Brake Caliper/handbrake Problem

Hi

Basically i took my 97"Glanza V In For An MOT. Failed on "Low Parking Brake Efficiency" and the garage had told me that i need a new "rear passinger caliper" because something has latched or stuck and thats whats causing my handbrake not to work properly. So...

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

And does anyone know where i can get a working Rear Passinger Caliper From?

And how much is it roughly?

Please help, ive only got till the 22nd To get everything fixed, much appricated

Thanks

Matt

As well as the caliper (good second-hand is the only real UK option here?) it's a good idea to check that the cables are in good condition and moving freely, this is normally the problem with MR2's when the handbrake is pants (ie, if you're lucky it might be the cable, not the caliper!).

could well be your cables mate. jack up the read of the car with the handbrake on and if your wheels move freely then check the cables. otherwise rebuilding it is probs your best option.

id go with a second hand caliper and get a decent mechanic to fit it, unless you can, with the rebild kits its a lot of messing around than just old off new on, but like keri said check the cable, un clip it from the caliper, clamp some mole grips on it and try and push it in and out, if it moves freely then ok, spray some wd40 do the sleeve to help prevent it from doing it, but if its stiff get another too.

• 2 weeks later...
could they tell if its just the cable or the caliper?

Yup (at least they can check the cables), they'll need to take them off and see how they feel. If the cables are ok it probably is the calipers after all.

can you actually buy the part of the cable for just that one caliper?

Front bit:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m19b0s1300p4217

Left and right bits:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m19b0s1300p50283 - Starlet Turbo EP82 01/1992 onwards & ALL EP91

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m19b0s1300p11514 - Starlet Turbo EP82 up to 01/1992

11514-11702-full-starlet-turbo-handbrake-cables-663.jpg

I had the exact same problem recently, if the little seal on the end of the cable is broken down water can collect in the cable as it dips down before heading up again.

Pull off the offending cable, spray some WD40 down there and work it until it's free. Then check that your caliper works, there is like a ratchet system in there so pull on the lever a few times and make sure it stops the wheel. If not then rebuild it with a kit from toyota.

Then adjust the handbrake inside the cabin. In my case it was just the cable siezed up.

• 3 years later...

I had the exact same problem recently, if the little seal on the end of the cable is broken down water can collect in the cable as it dips down before heading up again.

Pull off the offending cable, spray some WD40 down there and work it until it's free. Then check that your caliper works, there is like a ratchet system in there so pull on the lever a few times and make sure it stops the wheel. If not then rebuild it with a kit from toyota.

Then adjust the handbrake inside the cabin. In my case it was just the cable siezed up.

do i take the cable completely off the car and remove d rubber guards r do i take it off at d brake and just spray it down the guard without removing it

Big respect for using the search function.

When I had a sticky cable I took it off, stuck one end in a coke bottle of light oil, taped it up and hung the bottle upside down to let the oil run down into the cable.

This can be bad cause oil holds dirt and scratches the plastic cable over the years BUT it passes mot.

I seen on a post of morgeys if the handbrake lever on top of the caliper sticking cause its dirty/rusty. Give that a good clean first and compare it to the other side.