best engine for starlet

as above what would be the best engine to fit into a starlet.not to pushed on a turbo would like it n/a. i was told blacktop wouldnt fit without cutting the chassis and since its going to be a road car i dont think i could do that.any suggestions welcome

I've done a quite basic write up on it here. One day ill get some faily detailed pictures of what and how we made the mounts etc, but for now im happy to help any way i can dude :)

/>http://www.ukstarletowners.com/index.php?showtopic=6907&st=45#entry632910

A normal 5e is ok, also a light tunned 5e is ok. But the 5e similar to the one in the JAM car wil have no low end and the fuel efficiency will be poor.

Also the N/A tunning cost a lot more than turbo...

With a 4efte, add an fcd, an HKS actuator, second hand downpipe and exhaust and a front mount filter and you can have car running to 165ps with less than €500.

If you plan on n/a go with an engine that has potential to start with or atleast a version of that engine that has a performance version.

4afe-4age/ze 20v etc

3sfe 3sge/te beams or 5sge build

Zz series 2zzge 2zzgze 1.8vvt-li (supercharged one) or boost a 1zzfe 1.8 vvt-i

5e's are ok and im sure you could get 130-50hp with the right bits but trying to find tuning bits past that would be hard and expensive for the n/a route.

Where as the 4age 20v starts at 160ish mines 175 (give or take dyno readings) with intake exhaust and flywheel, minus aircon and power steering. And imo other than the lack of p/s theres nothing stopping mine from being a daily driver. So stick a mr2 speed variable elleccy p/s pump on it and you have a winner ;)

So doing the same to a beams 3sge or 2zzge would make for a good reliable fast car. Will just cost more, but thats the price for being different!

heres where my trouble lies i cant pit in something that i will have to cut the chass yano.20valve would be what i would like over anything really.money and time arnt a huge issue really ive no problem doing it over the next year or two. to tell the truth its a throw between 20valve or sir but id like to keep it toyota..