Well I thought it was about time I made a build thread after being around for so long lol.

I'll start at the top!

I first got into starlets back in 2010, my mrs brought a glanza which had the usual mods, exhaust, air filter, manifold etc, but still running standard boost. We only had it for a couple of months and had to sell because we couldn't afford to keep it. Once it went this sparked a fire inside and I wanted to try the GT, as I secretly loved the older shape.

I spent a couple of months looking for what I wanted and in the end I got impatient, I ended up buying a 93 GT from a member off here in October 2011. It was covered in stickers, the Tom's bodykit was poorly finished, but this was just cosmetic, took her out for a drive and she boosted well and I just couldn't say no.

After spending around 4 hours cleaning her, getting all the stickers off, she finally ended up looking like this: (Excuse the poor pics it was quite dark at the time)

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

The spec of the car at this stage was:

Engine :

Stock 1.3 4EFTE

Unknown brand exhaust system

Decat

Relocated air filter behind headlight

HKS Air filter

Cusco style catch can

JD Tuning Engine damper

Fuel System :

Stock fuel pump

Stock injectors

Stock FPR

Ignition System :

Stock distributor setup

Magnecore HT leads

NGK Spark plugs

Cooling System :

Tuning Developments half size civic rad

Slimline fan

Jperformance intercooler kit

Drivetrain :

Stock C52 Gearbox

Stock clutch

Turbocharger setup :

ToyTuning Hybrid Ct9 turbo

Jperformance manifold

Decat

HKS SSQV version 1

Chassis :

Enkei 15" Racing alloys

195/50/15 Uniroyal rainsport tyres

Lowered on unknown brand of springs

Brakes :

Stock calipers

EBC discs

EBC Yellowstuff pads

Electronics :

Autogauge Boost gauge

I knew exactly where I wanted to go with this car straight from the outset, so a month later in November I brought a 5E engine from Affy on TGTT.

5EFE_zps443f4de4.jpg

Then when xmas came around my Mrs brought me this

IMG_0466.jpg

And fitted

IMG_0467.jpg

Just after xmas I got speaking to Tim from TB Developments, who I had known for quite some time previously. I spoke to him about where I wanted to go with the car and I gave him some part numbers for some forged engine components. A week later Tim got back to me with a fantastic price for the whole lot. I then ordered the following from him:

Wiseco Forged 74.5mm Pistons

Pauter Forged Con rods

Anthena 1.2mm headgasket

ARP 4AGE headstud kit

Whilst waiting for these parts to turn up I managed to get hold of some Meister R coilovers through a group buy, these turned up not long after payment!

Not long after this I had the dreaded 4EFTE engine failure, the ringlands had gone on the pistons :( I had just had the car in for MOT the same day, gave the car a wash then later on during the day after a drive it suddenly lost power and felt sluggish. I managed to limp the car back home to Oxford 40 miles away, done a compression test straight away and revealed that cylinder 2 and zero pressure :(

Unfortunatley this is how the car has been sat ever since in February 2012. Since then I've just been gathering a ton of parts to complete the build I wanted to the spec I wanted. I said to myself that the car wouldn't go back on the road till I see it fit to and I am happy with the state it is. After washing the car this time I found out how poor the paint job was on the Tom's kit, it had been done with a rattle can as it was more of a matte finish rather than metallic, so that will be getting sprayed at some point, but more interested in getting the car back on the road first of all.

Also seeing that Lew777 had some Recaro seats with rails for sale, they were for sale for sometime, and whilst I gathered some cash after spending some notes on forged goodies and coilovers I snapped them up. Needless to say they went straight in the car.

2012-06-12165112.jpg

2012-06-12165119.jpg

2012-06-12165058.jpg

I also had an eye for some carbon fibre, a lad on here was selling some Cusco carbon strut braces and I couldn't resist the temptation! It also started my Cusco frenzy lol.

Before :

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

After :

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

After ordering my forged engine components from Tim, they then arrived with me after a very quick delivery, I was pleased and motivated to get the car back on the road again after seeing some shiney bits :)

2012-08-30153008.jpg

2012-08-30154851.jpg

2012-08-30155554.jpg

My goal with this setup was to have a responsive, fast road car which I could take to the drag or circuit and still be competitive, so I opted to run a fairly high compression ratio, the anthena might not be used yet as I may go for the TRD 0.6mm, but I am planning on running some cams so I will have to check if I have enough valve-piston clearence which may force me into running the 1.2mm.

I was now starting to save up some cash to order a turbo kit, well I chose to go for the Garrett GTX28 series turbo as it had great spool and was able to push around what I thought would be a healthy fast road/drag spec at 400bhp. I got in contact with Zisco and I had Keith make me up a custom ram horn style manifold, but with a slight twist. I wanted to run the Tial stainless steel V-band turbine housing which would make this setup completely gasketless. Keith said it wasn't a problem as they use the same housing on their own GT. Whilst I had the manifold, downpipe and screamer ordered I thought I may as well get a few more bits I wanted from the guys at Zisco. So a long with the turbo setup I ordered :

Valve springs

Shimless buckets

Valve stem seals

High flow fuel rail and braided hose

After having some money issues which Keith was very patient about, I paid for all the items and a few days later they arrived.

2012-10-05133457_zps3dee9266.jpg

2012-10-05133448_zps1fff66d2.jpg

2012-10-05133517_zps7f2ce2b8.jpg

2012-10-05133525_zps59eeab23.jpg

2012-10-05133541_zps1408a6a7.jpg

2012-10-05133223_zps0af0988b.jpg

2012-10-05133252_zpscce9a1ce.jpg

2012-10-05133645_zps07f03efb.jpg

2012-10-05132446_zps645a38dc.jpg

2012-10-05132512_zps10d5dfc3.jpg

2012-10-05133004_zps50d3cc72.jpg

2012-10-05133058_zps86f3d408.jpg

2012-10-05133120_zps2f5d3120.jpg

2012-10-05132702_zpsb6d44dab.jpg

2012-10-05132656_zps15eb2a55.jpg

2012-10-05132646_zpsd2928671.jpg

2012-10-05133915_zpsd0bb12b0.jpg

2012-10-05133926_zps54f89b9e.jpg

2012-10-05133858_zpsf5c8537e.jpg

I have also took part in the thermostat group buy Tuning Developments were running, at the same time as this they also had available a very rare Cusco adjustable Panhard/Lateral rod, This one had rose joints at both ends which I believe is now discontinued to buy from anywhere. This carries on my trend of Cusco goodies :p Unfortunatley I have no pics of these yet.

Since buying the turbo kit to suit a Garrett GT28 turbo, I've been doing a lot of research into other turbochargers on the market. I have now changed my mind about running the GT28 so the kit is up for sale. I'm going for something which in theory will spool faster than the GT28 yet still provide enough flow for 400+bhp, I don't believe anyone has ever ran this kit before, and only one person who knows what kit I'm talking about, and thats the person who is going to be making it all happen :p

Over the next few months I'm looking to purchase the following :

New turbo kit

Race Tech race spec intake

Race Tech exhaust system

Cusco MZ 1.5 way diff

Well thanks for looking and I hope to update this as I get new components to finish the build off :)

Adam

Edited by AdamB
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jamie :)

Kinda have a plan to get all the expensive parts out the way first, then I can just go on a spree of buying all the cheap little niggly bits lol.

Yea mate best way to do it , she going to done for show season ?

what turbo you thinking of going for now ?

looks smashing mate, is that a TOM's front bumper an skirts?

lookin forwward to seeing where your going with this..pity all these super GTs are in England would love to see one in the flesh lol

Yes mate is a Tom's kit, not sure if its genuine or not, I don't know if Tom's marked their parts. The front bumper has no markings though, I suspect its a replica as the fit is ok, but stil quite messy for my liking. Not sure about the skirts or spats though as I haven't had them off.

There's plenty of monster EP's over the water mate lol.

Yea mate best way to do it , she going to done for show season ?

what turbo you thinking of going for now ?

I'm hoping she will be done by the end of summer, so may be able to pop a long to a few towards the end of the season, but we'll see. I may end up deciding to keep her off the road a little longer till shes 100% even the body work.

Turbo is a bit secret atm, I'm not even sure if its going to fit yet as its a little larger than the Garretts, but will reveal shortly when I get the kit :)

Look well tidy mate looking forward to seeing this new turbo kit

Me too mate! I'm just hoping it fits in the bay or I'll be sad :(

Sweet build Adam looking forward to seeing this at shows hopefully this year.

John

Thanks John, hopefully I'll be able to come a long to a few shows towards the end of the season :)

Great build adam ! Cant wait to see it finished, shame you changed your mind with the turbo bit of a time waster but im sure it will be worth it

Ps love how theirs bits of what looks like white packaging over the carpet could just imagine you like a kid at xmas

Keep us posted !

TOMs had stickers fibreglassed into the rear of most their parts. Sweet build. Need more car shots.

Ah cheers for that Marc, I was a bit suspicious as the fit was pretty messy and doesn't line up very well. Bit ashamed of the car at the moment tbh, its a right state, but that will be changing as soon as its back on the road :)

Awsome build, looking forward too seeing your turbo of choice !

Thanks mate, so tempting to tell, but I don't wanna make a fool of myself if it doesn't end up fitting :(

Great build adam ! Cant wait to see it finished, shame you changed your mind with the turbo bit of a time waster but im sure it will be worth it Ps love how theirs bits of what looks like white packaging over the carpet could just imagine you like a kid at xmas Keep us posted !

Ta lad, is a shame but I just fancy something different and save me money in the long run, after doing a bit of research I had actually seen how poorly Garrett turbos are manufactured and that the design has pretty much the same for a long long time.

That was newspaper mate, I ripped that shit open! :p Think I'll jizz over the box the turbo comes in before it even comes out!

your not going for a precision turbo are you :p

No comment :p

Nice to finally see a bulid thread mate

Seats look imense

They sure do Lew, just need some harnesses now, but will prob get that sorted when I know what cage/harness bar I can get hold of :)

is that the yaris lifters your using?

Yes mate they are the Yaris ones, got them from Zisco, was told they were the largest size and to just skim them to get the correct valve clearence :)

Realy nice GT Adam love it!

Thanks for the kind words mate.

Nice build, about time you showed your car off. They look like the yaris tappets. I've got a spare set of them as I'm using custom solid buckets that are a bit chunkyer compaired to them

Is about time mate! I'll have to pop down when shes built, you and Shorty will have yours done before this lol. I used to live in Basingstoke but moved up here for uni, so will have to come back a little more often :)

Where did you get your solid buckets? Any advantage to them being chunkier?

The buckets I got off eBay but they were made by coltec. Not really much advantage as the ones you got are lighter. Mine use under bucket shims so any cam can be shimed up easy. Would be funny if your mrs old v was white and you went to some rugby thing and parked in a field

The buckets I got off eBay but they were made by coltec. Not really much advantage as the ones you got are lighter. Mine use under bucket shims so any cam can be shimed up easy. Would be funny if your mrs old v was white and you went to some rugby thing and parked in a field

Ah thats cool mate cheers. Thats the only thing with the yarris buckets is they can only be within a certain valve clearence even when turned down. Suppose it could be possible to machine the valve spring seat but thats hassle and im sure thats what has to be done with the cruise cams.

The glanza was black mate :)

What springs are you going to be running?

They are zisco springs buddy. Although they have no specs with them so its just going to be a fit and hope they work alright. I know Spuddy is running them and has said you can run valve lift upto around 13mm which is more than anyones going to need.