Browner's GT Turbo with a twist... Rear wheel drive turbo starlet! <3 MAJOR UPDATES FOR JAPFEST UK! :)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm away at a rally until Tuesday Shorty so can post up pics then. I adjusted them all the way down as low as they can go but I think there may be an issue with the Panhard rod as the wheels are not sitting right now. I didn't have time too look at it properly last Thursday before I eft for the rally.

The Panhard rod in the car was never cut. I think it needs to be adjusted. Will a Glanza / GT one fit? The front go low, low but still not sure about the back

Yeah Ay help would be great lads. I am going up to the garage shortly to attack it I just need as much info as possible to speed the process up as I am very hurt on time now and have loads to do with the car.

Regards,

Conor.

A GT adjustable one needs about 70 mil cut out to fit a 4paw and still be adjustable. I think this is what Shorty done on his.

Or get a section cut out of the existing panhard rod and a threaded bar welded in to make it adjustable.

Right this is wrecking my head now at this stage lol

I've had Panhard rods on and off now all afternoon and trying to guess measurements. The most suitable one I have with the most adjustment on it adjusts a lot further than any others I have here. There is over 100mm adjustment on it maybe a bits more.

I dropped off the original panhard rod and the adjustable one my welder just now. He is going to cut 70 mm off the standard ep85 panhard rod and extend the adjustable one out to its full length on the threads (leaving about an inch inside). He will then cut the adjustable one to match the shortened ep85 Panhard rod and I will still have over 100mm more to come in on the adjustment end if this makes sense???

Had a go at the seat rail and it's completely different so think that will just be staying as it is but I need to sort this Panhard rod out right away

Yea the pan hard is still 70 odd mm to big on all gt/v ones custom is the only route dude. And rails you are best of with ep85 specific ones as agin is what i did. Just order them from japan as is the only way really.

Yeah I got an ep85 specific drivers rail but I still need a passenger side.

Did you cut 70mm off the standard one or off the adjustable Panhard rod shorty?

See I'm reading that you need to remove 70-95mm from the Panhard rod but is that from the standard ep85 Panhard rod or the Glanza / GT adjustable one? Because the Glanza / GT one is a lot longer (70mm plus). I took 70mm off the standard ep85 Panhard rod and then cut my adjustable one down to the same size but now I am wondering is this too short?

Those measurements were wrong lads but I got it in the end.

This is how the car sits with the coilovers adjusted to their lowest point. They might settle down a tad more but the only way of getting it any lower now would be to remove one of the locking rings are use a shorter spring. The front coilovers still need to be dropped more but they are set quite high at the minute so I can get the car onto the boat. I will adjust them down on arrival in the UK.

image_zps43881c0b.jpg

I cut too much off it at the beginning. Had a root around the shed and found another adjustable Panhard rod with rose jointed ends but I couldn't find the tapered inserts to fit it so I had to cut and extend the other one again...

I'm going to make up another one when I'm home from Japfest UK but it will do for now.

image_zps41c03bf5.jpg

Got a bit more done but for everything I got done I seemed to run into more hassle with stuff not fitting... :/

Fitted the new alloy power steering reservoir and replaced the OEM clips with proper jubilee clips as the standard clips weren't gripping the hoses tight enough...

image_zps0a3f663a.jpg

I bought brand new blue Samco hosing and ran it from the alloy half rad to the expansion bottle. I used a few black plastic OEM clips off other Starlets to pin it neatly to the front panel...

image_zps5fea03ec.jpg

In went a new Cusco oil catch can and I made up some braided lines to suit it...

image_zpsc6087a32.jpg

image_zpsff7777a0.jpg

So that's what went right today... Here's what went wrong lol

After making up new Intercooler piping so the rad would sit down level with the front panel, the bottom rad hose is now touching the side exit exhaust which will definitely melt it. I have absolutely no room for adjustment anywhere. I fitted small rubbers to the feet of the rad to bring it up slightly but it wasn't enough.

image_zps720c9293.jpg

I heat wrapped the bottom section of the exhaust and wrapped the end of the bottom rad hose in heat reflective tape but it was still burning into it...

image_zps888ed03b.jpg

So out came the rad and off I went to an aluminum welder...

image_zps22f42328.jpg

He cut the bottom outlet pipe on the rad and re-welded it at a steeper angle. I brought the rad back and the rad modification had worked a treat. The bottom rad hose was no longer touching the exhaust. One job done. Finally!

Next is to make up a bracket to hold up the HKS SSQV dumpvalve so it can be seen through my grill :) it's temporarily held with a cable tie at the moment

image_zps8228ac8a.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...