff.

Bud that looks beautiful! Nice to hear you went the extra mile with all the little repairs all round too to bring her back to her best, rather than just firing a lick of paint on! Good man!

Have you considered paint protection film to keep the front end from chipping? I know Liam D had it on his old green N/A and I'll be considering it for my own some day too.

Phil.

• 2 months later...

Hah, there's already a massive chunk out of the middle of the lip, serious chip, so film would be a bit pointless now. Plus it's covered in loads of stone chips now, the joys of Lancashire County Council's obsession with chip and tarring roads around here. I'll most likely look into paint protection film when it inevitably goes in for a front end refresh in 2 years or so.

• 6 months later...

Not much to report on really. I got a job and moved into the enemy lands of Yorkshire, so the Starlet has been doing daily duties.

The Ogura clutch has finally started to slip. A quick browse of Nengun later and... Well.

IMAG1242.thumb.jpg.4c2eed2cfd6d928189fd0

Brand new Ogura ORC309

In addition to that, I also ordered a Hypersport short shift kit.IMAG1251.thumb.jpg.98e2c552cb5079c6dbcff

Both of these items should be getting fitted the week after next, all going well. :D I think the new pressure plate will take my leg by surprise, as I'm sure it's taking less pressure to use the Ogura I have in at the moment than is normal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not completely sold on the Hypersport short shift kit, but I don't know how much of that is syncros getting worn. Hard to get into second most of the time, have to wiggle it a bit to get the shifter into 2nd. The throw is much improved in general however, with the lower (2nd, 4th, R) gears having slightly shorter throw than the upper (1st, 3rd, 5th) gears

Other than that, no issues to report. Rear wiper motor looks to be giving, or have given, up the ghost; currently the wiper arm is parked upright. Going to get a bit of WD on it in the New Year to see what that does.

7 hours ago, Bluebear said:

Not completely sold on the Hypersport short shift kit, but I don't know how much of that is syncros getting worn. Hard to get into second most of the time, have to wiggle it a bit to get the shifter into 2nd. The throw is much improved in general however, with the lower (2nd, 4th, R) gears having slightly shorter throw than the upper (1st, 3rd, 5th) gears

Other than that, no issues to report. Rear wiper motor looks to be giving, or have given, up the ghost; currently the wiper arm is parked upright. Going to get a bit of WD on it in the New Year to see what that does.

I fitted the same short shifter a few weeks ago and find 1st wild hard to get most times, put it towards 2nd then 1st goes no bother. No other issues with it tho.

Sweet car buddy :)

• 7 months later...

I've not updated this in a bit! Moved over to Yorkshire for work a year ago and had less space to do anything to the car so other than small things, not much has happened.

Had a race-spec rocker and catch can lying around for ages so finally got these to Rob-H (RCH Engineering) to get the baffle spot welds drilled out and tapped for bolting back in so everything could be properly cleaned. Good job I did as well as there were deposits of caked oily sand from a previous paint job! Ended up getting both the rocker and catch can powdercoated to gloss black, and also bought some Magnecor red leads to really tiden up the engine bay. Cheers to Rob for making up the bracket that I needed for the catch can also, as well as helping me fit it all.

bVcrC9b.jpg

NqnVquf.jpg
Yuck. Wouldn't have been good for the engine!

bkfDdxb.jpg

hfQlsEs.jpg
All installed!

The next change is a fairly big one, and has already prompted a bit of outrage... I've been informed there will no longer be mulled cider for me at future JAE's :lol:

FqBsqSY.jpg
Out with the old :cray:Gonna miss these like fuck, as impractical they were for tyre and brake upgrade choice.

US6Sdig.jpg
And...

OLNEnS9.jpg
...in...

UqCRuWT.jpg
...with the new! 15x7 Enkei NT03

As good as the Volks looked, these have filled out the arches perfectly with the AD08Rs (maybe just a bit too perfectly on the rear!). No idea what offset it is, guesstimations were around 38-40, but that could be hugely out as I was on my back trying to measure it while they were on the car...
Eventual plan will be to refurb them in a classic bright silver or go for more of an athranticite colour.

---

With having just been on a holiday to Oslo to see friends etc, money will be low for the next few months. Once I have stuff squared away, I can then start saving up slowly for some standalone antics. Externally and in the bay, the car is mostly 'finished', with relatively small things that I need to get sorted (rubbing intercooler hardpipes etc).

Time to not post an update for six months again :p

• 1 year later...

Quick update as there's not been much to report on!

Had an issue before the Christmas period where the Starlet was not running right at all. Spark was fine, but nothing was happening in cylinder 2 at all, there was barely any heat getting into it but I also tested the injectors for signal/continuity and they came back fine as well. Plug was very sooty. Compression test revealed there was low compression on cylinder 2, which pointed to either fucked valves or rings as oil and coolant looked fine and there was no steam. At this point I'm thinking the worst, that there's a big hole melted into my forged piston or something just as bad. Left it sat on the courtyard in disgust while I went and got a daily driver Aygo 😂

Come February, my mates picked it up and taken it to his garage to get it stripped down and investigated. Leakdown test showed that the piston was sealing fine, happy days. It's taken a while to get back round to it again due to him being swamped with work on mobility assist and essential worker vehicles, but he managed to get the head off in a rare quiet period and found that the exhaust valve on cylinder 2 hasn't been closing properly and is heat damaged. Piston top and head look fine for first look, just very covered in carbon.

Will update as I find out more, but hopegully it'll just be a case of replacing the valve! I've asked for him to check over the fuelling as a precaution as it's something that I've never looked into during my time owning the Starlet, not even when I first got in on the road after being sat.