hi/lo boost bypassed, turbo only boosting 6psi?

I had the hi/lo boost bypassed 2 or 3 weeks ago but only fitted my boost gauge during the week, managed a maximum of 6 PSI through all gears! Thats more like lo boost to me as hi its supposed to be at least 9/10 PSI.. the only mods are a decat pipe fitted an rx7 intercooler.

Ive checked for leaks and all pipes/fittings are tight and secure, but from doing a search all i can seem to find is that without the VSV or boost controller fitted, the turbo is controlled by the actuator now and therefore the spring pressure in the actuator.. So what i imagine is when the turbos generating 6psi the wastegate is opening and controlling boost at this maximum pressure level as its all what the worn out spring can only handle?

does this make sense? and if so, will buying an adjustable actuator fix the problem? (already got it coming anyway!)

Thanks,appreciate the help

Ryan

I had a look mate, it doesnt seem like it blocked off with anything!

BUT..& thers always a but! its pointing directly at the nipple on the Turbo housing, the port you link the hose from the other actuator port. And theres about 1-2 mil gap between the top of the pin and the metal nipple... which is why im making me think u cudnt even get anything in there to block it off in the first place!

but ile take a proper look in the daytime again tomoro and see if anythings in there! Thanks Stu!

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT
  • 10 months later...

Hi guys. I had bypassed the hi/lo boost and was running at 8psi (0.65 bar) perfectly. I recently got a WEPR CT9 power up kit and relocated the air filter to under the driverside headlamp too. Now after the mod, I can get only 6osi (about .4 bar)

any suggestions as to what I can do to rectify this? Car is a '96 Glanza. Appreciate the input, thanks!

Mine turned out to be an actuator problem, if youre running a standard actuator the spring may be a little weak now. As the lads said above try a HKS or Tuning Developments actuator out bud

EDIT:what did you think of your wepr ct9 power-up?

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

Hey Ryan.. thanks for the response. It did turn out that the actuator was a bit tired after all these years of service. I put in a couple of 3mm washers between the actuator bracket and the turbo. Now I am boosting 9psi and holding pretty well too.

Mate if you are thinking of getting the Power up kit, don't hesitate. Best thing you can do to the CT9, boosts in no time and is an awesome bit of kit. I run a rx7 top mount with custom pipe and relocated the air filter under the air filter under the driver side headlamp.

I only need to save up to get an external wastegate :)

Hey Ryan.. thanks for the response. It did turn out that the actuator was a bit tired after all these years of service. I put in a couple of 3mm washers between the actuator bracket and the turbo. Now I am boosting 9psi and holding pretty well too.

Mate if you are thinking of getting the Power up kit, don't hesitate. Best thing you can do to the CT9, boosts in no time and is an awesome bit of kit. I run a rx7 top mount with custom pipe and relocated the air filter under the air filter under the driver side headlamp.

I only need to save up to get an external wastegate :)

No worries mate nothing worse than a lack of boost :( im sure the washers will do fine til you get an external wastegate sorted! lol

Were yu running stock manifold and downpipe before the switch to the power-up kit? Im running pretty much the same spec mate rx7 top-mount, relocated filter, roadrunner manifold & downpipe and 3" exhaust..have you had yours dyno'd yet mate?

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

No worries mate nothing worse than a lack of boost :( im sure the washers will do fine til you get an external wastegate sorted! lol

Were yu running stock manifold and downpipe before the switch to the power-up kit? Im running pretty much the same spec mate rx7 top-mount, relocated filter, roadrunner manifold & downpipe and 3" exhaust..have you had yours dyno'd yet mate?

You got that right! So far them washers are doing perfect :)

Yes mate, I was running a WEPR downpipe and a 2.5 system with the standard mani. Then got the Power up kit. So the old DP had to go because the turbo shifts a bit. I feel the response is very direct and immediate :)

No I have not had mine dyno'd mate. Rather expensive affair over here ;) I'd rather push those funds to get the EWG, hehe ;)

Edited by Fez