Patches V - Link G4+ Standalone

Patches...cannot help to notice, tyres...185/55/r15 ?..how did it ride on those?...i have 195/50/r15 Parada spec 2's & ain't too impressed with these...there like new & was going to change them for a better tyre that actually handles damp roads & rain etc.

Yes i know Yoko's stick like crap to a blanket on 22+ degree' days & dry etc...but we rarely get decent days like that..& our summers are mainly a washout!!.

Did you stick with that size on the Toyo's?...or go for 195's?.

Cheers

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patches...cannot help to notice, tyres...185/55/r15 ?..how did it ride on those?...i have 195/50/r15 Parada spec 2's & ain't too impressed with these...there like new & was going to change them for a better tyre that actually handles damp roads & rain etc.

Yes i know Yoko's stick like crap to a blanket on 22+ degree' days & dry etc...but we rarely get decent days like that..& our summers are mainly a washout!!.

Did you stick with that size on the Toyo's?...or go for 195's?.

Cheers

I went for 195 Toyos, only on the front 2 tyres. They are alright, but i've got the boost restriction taken off in all gears so in the wet i cant floor it till 3rd gear. I've always had t1r proxies or budget so couldnt really say how they compare to other good brands

Edited by Patches
  • 3 months later...

So much has happened since my last update.

New mods since last update:

• Greddy Boost Gauge
  • GFB response dump valve (Sounds fucking awesome by the way!)
  • Monster motorsport ct9 air filter relocation kit
  • civic radiator with jd tuning brackets
  • air con removed
  • new fog lights fitted
  • walbro fuel pump (noisey fucker haha)
  • TRD organic clutch
  • TRD LSD gearbox

I have sitting waiting to be fitted

• WEPR Td04 kit
  • toyosports front mount intercooler
  • the rest of my CJ performance hose kit
  • zisco lower arm bar
  • whiteline anti lift kit

Sadly i crashed the car the other night due to some liftoff oversteer at very slow speed in the pissing rain! Absolute nightmare, damage is minor, i have the bumper and lights cable tied on at the moment. Have a look here http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/64432-shite/

But its just a good excuse to make some changes to the appearance, so i have a Genuine Varis front bumper coming next week! Thinking about ordering a livesports spoiler as well. Watch this space as theres going to be a LOT of changes coming!

mate, sad to hear you had a little crash but good to hear the modding coming on nicely

Ano man was really tempted to break but i've not had my fun out of the starlet yet!

Sad times didnt know you crashed your V looks like you got off lightly! Happens to the best of use though

onwards and upwards going to look awesome when the Varis bumper is on there :)

Cheers man yeah i think so! looking forward to getting it fitted, it should make the crash worthwhile lol!

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so bit of an update, im reshelling!

Picked this up the other day from leeg

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/patches1989/media/Starlet/20130521_214344_zpsc6f7f321.jpg.html'>20130521_214344_zpsc6f7f321.jpg

While the engines out decided to do some painting as the bay was looking a bit rusty so i sanded down all the rusty parts to bare metal and primed it up.

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/patches1989/media/Starlet/20130524_155451_zps86cdbc4b.jpg.html'>20130524_155451_zps86cdbc4b.jpg

Doing small sections at a time

I'm waiting on a whiteline anti roll bar and new bushes so i've been painting the dial surround and center console

This is the primer, finishing in 040 white of course

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/patches1989/media/Starlet/20130512_201342_zps1a58da7c.jpg.html'>20130512_201342_zps1a58da7c.jpg

Test fitting the genuine varis bumper (it needs a repair)

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/patches1989/media/Starlet/20130521_134612_zpsb5c9ec24.jpg.html'>20130521_134612_zpsb5c9ec24.jpg

nice day for a bit of reshelling,bumper looks well

Cheers man. Aye its been really nice since i got it :) lets hope it keeps up!

Glad you got the bumper safe and sound mate :) will look sweet when its all sprayed up

Yeah man it was well wrapped cheers! Cant wait to get it sprayed, full respray coming soon.

Bye bye rusty abs

20130526_171420_zps0827d6a8.jpg

Sorry to hear about the knock pal...hope you get it all back together again soon!..

I wave goodbye to my glanza next sunday..in the meantime its locked away awaiting full payment.. :)

Uch to be honest its taught me a lot about the starlets handling and pushed me to build this new car :) im taking it all as a positive! What are you having done mate?

How much does the abs weigh?

Its a good few kilos, i'd say about 3-10kg. I'll give it a weigh tomorrow

Bit of an update

20130531_193556-1_zps7b5cc4f8.jpg

Engines out of the 98, took me and a few mates about 6 hours to do it which is not bad considering none of us have done anything like that before lol! gave it a good clean yesterday. Tomorrow im changing the timing belt and water pump then finishing painting the engine bay of the 96 shell.

Next on the list is to start transferring the wiring. Looks simple enough but fiddly.

More updates soon!

glad to see u crackin on with this mate! just let me know when that windows ready to be cut out! :D

No point fucking about :p missing my daily dose of boost big time

Looking good mate

Cheers mate

Going for a roof window? Is a nice thing and saves the ac in summer.

Nah the original cars chassis is bent so the caster is off on the front right coilover and it handles pretty badly round corners and at high speed. Also the wing isnt able to be the correct shape, same with the bumper. Arch liners dont fit properly either

Good work and keep us posted

Cheers man will do!

How the shell looked inside when i got it

20130528_191553_zps472f9e58.jpg

I've since removed the dash. The 96 and 98 wiring is very different throughout the car. With the wiring in the engine bay there is a hole in the middle of the 96 bulkhead used for wiring which doesnt exist in the 98. 98 uses the gap behind the passengers side wing where the rear washer pipe goes instead.

All painted up

20130603_132920_zps555b5bfb.jpg

The engine bay wiring is in place, will get more photos

Its a bit scary when a starlet in that state arrives isnt it haha.

What did you opt for in the end then man ? 98 or 96 spec loom ?

Haha aye mate very daunting! Surprised how much im getting done mind you, glad you told me to just do it myself. Went for the 98 loom. I have an alarm wired into it so its been a bit of a nightmare trying to work out whats going on with a lot of it but managed to get it out with only having to cut 3 wires which im gonna solder tomorrow.

Engine bay wiring is in, 98 dash + wiring + heaters are in, steering racks in, 1 door swapped over.

Still got all the suspension and hubs to do. Rear loom, fuel pump, tailgate, engine back in, gear stick in, head unit... the list goes on lol

Hoping to get it running by the end of the weekend then its full respray time :)

Good stuff man !! I'd say wiring is quite a cunt of a job. You just need to know the basics and find ways to make life easier :)

Also, just do the bare minimum to get it running, then its less stuff to pull out if somethings not right.

Keep at it buddy :)

98 Spec dash in!

20130606_222143_zps06d72232.jpg

98 at the back and 96 at the front. Bros B16 coupe there as well. Having some amazing weather up in glasgow just now

20130607_132440_zps741ee6f5.jpg

Engine bay wiring is in. Also have my ABS in just now while i wait for the td abs removal kit to be ready for purchase

20130609_182534_zps78833a4e.jpg

Suspension back on for now, Not sure if i want to sell my coilovers! They are Silk Roads which i havent heard many other starlets having, very rare and JDM! Ready to drop the engine back in

20130609_182520_zps3d411aa2.jpg

I have also realised that the 96 and 98 fuel tanks are different, since i only have the 98 fuel pump assembly it might be easier to swap the fuel tanks over rather than trying to block up spare feeds. Will have to have a proper look tomorrow. Wont be long till im putting her in for her mot :)

Edited by Patches