Akyakapotter's Forged Glanza V

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking hell Nick, you just aren't catching a break with this car at all are you?

No mate its really annoying me now.

Jesus Nick thing just don't go well for you at the moment!

Fingers crossed it will be a cheapish fix !

James

Will need a rebuild bud hopefully under warranty.

bad times mate keep at it hopefully just a run of bad luck and this will be the end of it.

I hope so I'm due some good luck with it lmao

Turns out the Turbo isn't covered under warranty was not happy about it but have worked it out with Mike and have come to an agreement which we are both happy with. The Turbo will be back with me Friday.

This is what was Mike received from the turbo builders.

"Right weve had a chance to inspect the turbo now, it has excessive movement both axially (in and out) and radially (side to side). The reason for this a heavily worn thrust bearing. This sort of wear is consistent with one or both of the following scenarios:

Excessive Rotor Speed as the turbo spins faster and faster oil shear occurs and the hydrodynamic bearing system begins to fail allowing components to come into contact with themselves. This removes material and the problem snowballs from there.

A breakdown in the film of oil required between components due to another situation occurring such as reduced oil pressure or oil contamination.

The excessive movement on the rotor assembly has allowed the compressor wheel to begin contacting with the radius of the compressor cover profile leading to wear on the blades. This part will require replacing. Additionally the wear to the turbocharger internally will require the fitment of oversize bearings and piston ring oil seals.

Unfortunately neither of these scenarios are covered under the warranty as they are not caused by a faulty component within the turbocharger. In order to get the turbocharger operational again it will require a full overhaul (including new piston ring oil seals and bearings)

Turns out the Turbo isn't covered under warranty was not happy about it but have worked it out with Mike and have come to an agreement which we are both happy with. The Turbo will be back with me Friday.

This is what was Mike received from the turbo builders.

"Right weve had a chance to inspect the turbo now, it has excessive movement both axially (in and out) and radially (side to side). The reason for this a heavily worn thrust bearing. This sort of wear is consistent with one or both of the following scenarios:

Excessive Rotor Speed as the turbo spins faster and faster oil shear occurs and the hydrodynamic bearing system begins to fail allowing components to come into contact with themselves. This removes material and the problem snowballs from there.

A breakdown in the film of oil required between components due to another situation occurring such as reduced oil pressure or oil contamination.

The excessive movement on the rotor assembly has allowed the compressor wheel to begin contacting with the radius of the compressor cover profile leading to wear on the blades. This part will require replacing. Additionally the wear to the turbocharger internally will require the fitment of oversize bearings and piston ring oil seals.

Unfortunately neither of these scenarios are covered under the warranty as they are not caused by a faulty component within the turbocharger. In order to get the turbocharger operational again it will require a full overhaul (including new piston ring oil seals and bearings)

Thats pretty poor show from TD if you ask me

• akyakapotter changed the title to Akyakapotter's Forged Glanza V