Sefton-EP91’s 98 Spec Forged Glanza

So I dropped the car off at speedfab on Friday for the new exhaust. 

I was going to go for a 3” straight through leading to a a 6” back box and 4” tip but it has been brought to my attention that this will be very loud, so with that in mind I’ve decided to go for a small centre silencer aswell. I don’t want the car to be a magnet for police so I feel I’ve made the right decision. 

More updates when I collect ... 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Gainzy said:

I'm surprised you have changed so much I think you had it spot on before these change's

I know and I’ve read so many comments that you have written, quoting my name saying it was perfect.

The problem is. As much as it was a good setup, it gets boring. I wanted to do something abit more “mental” this time around plus this has given me something to do through the winter. 

13 minutes ago, BMX-RIG said:

Interested to see how the exhaust turns out! Keep it up :thumbsup:

I’ll post some photos up once it’s complete, should be collecting it tomorrow evening, thanks mate!

On 3/5/2019 at 10:13 PM, RobSR said:

Look forward to seeing it :)

If I’m completely honest I was hoping for abit more angle but maybe that’s just me being picky & I know once I’m boosting about I’ll forget all about it :lol: photo will be Saturday unfortunately as that’s the only opportunity I’m going to get! 

this looks lovely now! are the wheels ultralites?

also i see youve got the me221 ecu? can i ask where youre going to get this mapped? as i also have the same ecu and am unsure where to take mine to get setup!

7 hours ago, snails ep91 said:

this looks lovely now! are the wheels ultralites?

also i see youve got the me221 ecu? can i ask where youre going to get this mapped? as i also have the same ecu and am unsure where to take mine to get setup!

Hi mate, yes they are ultralite f1 wheels thank you for the the kind words. 

Yes, I will be using the ME221, I’ll be Going to either M-tech which is the sister company of Motorsport electronics or tuning developments. 

There is a massive list of tuners now that support the ME ECUs. 

M-Tech 

RDT

Tuning Developments 

thats just to name a few. Have a look on the motorsport electronics website and you can find the list of tuners that support the platform.

Hope this helps.

Have you got yours installed and running?

Again thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it very much.

Just a small update, heres a small teaser of the exhaust!

70020C9E-BDAC-4753-BC39-7F11A5F3BEEA.thumb.jpeg.c25841cee00f8e2213689f6c265202aa.jpeg

I apologise for the dirt, the one day I actually have to drive my car and it’s raining! <_<

So because of the rain I decided to give her another once over. 

F03C3F03-9167-4213-ADB7-DF5E695B476F.thumb.jpeg.14a869681b27b95b5f0df08af9d66c81.jpeg1FA0257F-9118-4B44-9C53-EF644E606C4E.thumb.jpeg.09bdac684f94e8e4a9fad9a75060cf07.jpeg98617CB6-78E0-45C6-AD6D-6AD19DAC24BB.thumb.jpeg.f5bf4c9515d3da8c0d9f647fd924f960.jpeg

She’s shining now :thumbsup:

Edited by Sefton-EP91

So today I managed to start the process rolling with the mapping. I’ve got it booked now for the 28th March @ M-Tech Automotive, which is a sister company of ME (motorsport electronics). 

I’m extremely excited this time round. 

So at the same time she will be having the new fuel rail fitted along with my 430cc injectors, the launch control will be wired into the handbrake switch and various other bits which are in the pipeline so watch this space! 

I also finished off the polishing today, tomorrow I’ll get the hammerite out and start with the underside of the car, which will be going white on the body and black on the fuel tanks, rear axle etc so it will be fresh! Plus I’ll get the new AD08R’s fitted 8)

B7F468EF-4D6F-44D6-B2DF-E39A5FB73162.thumb.jpeg.c632e9668bbbe196abe44351f56f8551.jpeg

2AFC330A-C37C-4823-9FD5-6ECDB1668518.thumb.jpeg.6b145e49394296682b119a8130ec9736.jpeg

847FF87B-1C72-44CE-AF90-876160E7700E.thumb.jpeg.b4be1ad6137631571a72d7ad4e7fe774.jpeg

On 3/7/2019 at 10:43 PM, Sefton-EP91 said:

Hi mate, yes they are ultralite f1 wheels thank you for the the kind words. 

Yes, I will be using the ME221, I’ll be Going to either M-tech which is the sister company of Motorsport electronics or tuning developments. 

There is a massive list of tuners now that support the ME ECUs. 

M-Tech 

RDT

Tuning Developments 

thats just to name a few. Have a look on the motorsport electronics website and you can find the list of tuners that support the platform.

Hope this helps.

Have you got yours installed and running?

Again thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it very much.

I thought so. although these are copies they come in some pretty good specs for the starlet and are dirt cheap. what size and offset are yours if you dont mind me asking? as i have considered the 7.5" et35 ones before.

Amazing thankyou. i thought about going direct to motorpsort electronics and have had a few conversations with them too before when i purchased the ecu. Yes i have the car running and idling but it is off the road so still a bit to do. still got to run the engine in etc. Would love to see your feedback on here about how you get on with mapping as well as i think ill go to them as they will know their own ecu i was just hoping to take it to someone with experience with starlets as well but i guess their knowledge on their ecu is just as good a compromise!

I have a 96 front end but glanza s bonnet and reflet rear lights and mines white so some similarities there. Need to get the front end painted but if mine looks as good as yours when its done ill be very happy!

Edited by snails ep91
5 hours ago, snails ep91 said:

I thought so. although these are copies they come in some pretty good specs for the starlet and are dirt cheap. what size and offset are yours if you dont mind me asking? as i have considered the 7.5" et35 ones before.

Amazing thankyou. i thought about going direct to motorpsort electronics and have had a few conversations with them too before when i purchased the ecu. Yes i have the car running and idling but it is off the road so still a bit to do. still got to run the engine in etc. Would love to see your feedback on here about how you get on with mapping as well as i think ill go to them as they will know their own ecu i was just hoping to take it to someone with experience with starlets as well but i guess their knowledge on their ecu is just as good a compromise!

I have a 96 front end but glanza s bonnet and reflet rear lights and mines white so some similarities there. Need to get the front end painted but if mine looks as good as yours when its done ill be very happy!

Mine are in fact 15” 7J ET35, although I do run 20mm spacers all round so I get that “stanced” look. My plan when I get the chance is to bring the camber in for a fast road/track setup so I have the added bonus of good handling once all the engine work is complete. 

Well the mapping is booked and is due to happen on the 28th March @ Mtech-automotive so I’ll voice my opinion once Im done, Like i said I’m having a few extras aswell so keep your eyes on this space. 

Did you have to do the distributor mod? I had trouble getting mine to start? 

Awesome, yeh mine has taken a while to get her where I want it but it’s slowly coming to and end. A couple of bits could do with a bit of paint but they don’t really bother me so for now they can wait until next winter! 

Thanks again for your comments I appreciate everyone’s input. 

On 3/9/2019 at 7:43 PM, Sefton-EP91 said:

Mine are in fact 15” 7J ET35, although I do run 20mm spacers all round so I get that “stanced” look. My plan when I get the chance is to bring the camber in for a fast road/track setup so I have the added bonus of good handling once all the engine work is complete. 

Well the mapping is booked and is due to happen on the 28th March @ Mtech-automotive so I’ll voice my opinion once Im done, Like i said I’m having a few extras aswell so keep your eyes on this space. 

Did you have to do the distributor mod? I had trouble getting mine to start? 

Awesome, yeh mine has taken a while to get her where I want it but it’s slowly coming to and end. A couple of bits could do with a bit of paint but they don’t really bother me so for now they can wait until next winter! 

Thanks again for your comments I appreciate everyone’s input. 

fair play they look great anyway. ive got a set of work RSB's with an et30 offset to go on so im hopeing they look alright. similair design to the ultralites so.

And what distributor mod? i had trouble gettin the software onto the computer and understanding how to use it but i got it in and started ok. it runs but im a real novice in terms of understanding the ecu and how to work the software i must admit. 

i will eagerly await the features on yours!

Made a start on the cleaning and hammerite underneath! Anyone planning on doing this, take my advice! Don’t do it! It’s an extremely messy job and requires lots of prep, if I’m honest I wish I never started! 

As you will see from the photos, the whole under side (body) will go smooth white, the rear axle, fuel tank, wishbones and all the other bits will go Satin black. 

8981B8D2-9A4C-46C7-AE38-1E3B9BB98B71.thumb.jpeg.e9c91928c53cdaed22f3c802af111cb7.jpegA9F89E66-7E96-457F-8F34-09C3A4A1ED75.thumb.jpeg.92615bfd2b99e57cf66f7f8995b58f5e.jpegB992A05C-8193-496B-BE1F-6F94BDE2CE45.thumb.jpeg.8ab8c2ff210f224c1eecc4f451a0a616.jpeg

I plan to get the car up on the ramp to do all the final bits to make it easier and I also plan on dropping the suspension after mapping to get round the back of the coilovers and also over the top of the exhaust. 

So at the moment this is the best photo I have of the exhaust, I’m still in the process of doing the hammerite underneath the car but this is where is have left it until Saturday morning. It’s has a few coats now, I’ve even started on the black bits and I must say when it dries it looks far better than it did, as said before, it’s pretty clean underneath but in the long run this will only protect it more :thumbsup:

577FC515-69A9-4E94-B4DB-A31410828E50.thumb.jpeg.06bcfb78eac9d492e9ba5de58fdaeb2f.jpeg

So today I planned on getting the car finished underneath but if I’m honest it didn’t really do to plan, painting underneath was turning out to be a much bigger task than originally anticipated so I decided to ditch that idea and just under seal it, i left the arches white as I quite like them as it looks much cleaner.

I also managed to get some photos of the exhaust. 

I also got my AD08R’s fitted so all in all a pretty productive day although not exactly how I planned. 

ED2B99D0-A807-4DDD-94D8-D3088B8B5E87.thumb.jpeg.89dc86fa9af424332d55dc5e8dbc5502.jpeg

BCB2F615-C8E1-413F-BC03-B6AC36D18B1C.thumb.jpeg.f857b7b3c0f39f6f844c9b0fadb4cc8d.jpeg

45326807-AE10-4548-8945-006DAF3E1F22.thumb.jpeg.9ed22efe54112c2bfe881dfd5d1c06c8.jpeg

BB162557-9989-4FA6-A0B6-9F39104D4460.thumb.jpeg.8d0b9b48c03fa4e4399a6719a1e61749.jpeg

BBDBBB74-4173-4350-B08B-3B5DEB532067.thumb.jpeg.cfc932a5627df634edc63cddd882a916.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Big update.. as mentioned in my previous post the car was booked in for mapping on the 28th March. Before the mapping I decided that the screamer pipe had to go, so literally on the day before mapping, thanks to rob fisher for the recommendation, I got the car over to alpha performance fabrication to have the screamer plumbed back into the exhaust, the work carried out is absolutely perfect. Again thanks to rob fisher for putting me forward to those guys! :thumbsup:

897ED942-5A19-41B4-AD97-C39A4361F236.thumb.jpeg.e045e209ca8f6d22a68d29afa6a33133.jpeg

So on the 28th I set off bright and early for mapping, car drive faultlessly all the way to M-TECH Automotive. 

542D44ED-0718-483F-A5A1-6F0901CA9CEC.thumb.jpeg.77e90d7f99ed2df76a18be108794c09c.jpeg

Car was then driven into the workshop for some extra work to be carried out, son after the technician working on the car called me over and told me the oil pressure light was on, I had a look at truth behold it was, after raising the car on the ramp it soon became clear that I had a MAJOR oil leak, it was very hard to determine where it was coming from as it was soaked, we drained what oil was left in the sump and we only managed to get around 200ml from it which unfortunately unveiled a nasty surprise, metallic oil! To cut a long story short, I got the car recovered home, I’ve found the oil leak which is down to the remote oil feed line for my oil pressure sender unit for my gauge and also the oil pressure switch. I’ve also stripped the sump off and taken the the main caps off and the big end caps, the main bearings are perfect but unfortunately I can’t say the same for the big end shells. 

C10037A3-23C7-44D8-AE19-CA226FD7D07E.thumb.jpeg.191694c4d63c72d9a6b24d01526fd774.jpeg

luckily the crankshaft is unmarked, so I’m a very lucky man. I’ve got the following ready to go back together.

ACL big end bearings (Thanks to rob fisher again). 

ARP Main cap bolts.

ARP Con rod bolts.

Racing lines remote oil line.

while it’s apart I’ve cleaned out the oil strainer and also stripped and cleaned the oil pressure relief valve.

0D344B8C-CAF3-4CAF-8BA2-1186D55BA171.thumb.jpeg.4277528bf63f44d6e59ccedfa7cfcdf8.jpeg

I’ve also given the sump a good clean and painted it on the outside to clean it up abit, I’ve also got new genuine sump bolts for it from work so everything is as it should be just because a few were odd, I plan on flushing all the oil lines out before it goes back together and running a thin oil through it to flush the engine out aswell. 

Hopefully should have everything built back up and running by the end of the weekend, then the mapping will be rebooked and hopefully this time I’ll get on the dyno! :thumbsup:

Damn that sucks. Maybe worth getting a new oil pressure relief valve whilst its stripped. People tend to overlook these on a built motor considering they are over 20 years old and play a vital role in keeping your engine healthy 

As said was very sorry to hear this mate after the last min efforts that went in to get it ready for the dyno! 

Glad you caught it before anything else too serious got damaged.

You can space the oil relief valve slightly too when you put it back in. 

15 hours ago, Socks said:

Argh shit! That is shit news dude!
The car is soooo clean! Keep going dont give up dude!

15 hours ago, H_D said:

Damn that sucks. Maybe worth getting a new oil pressure relief valve whilst its stripped. People tend to overlook these on a built motor considering they are over 20 years old and play a vital role in keeping your engine healthy 

11 hours ago, jellybaby said:

I would replace the valve as well if u can get hold of them

still also where it located ? As I just fort

mine never been changed lol 

Shit news I know guys but nothing that can’t be sorted, will be going back together tomorrow hopefully so I’ll update again once it’s back together, the pressure relief valve works perfectly, I’ve stripped it all down completely and cleaned it all out and ensured it works.

18 hours ago, jellybaby said:

I would replace the valve as well if u can get hold of them

still also where it located ? As I just fort

mine never been changed lol 

Iirc £48 new from toyota. You need to remove the sump to access it

I took the circlip out of mine, stripped it, cleaned it all and made sure it was free moving, it’s just a a spring loaded plunger that opens when the pressure exceeds a specified amount! For £48 I think I’ll stick with the one I have! :thumbsup: