Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you guys, really means a lot.

Update: I am still working on this although very slowly. lol

Good to see your still on it, the end product will be awesome

Im like you, proper slow.

Which also remind me i need to update my thread

Thanks guys

On 7/28/2015 at 9:12 PM, Bluebear said:

Will we see her at JAE? Would look a treat there :)

Not this year, maybe not next but one day this will be at shows, I hope.

Gavin

Edited by enzo_e492901
9 hours ago, enzo_e492901 said:

HAHA 5 years later. Oh Well.

All photos have been fixed.

Also, maybe updates soon because believe it or not this project is still alive. Just.

Gavin

Awesome build mate, thanks for taking the time to fix the photos. So many build threads ruined by the photobucket fiasco.

Good work, looking forward to the updates.

Was just wondering, you tried the corolla tubular intake manifold and switched back to the short runner fte style manifold. Can I ask why? I assume the power delivery changed or reduced?

Cheers mate. Ha yeah, Photobucket certainly did earn the title of the hosting company that broke the internet. Well deserved title if you ask me.

There are a few reasons I changed back to the earlier intake manifold. I know nobody really knows if it's in the ECU or manifold or both but it supposedly makes more power and I guess it felt like it fitted my driving style better. It also allows easy hooking up of some of the engine sensors needed for the older Corolla or starlet Gi ECU. 

Gavin

Edited by enzo_e492901
28 minutes ago, enzo_e492901 said:

Cheers mate. Ha yeah, Photobucket certainly did earn the title of the hosting company that broke the internet. Well deserved title if you ask me.

There are a few reasons I changed back to the earlier intake manifold. I know nobody really knows if it's in the ECU or manifold or both but it supposedly makes more power and I guess it felt like it fitted my driving style better. It also allows easy hooking up of some of the engine sensors needed for the older Corolla or starlet Gi ECU. 

Gavin

Thanks, I think the shorter runners are better for top end and the corolla equal length is better for low / midrange power depending on which build you read! ECU could play a part, also if the cams are different it may not "agree" with the rest of the characteristics i.e. all components best for low down torque etc. Might be better on a gen 2 I guess.

Dyno will reveal all. I'm planning on using the corolla manifold on my build (gen 2, 4efe + t) Hope to get some dyno results with stock vs corolla manifold as the only change before turboing. Just wondering now what the fte mani would bring....although I only have a 6k ish rpm limit.

Good to see you back 😎. Hopefully a forum revival is beginning.

Edited by Claymore

I would love to see actual dyno evidence of the max HP and power delivery for all the manifolds. It's something no one has done yet for the N/A engine.

You are definitely right, you don't get the full benefit of the 1st gen manifold without a higher rev limit. The higher rev limit of the 1st gen Gi ECU i'm going to use is another reason I went with the 1st gen manifold. 

Thank you and I hope this is the start of a Starlet and forum revival. This forum used to be buzzing all day and late into the night at one point. It's so sad to see it like this.

Gavin

Edited by enzo_e492901
30 minutes ago, enzo_e492901 said:

I would love to see actual dyno evidence of the max HP and power delivery for all the manifolds. It's something no one has done yet for the N/A engine.

This is my outlook also, I have seen a few dyno plots and unless it's only one item that has been changed it can be difficult to attribute which change did what to the curve!

My theory is stock is good for low down torque (longest, thinnest diameter runners, need to measure this to confirm), corolla should be better for mid range (shorter equal length, larger diameter runners) and fte manifold better top end (shortest, fat runners) assuming the revs are available. Also plenum size will change the characteristics, I've roughly calculated the corolla mani in my build thread and I'll do the same for the stock fe mani when its off. 

Hopefully be able to get some dyno runs for the first 2 atleast.

Nice build do you know about the difference between the 4efe and 4efte inlet cam??. 

Keep the great work coming watching with great interest. 

The higher rpm torque the 4efte and early power 4efe gen1 can produce is really incredible for a 1.3ltr engine.  

Thy did use a smaller throttle body I have 1 here. This was to access and control low rpm inlet gas speeds, allowing the power manifold reach its desired power level.  

I'm quite handy at reading Dyno graphs if you guys ever require another opinion. 

Edited by Sam44

Cheers mate. 

I have never had access to measure a FTE inlet cam. I have read all the available information on the internet about the differences between engines but we all know you don't believe everything you read on the internet. I had the opportunity to acquire the 5E-FHE cams so went with them. I have so far only verified the amount of extra lift at 0.75mm on inlet and 0.3mm on the exhaust. The valve timing I have not measured yet.

Gavin

Edited by enzo_e492901

Yeh that's what I'm getting I've got a set of 5ehfe cams here off the acis manifold model.

I might be wrong but was it yourself that designed a inclosed engine breather system using 3x check valves on a catch can. 

Edited by Sam44

No problem and thank you. I always try and learn as much as I can because I remember the old saying "A man with only a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and I will only share knowledge if I feel I can explain things as simple as possible because that usually means it is understand in depth.

Anyway, always glad to help people if I am able.

Good luck with the breathing system, the theory of engine breathing and catch cans has got to be one of the most debated subjects around modding cars.

Gavin

Edited by enzo_e492901
  • 5 weeks later...

I've just properly gone threw your very impressive build. 

Fantastic work. Really very impressive. Can I ask what size the internal diameter of the gi throttle body is. 

The reason is I've supposedly have been sold a ep80 gi gen1 4efe but it's looking like it might be an early ae101 corrola gen1 4efe. Going off your pictures the rods on this are thinner and the pistons have a higher dome. What rpm limit does the gi have. 

Edited by Sam44

Thank you. I like to do my best.

I think the Gi throttle body is 50mm. I don't know for sure because when the Gi engine was fitted to my car they used the ep91 UK throttle body (because of sensor differences) and circumstance ment I never got my hands on it.

I don't know about ep80s but as I understand it all ep82 4E-FEs came with pink injectors. I believe the early corolla 4E-FEs had dark green injectors.

A higher dome you say? Interesting.

I think the Gi 4E-FEs have a 7200 rev limit. Again not sure because the UK ECU was used and i've only tested the Gi ECU with half the sensors missing so was not about to find out what the rev limit was. However based on this image that shows the difference between early and late engines I have assumed it would be 7200 RPM because that's the limit of 4E-FTEs.

tutorials-2-1267401327.png.f5ada433e4522e450789c0abcbb17a27.png

Sorry I can't be more help.

Gavin

Edited by enzo_e492901

Thanks for the info Gavin. 

Yeh the pistons I have here have a really big dome (raised crown). I'm just looking into rpm range of the gen1 ae101 corrola now. as I'd expect it to have a lowwer rpm limit like on the ep91 starlet because of the heavier piston crown. 

The throttle body I have here is an early 4efe gen type but is only around 37 to 40mm in diameter I'll add a picture to this post. It could even be 35mm. 

The interesting thing here is the 5efe has the same compression ratio as the 4efe but the piston dome is tinny almost a flat top piston. We discovered that the rod length made up the extra. This brings me back to your engine, I don't suppose you measured your rods?. 

This is not relating to the 4efe only the 5efe but 1 main problem here is aftermarket forged 5e rods are the same length as factory rods so it's very hard to drop compression ratio on a boosted 5e engine with out removing a shed load of meterial from the head side of the combustion chamber. We are just in the process of building a forged 5e engine at present. 

This is a very handy way of reducing piston weight and increasing the rpm limit. It will affect the crank to rod ratio impacting engine torque output. 

The grubby looking throttle body is the unit of the supposably gi engine I've purchased. You can see the step in the alloy housing around the butterfly flap. The other 2 units are off the ep91 4efe for size comparison. 

This does make sense because using the power inlet manifold and a small throttle would help both peak power and lower rpm flow control with the perfect size throttle body that does not limit peak power. 

If there is a difference in rod length on the gi 4efe gen1 it would come in very handy for future plans on the stardo build I'm currently working on. 

IMG_20200814_230205.jpg

IMG_20200814_230728.jpg

Edited by Sam44

Now that is a small throttle body butterfly.

This is very Interesting info. I am so rusty with all the engine info/differences. It's frustrating trying to remember everything I know I knew once. haha.

Unfortunately I didn't measured the rods.

Gavin

Edited by enzo_e492901
12 hours ago, Sam44 said:

The grubby looking throttle body is the unit of the supposably gi engine I've purchased. You can see the step in the alloy housing around the butterfly flap. The other 2 units are off the ep91 4efe for size comparison. 

IMG_20200814_230205.jpg

IMG_20200814_230728.jpg

Does the tiny tb have a part number on it you can trace?

Also the top left tb in the first pic has the plastic cable quadrant pulley and a different ICV, think it's from the bug eye corolla.

1 hour ago, Claymore said:

Does the tiny tb have a part number on it you can trace?

Also the top left tb in the first pic has the plastic cable quadrant pulley and a different ICV, think it's from the bug eye corolla.

I'll clean it up and have a look for the part number.

I think the other throttle is off a Paseo. it came with the 5e engine, but the engine did come in boxes, it had been stripped by the person I got it off.

there's every chance its off another vehicle.