Josh@TunerLifestyle's Project Glanza *20/06/14*

Polishing looks good mate, who did you get to do that? If you don't mind me asking.

a mate of mine did it :) he does a fine job!

UPDATE!

painted my rear strut and changed the harness bolt points rather then have them bolted direct to the body!

50A9CCEE-3F55-45EC-AF65-9F851E060EA9-483-0000001B9E3043F2.jpg

hopefully the cage will be coming out tonight to get painted up!

thinking i might put the rear plastics in while its out as i dont like how noisy it is lol make it look smarter too :)

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hou said this on my first page of my build thread :

The big issue with fixing harnesses to rear seat belt points is that in a front end crash, you risk badly damaging your spine because you, the seat and the harness can/do pivot forwards & down (think what would happen if the flimsy fibreglass seat back snapped!).

MSA (Blue Book, Part K) say that the rear harness straps are prefered at an angle of +/- 10 degrees from horizontal, down to a max of 45 degrees. So your car would be unlikely to pass scrutineering if you mount to the rear seat belt points anyway, and you won't get to a nice shallow angle without a harness bar.

Personally i took the decision that i'd rather be as safe as possible, and risk having a cage that needs re-certifying, than risk a front end impact that crushes my spine.

A poorly fitted harness will be a lot more damaging than a standard seatbelt!

Just trying to be abit safer! I may change them but not had time to look for better points

UPDATE!

spent an hour or two putting all the plastics back in ready to make a false floor :) already taken away alot of the road noise so well chuffed!

8F22D205-6310-4E72-B62D-3B287C267C99-586-0000002FD6823D6D.jpg

i had to do abit of cutting so when i put the cage back in it all bolts into place nice and easy :)

also while i was digging out the plastics i found these, anyone know what they are and where they come from?

9DA074BD-196E-421C-9C4F-D17D8F4FD2E1-687-000000372E173B72.jpg

Also i bought this from my brother for £100 :) used like 3 times and has loads of fittings! cant wait for the weather to pick up so i can have some fun!

937F760D-D574-4114-A21F-7C4A875A2EC9-621-00000030C724ABCA.jpg

As tesco says every little helps, as I said they brace against the B pillar which cages don't normally touch so they will stiffen that area.

I don't have a photo of them any better than this:

IMG_0313.jpg

They fit under the carpet and also form the part which the rear bench clips into, I took mine out originally when I stripped out the back before deciding they were a bit "structural".

ill look at putting them back in if i can :)

right! another update today!

this lunch i made way on the boot build.

i first cut some card board to the rough shape and put it under the lip of the plastic then drew a line round the plastic to get the exact shape :)

562D9E8B-53F4-4014-B7E3-D84FF8AB973C-1420-000000E2565FDCA3.jpg

7632828E-288D-43C1-9796-84A9747BA99D-1420-000000E260BCED41.jpg

Once i had done this with both sides and got some measurements i put it down on a big plastic board ( lighter than wood)

C29BC518-8809-433A-87BC-84E57C257C49-1420-000000E265BBD7E0.jpg

All i have to do now is cut it out and cover it in carpet and get some kind of foam base on it! :)

Liking the progress josh! What kind of boot build are you going for? I keep toying with the idea of putting a sub in the back somehow so I can remove my parcel shelf and put speakers in the doors lol. Guess you could remove the "sticky up bit" that holds the spare in place, put your wood over the whole boot area and have your sub sitting in the wheel well... May have to have a go myself lol.... Nice progress!

Liking the progress josh! What kind of boot build are you going for? I keep toying with the idea of putting a sub in the back somehow so I can remove my parcel shelf and put speakers in the doors lol. Guess you could remove the "sticky up bit" that holds the spare in place, put your wood over the whole boot area and have your sub sitting in the wheel well... May have to have a go myself lol.... Nice progress!

cheers :)

i am unsure at this moment! i currently have just the two tiny speakers so fek all music in the car lol i may put a sub in! also wanting a nice smooth carpet in the back so may make some kind of ninja sub! We shall see :)