TrisK's TOMS MK1 GT - Wheel-y big update

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job buddy, am in the middle of megasqurting my car,did u use the distrubitor for triggers or go trigger wheel, i have only 1vr so am going crank trigger wheel, i did mod a spare dizzy to a 12-1 but i never tryed it, have u tryed the ms droid app its shit cool through bluetooth, i use a rs232 bluetooth adapter plugged in to the ms configure its broad rate if u need to and your away.

TrisK "thanks kieran for giving me the idea, telling me how to go about doing it, lending me your ecu"

hey yeah no problem tristan...

Kieran thank you for talking the idea over with me. Thank you for the diagrams from your car. And thank you for lending me the ecu ( without you it never would if happened). Also thank you for answering a million questions and thank you for giving me lots of help with the start up map ;)

I always forget you have an account of here.

To those who don't know. Kieran is my fabricator, welder, engineer, assistant tuner and one of my best mates. He has a kick ass mr2. Which is where my megasquirt came from. More on that after

Nice job buddy, am in the middle of megasqurting my car,did u use the distrubitor for triggers or go trigger wheel, i have only 1vr so am going crank trigger wheel, i did mod a spare dizzy to a 12-1 but i never tryed it, have u tryed the ms droid app its shit cool through bluetooth, i use a rs232 bluetooth adapter plugged in to the ms configure its broad rate if u need to and your away.

I used the dizzy. Actually I changed nothing under the bonnet. Just plugged the Ecu in.

The installation method Kieran and I came up with doesn't even involve opening the bonnet ;)

Kieran thank you for talking the idea over with me. Thank you for the diagrams from your car. And thank you for lending me the ecu ( without you it never would if happened). Also thank you for answering a million questions and thank you for giving me lots of help with the start up map ;)

I always forget you have an account of here.

To those who don't know. Kieran is my fabricator, welder, engineer, assistant tuner and one of my best mates. He has a kick ass mr2. Which is where my megasquirt came from. More on that after

Not a problem ;)

Edited by kezajones

nice 1 trisk how is the setup on yours ???? stock dizzy or cop with crank sensor ??????

As i said before mate. Stock dizzy.

The installation for this particular megasquirt is plug and play pretty much.

Theres a few more bits to get it running right and to its best. but the whole thing will run with 100% stock sensors, and without cutting any wires in the loom.

Theres a few more bits to get it running right and to its best. but the whole thing will run with 100% stock sensors, and without cutting any wires in the loom.

with the adition of a IAT of course

Your using the 24-1 using 2 vr pickups, i was going to do that but i had to install zeal board, i rather a true crank readin and now am held up waiting on a trigger wheel from diy autotune.

Your using the 24-1 using 2 vr pickups, i was going to do that but i had to install zeal board, i rather a true crank readin and now am held up waiting on a trigger wheel from diy autotune.

Yep.

The distributor reading is imo accurate enough. It tells you RPM which is basically as it needs to do

The only issue will be if i want to go Coil on plug in the future and ditch the distrubuter. but i have an idea that was used to Rob H with a mazda cam sensor

Ms is great there is so much ways u can run it, the 12-1 dizzy mod is a mazda thing bit of messing to set up, have u done much tuning yet, i have a power fc 4efte base map am going to convert over to ms and start from there.

Ms is great there is so much ways u can run it, the 12-1 dizzy mod is a mazda thing bit of messing to set up, have u done much tuning yet, i have a power fc 4efte base map am going to convert over to ms and start from there.

Nope.

Just set the requred fuel and some really basic settings and started it.

Havent got my wideband on yet, so limited with knowing how it was running.

also had some problems with the wiring adapter id made, so remaking it.

also adapting to run an auto TPS. Couple of months and we'll be there. I used a 3SGTE base map generally. was pretty rich, but got it started.

The real bugger on the 4efte, is checking the timing, to set it to 10 degrees. Its a pain with the power steering pump on, and i cant be bothered to take it off lol

Shit can a timing light not get in there, am mad to get going at it wideband is there and all as i hav being mapping my e manage a few years now, what tps are u fitting, am in the same boat as u i will share any breakthroughs i come across lol.

Shit can a timing light not get in there, am mad to get going at it wideband is there and all as i hav being mapping my e manage a few years now, what tps are u fitting, am in the same boat as u i will share any breakthroughs i come across lol.

I found it pretty tight, with the ps pump and a engine torque damper on the way. i couldnt get it squaare on the mark.

Gonna try again another day.

Ive got a glanza automatic TPS with throttle body to fit.

can you make a diagram and info of it :) :) 1 day ???

i have a ms3 diy still not built !!!! its a real weak spot of mine the soldering and setup im a REAL NOOB in that erea

can you make a diagram and info of it :) :) 1 day ???

i have a ms3 diy still not built !!!! its a real weak spot of mine the soldering and setup im a REAL NOOB in that erea

Not much to getting this to work, it's just the plug and play mega squirt from my mr2 with an adaptor harness to convert to the starlet pin out, they share the same distributor so that all works out nicely, if you run a few extra wires to the adaptor you can run sequential injection as well, alternatively you could de-pin your standard Ecu plugs, repin them straight to the mr2 plugs and do away with the adaptor harness Edited by kezajones

Not much to getting this to work, it's just the plug and play mega squirt from my mr2 with an adaptor harness to convert to the starlet pin out, they share the same distributor so that all works out nicely, if you run a few extra wires to the adaptor you can run sequential injection as well, alternatively you could de-pin your standard Ecu plugs, repin them straight to the mr2 plugs and do away with the adaptor harness

Like Kieran said

This is the loom adapter

70062FAC-8FCB-4D70-9890-C4377711FCDD_zps

Theory is based on a PowerFC. A PowerFC was never made for the startlet. It is a 3sgte mr2 one. With a wiring adapter and a few small changes inside (sequential to batch fire/recalabration of tps etc). I used that theory and the fact you configure nearly everything in software of the megasquirt.

Also aided by the fact Kieran had an mr2 pnp megasquirt to hand meant it was a no brainer.

The adapter cost about £10 to make. And they sell the megasquirt for the mr2 already assembled for $819. Which is about £450. Pretty cheap for a plug and play stand alone right. :)

They'll be a few more adjustments, true variable tps, clutch switch etc to use the cool megasquirt features.

But the car should run and drive fine on 100% stock loom and sensors

If you didn't want to solder you could depin and repin the Ecu plugs for a truly plug and play.

If I had a glanza with the Ecu in the glovebox I probably would do this. But with a gt I didn't fancy hours lying the footwell so made the adapter on the bench

• TrisK changed the title to TrisK's TOMS MK1 GT - Wheel-y big update