2ZZ-GE into Starlet conversion at Woodsport

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only these - it's an ongoing project over at Woodsport. I'm watching the thread so I'll give you updates!

DSCN0754.jpg

DSCN0752.jpg

Paul says (edited slightly by me):

...the rev3 3s-gte tends to be around the 178kg region (wet), the E153 is 60.5kgs (wet) making a total of 238.5kgs (approx).

The 2zz-ge is 118kgs (wet) and the 6 speed box is around 40kgs (wet) making 158kgs total.....so the 2ZZ-GE setup is 80.5kg lighter than the 3S-GTE setup!

The Celica 6 speed box will work in the Starlet although there are issues with the N/S/F tyre rubbing on the gearbox casing on full lock, i plan to resolve this somehow.

...I will see what space we have left for a charger once final engine position is done, there is not a lot of room in a Starlet engine bay.

Here's an update!

Today saw the other 3 engine mounts first fabrication stage completed, the drivers mount has been boxed in, just needs seam sealing before the bay gets resprayed.

DSCN0760.jpg

DSCN0761.jpg

Rear torque mount.... which was fairly straightforward in design.

DSCN0759.jpg

Front torque mount was more difficult, it has captive nuts and reinforced plates in the front crossmember tieing it in, bits of this need seam welding when i remove the mount, but that is pretty much the engine hung now, we just need to remove it to detail both engine and bay.

DSCN0756.jpg

Hi chaps, my name is Paul Woods from Woodsport, thought i'd register to say hi and answer any questions about the conversion. Thanks for spreading the word Keri!

We predominantly do Mr2 engine conversions (hundreds under our belt), with the odd Celica and Corolla so the Starlet is our first time carrying out this swap.

So far it has been a bit of a challenge, the engine has needed to be moved as far to the drivers side as possible, i've had to notch out the chassis and make all four engine mounts, also the driveshafts are customized Mk2 Mr2 ones with different outer CV joints. I have the correct endfloat on both shafts and the passenger wheel now clears the gearbox on full lock.

This is just the bare fabrication stage, the engine will now get dropped out, everything made pretty and refitted during a final fit... so i'll keep you guys updated with pics if you like.

(note to admin: If i'm infringing the forums trader/affiliation rules i'm more than happy to sign up as a trader to legally pimp my wares ;) )

We can basically carry out any Toyota engine swap you can imagine (ok i draw the line at 2jz into Starlet!) , you might want to see my own Mk1 Mr2 V8 project, Audi S8 4.2, 350bhp and still a WIP, but an example of how extreme we can go.

http://www.woodsport.org/joomla/index.php/...onversions.html

Thanks Paul.

Ive thought of this conversion many a time, unfortunately with ADR's (Australian Design Rules) you cannot touch the chassis rails at all....which sucks because this engine in a starlet will be very very nice!!!

Will this car be made for the road or will it be a track beast??

Paul

It'll be a road car this one.

Stage two of the project will be adding a rotrex supercharger but for now we just want to get a working 2zz-ge in there.

Keri do you do a front brake upgrade for the Starlet? The customer is going to want some so i'll shove him your way if you can do some.

It'll be a road car this one.

Stage two of the project will be adding a rotrex supercharger but for now we just want to get a working 2zz-ge in there.

Keri do you do a front brake upgrade for the Starlet? The customer is going to want some so i'll shove him your way if you can do some.

Sweeeeet! :)

I do indeed do Starlet kits, see: www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=234

very excited for this paul,

im looking in to paint still. ill pop round tomorrow with the wheel to check for clearance. just have to fit some new bushes to my civic for its mot so hopefully i should be round in the afternoon we can sort out brakes too.

Quick update, NSF wheel to gearbox casing clearance issues all sorted now, all fabrication work has been completed and the engine is now back out for final dressing and installation.

The previous garage to work on this car had disabled the dual circuit brakes, by plastic welding over the reservoir output hole and plumbing all of the brakes onto one circuit (the dangers involved in doing this beggar belief!) ,Anyway it was so badly bodged i had to replace all of the brake servo/MC, so i have used a complete Mk3 Mr2 assembly with a modified actuating arm, which will work perfectly.

Also modified a Camry 3.0 throttle cable to fit the bulkhead, this will reach the 2zz throttle, it's actually the perfect length. I love dipping into the Toyota parts bin and finding the solution from another model, keeps it all Toyota which is pretty cool.

I'll have some pics shortly when we start the cosmetic eye candy bits.

Must say I am looking forward to seeing how the Starlet turns out after looking on your site, tht MR8 is just awsome!!

But surely if that is possible then so would a 2JZ Starlet would be, I say do it!! :p

Cant wait to see this Starlet being built up :D

And on your V6 Starlet comment, I am pretty sure Geo (site owner) is building a V6 Starlet, or has something in the pipeline anyway?

Welcome to the club by the way :D

We are now at the making things pretty stage, Chris has chosen a nice deep purple and Lambo Murcielago Green to contrast that, at first i didn't think this colour scheme was going to work but i think it suits it very well...

DSCN0775.jpg

DSCN0776.jpg

DSCN0779.jpg

The green top cover is not the same as in these pics, it is a pearlescent colour so it doesn't react well to camera flash, the actual colour is considerably darker with a gold and bronze pearl running through it....

DSCN0781.jpg

I added a chrome Toyota badge...

DSCN0788.jpg

Dummy fitted the whole lot onto the engine to see what it's going to look like, throttle body has been done satin black....

DSCN0790.jpg

DSCN0787.jpg

Also the gearbox has been cleaned, prepped and painted the same shade as the cars bodywork... this is yet to get its new driveshaft oil seals, the bracketry going onto this will be in a contrasting black i think.

DSCN0772.jpg

Once the engine bay is painted it will get its final refit, should look quite good!