Starlet Sportif to Toyota Paseo Clock conversion

Update: 27/11/07 All problems now resolved, Paseo clocks now in and working. Check out the detailed How 2 with pictures here

I have done this conversion and (nearly) everything is working perfectly.

The only thing I don't know is which wire I need to tap into to get the tacho working (the main reason I bought the clocks).

Has anyone done this or has a wiring diagram that can tell me where I need to look.

Thanks

Chris

you can use a slot in the diagnostics box ( not sure which one) or you can tap into the green wire on the bottom wiring block on the distributor.

i hope your doing a how to on this? as i know many n/a guys would be very interested in it!

you can use a slot in the diagnostics box ( not sure which one) or you can tap into the green wire on the bottom wiring block on the distributor.

i hope your doing a how to on this? as i know many n/a guys would be very interested in it!

Yeah, thanks for the tip mate, will definitely do a how to, the clocks look 'kin excellent :) Just a shame I'm still looking at a stationary rev counter ;)

You don't know if there's anywhere in the loom behind the clocks I can tap into to save going into the engine bay do you?

Gonna do a couple of other little tweaks to the car and then leave it. Read a few threads on here about a corolla manifold that sounds good and probably a k&n filter. I have a few motorbikes so I know how much difference a few nice little mods can make.

there is actually a sr clock conversion chart somewhere, and that shows the sender wire in the loom behind the clocks, do a search for it bud.

yes a filter and corolla intake manifold will make a nice difference, i was mighty impressed when i did my old n/a, but i prefer the standard airbox with a uprated panel filter.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to keep re-asking the same question but really hoping there's a wire in the loom behind the clocks for the tacho sender. If anyone out there has an SR (they have a rev counter right?) that is local to Manchester and will let me have a look at theirs (I've had my clocks in and out so many times now, I'm a pro at it :lol: ) I'd be forever in your debt. I could have your clocks out and back in mega quick. I know it's a lot to ask but I'm sick of staring at beautiful white Paseo dials with a motionless rev needle :lol:

Once it's all sorted I'm gonna do a really detailed how to for anyone else that fancies a go. I'll even help people do theirs if they want to come round to mine or if they're local.

Cheers

Chris

going to steel this Fred for a min soz!

I just want to spared the word on how at save ££

bud just seen this on you sig

" new head unit with ipod input (current Sony cassette is a bit dated)"

I am taking from Experianâ??s the ipod reedy hear units are good but you will be paying a bit more that you relay need to, unless you want one of them units that can control the ipod as well?

if I was you I wood just get a good unit that donâ??t have all this "ipod reedy" malarkey as you can get a much better unit for the same prices something like a DVD ect! just check that it has am AXU impute in the back then all you need is a 3.5mm stereo jack to RCA phono connection you can get them for nowt, then just plug and play

ebay!

ok steel over

Yeah there is wiring for the tach, there must be because ive put SR clocks in my sportif. Its a case of swaping some wires. PM me your email address and i can send you the wiring diagram, think ive got a few pics at home too which i could send over. Was only a few weeks back i did mine so its still fresh in my head.

Yeah there is wiring for the tach, there must be because ive put SR clocks in my sportif. Its a case of swaping some wires. PM me your email address and i can send you the wiring diagram, think ive got a few pics at home too which i could send over. Was only a few weeks back i did mine so its still fresh in my head.

if i was to do this to my SR wood it be as hard or wood it all just plug in play???

I've done a colour-coded swap guide that details all the pin swaps from sportif to paseo, I'll jpeg it and attach it as a picture on here as soon as I have the tacho sorted, don't believe in doing half a job mate :lol:

No mate, the circuit board on the paseo clocks is completely different. Couldn't try out the black wire in the dark last night, will pull out the clocks tonight and see if that black wire is for the tacho, it's the only one I have left. The file you sent me shows that the black wire goes to nothing when it's in the sportif and also nothing in the SR? It can only be that one if you say all the wires are there?

Im beyond confused now. Just put all the wires where they say they should be on the diagram then see if that works. If i remember correctly you should end up with a green wire that plugs into nothing. Try and get some pics or summert tonight might make it all a little easier.

If that black wire method or daves final suggestion doesnt work I have two backup plans for you Chris.

My info from my tacho instructions or can put you through to an online mate who is auto electrician.

Catch you on msn, not sure when tho as my monitor has blown.

Joz

This info is what will help you Chris ^^ as its similar to what my tacho instructions say.

Joz

Here's something on fitting Paseo clocks into Tercel's, the wiring diagram on the pics matched miracles wiring spreadsheet, so Paseo clocks are the same as SR clocks

When I fitted them to my Solida (Elec windows,central locking CD player), it was a case of plug and play

When I fitted them to my g/f's Sportif (manual windows, Tape deck), I had to move wires around

This is a copy and paste from the spreadsheet (I'll host somewhere or I can e-mail it around if people want) If paste it into excel it should line itself up correctly (*EDIT* it's removed the tabs so it won't play, bugger)

no Description New clock A Old clock A Description Move to no Description New clock B Old Clock B Description Move to

1 Yellow & Black Yellow & Black 1 ABS Red & White Black & Yellow Blank

2 Black & White Black & White 2 Oil Yellow Red & Green ABS

3 Yell & Red Yellow & Red 3 Green & White Green & White

11 Seatbelt Blank Yellow & Green Temp T A10 11 Blank Blank

12 Airbag Black & Yellow Blue & White Airbag A13 12 Yellow & Black Yellow & Black

13 Airbag Blue & White Pink & Black Airbag A12 13 Blank Blank

14 14 Green Green

15 15 White & Green White & Green

16 16 Blank Blank

no Description New Clock C Old clock C Description move to

1 Red & Yellow Red & Yellow

2 Blank White & Black High Beam

3 High Beam Red & White Red & White High Beam

4 Green & Black Green & Black

5 Petrol light Black & Yellow Brown & White Fuel SE C 6

6 Fuel SE Brown & White Blank

7 Blank Blank

8 Violet Violet

9 Blank Blank

10 Green & Yellow Green & Yellow

Also had to dig to page 10 but check out my posts here the pic show which plugs are which, and gives a bit of advice, in another post somewhere I expand upon step 9) If you remove the clear cover and binnacle first (as one piece ignore the clear clips go for the black/white painted black ones) it's a lot easier to remove the clocks

Ive got a pic of the block before any wires have moved

dsc00259gd7.jpg

By the looks of things the SR cluster is quite a bit different to the paseo clocks and the diagram doesnt look like it would work for these clocks. I think its just going to be a case of trial and error getting it working. Had a quick think the red/blue according to the diagram is the rev & oil try this so it lines up to slots 13 if that dont work try 10. Seems that should be the fix? You must have bendy fingers getting the speedo cable out so many times took me ages to get it out and ages to get it back in.