Charlotte's GT Advance- Massive overdue update.

So i thought i'd start a build thread biggrin.png
Finally got my hands on a GT Turbo 3 weeks ago, and have been in love with it since i saw it. I've had a Y reg, 1 litre, mk 2 clio since i passed my test, and for all the stick renault get for being shit, it was an absolute little work horse and i do still miss it sort of... smile.png So after decided i would buy the GT, i put the clio up for sale and it sold within 24 hours, and the money i got for my clio just covered how much i paid for the GT (gives you an idea of how much of a steal the GT was)
Anyways, the GT had been sat in the lads garage for nearly a year without moving, when i went to see it we got it out, fired up first time and took it down the road, and it drove like a dream- no crunches from the box, no smoke on start up, boost or overrun. It wasn't taxed or tested though, so got it trailered to my end of Hull and had it in for test a few days later. Flew through MOT apart from one of the rear callipers was jaff'd. it came with spare rear callipers anyways, and the MOT tester was errrm... sympathetic tongue.png.

Obviously drove it non stop for about 3 days, but it wasn't running up to temperature, was cold unless it was sat ticking over, so got on the old e-dogg and ordered a new thermostat which cured the problem straight away. Other than the dodgey thermostat, it came mechanically sound, and i've not had another bother with it since (mechanically...)

It is more or less standard, standard turbo and intercooler etc, but it has had the air con removed, and it has a hks fcd fitted (set it back to normal though because it's still got standard manifolds and turbo and i don't want it to go pop!) And i think it's running about 1 bar of boost but not had a boost gauge on it yet so not sure, definitely not standard boost though. It has an LSD box (and no, advances DO NOT come with LSD boxes as standard!!!) and it has a momo interior, which all advances do have as standard. It also has a 3" jperformance cat back and a bailey dump valve.

Here are photos of it the day i got it tested and taxed smile.png

2cy5x8l.jpg

27y8u11.jpg

2qlyfk8.jpg

kecj1d.jpg

Relocated the air filter to the front bumper and got rid of all the pipes, and I purchased a bonnet off aaddzz123 a week ago (the one it came with was horrendous) sticker bombed hello kitty stuff everywhere, i know sticker bombing isn't to everyone's taste, and it might be coming off again soon, but i would like to say i make all the stickers myself and vinyl them on because i am THAT cool cool.png you want random shit making into stickers/sticker bomb sheets- you come see me wink.png Fitted a hks trubo timer as well, it seems to be possessed and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't lol.

2uzv5nq.jpg

9ktb10.jpg

s6hm3l.jpg

33wwrqv.jpg

I know it's on stilts, but right now i can't afford lowering springs, and to be fair there are other things i'd rather spend my money on like oil change, gear box oil change, cambelt kit etc. Plus there isn't any sense in lowering it this time of year, the snow gets really bad round my little village and i'm not ploughing the roads for free!

Would like to say a big thank you to my better half, Sam. Most of the involved mechanics and knowledge come from him, i'm not daft i'm just not a mechanic, and i owe alot to him.

And that's as far as i've got with it so far as funds are running abit low at the moment, collecting a load more bits over this weekend though, so will update soon!

Edited by funny onion
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some advances come with them as an optional extra etc so yeah some do come with em

Looks. Nice n tidy future plans?

yeah that's true, just trying to avoid people assuming that all advances have lsd boxes as standard :)

better manifolds as soon as money permits, new clutch over christmas because i think the one thats on it might be on it's way out :). in the long run T25 turbo maybe, forged internals, rx7 intercooler maybe, civic rad, possibly see about putting N/A cams in (longer duration, more torque and power etc). nothing set in stone yet just toying with ideas at the minute

Yeah if I ever do get the car resprayed it'll be in the original Advance livery :)

I'm the other bargain LSD Advance owner Ryan was referring to lol, you have a nice clean base I'll be watching this thread :)

Also I don't really like the new sticker bombing craze with cheap amazon stickers but those Hello Kitty'ed up bits are quite fly hehe