Sefton-EP91’s 98 Spec Forged Glanza

So,

I got the car back together again although she was running I noticed another pronounced tap which was really annoying me, so I stripped it down again to have the clearances re-checked and to my surprise, ALL of the intake valve clearances were too tight again. So I checked what shims I needed again and got them ordered. This time I’ve left the cambelt on, using a special tool from work I was able to push down the cam follower and pop the shim out! 

Thankfully a couple could be swapped about so only need 5 in total! Also a massive thanks to Shaun finnigan for the link to the shims, saved me so much money and time! A lot of the shims are on back order through work (Toyota) so thankfully the ones Shaun linked me to are the ones I need and are available. 

Fingers crossed this cures my tapping! :thumbsup:

Edited by Sefton-EP91
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Sefton-EP91 said:

So,

I got the car back together again although she was running I noticed another pronounced tap which was really annoying me, so I stripped it down again to have the clearances re-checked and to my surprise, ALL of the intake valve clearances were too tight again. So I checked what shims I needed again and got them ordered. This time I’ve left the cambelt on, using a special tool from work I was able to push down the cam follower and pop the shim out! 

Thankfully a couple could be swapped about so only need 5 in total! Also a massive thanks to Shaun finnigan for the link to the shims, saved me so much money and time! A lot of the shims are on back order through work (Toyota) so thankfully the ones Shaun linked me to are the ones I need and are available. 

Fingers crossed this cures my tapping! :thumbsup:

What the link for the shims :p as I going to need some 

Shims are fitted and the tapping is gone :D to say I’m happy would be an understatement, it’s been a struggle this time round with this build but I can finally see the light! 

The car was suppose to go for a new 3” custom decat back exhaust on the 7th jan but due to all the issues I’ve been having I had to delay it. It’s now ready for the exhaust but unfortunately speedfab is fully booked until March now, I’ve booked it in for the 1st March but that does mean the mapping will be delayed until the end of March. 

On the plus side she is running a treat and ready for a slow drive tomorrow to ensure everything is ok! :thumbsup:

Edited by Sefton-EP91
22 minutes ago, jellybaby said:

Whoop glad all sorted feller it nice to see ya sticking at it us older vets still want to keep them going and push 

You know it! I haven’t put a lot of my hard earned money into this for someone else to enjoy! :lol: 

I’m just doing my upmost best to keep her going and enjoyable! 

6 hours ago, jellybaby said:

We’ll if I ever get mine sorted maybe sort a road trip out to the ring or something I no neversimple would tag along if we go via Holland 

I’d be up for a road trip mate, I’ve been wanting to sort a ring trip in the future. I’ll post something up once it’s arrnaged and maybe a few other will be up for it aswell! 

Gave her a little wipe over to get the dust off! God I miss this thing!

On another note, the Clifford alarm I had on the car decided to pack up so I’ve got her booked in for a new Sterling CAT1 alarm and immobiliser on the 14th Feb. So that should keep her protected! 

Small photo of how she sits. 

575F815B-2824-407B-AA0E-82D82A9AA685.thumb.jpeg.dff2b14ae85a32e8a2fb60db55f73672.jpeg

New TD fuel rail and TD 430cc injectors fitted, I sent the ME221 Standalone back to ME to have a base map loaded and received that back, so I set at fitting that today. U unfortunately no photos of that! Although here’s the rail and injectors fitted! 

D416B731-656C-4988-8724-A7EEF4C1E45F.thumb.jpeg.8e6b158b12a640e6553e24a86bb0b666.jpeg