priming methods for a new turbo

Hey, chops here with another problem, im reinstalling a refurbished turbo, but dont want it to oil starve when i first start it, and want to confirm a good method of making sure its ready to start before i do. Ive fished about a bit, and it seemslike the done thing to put some new oil into the turbo itself and wind it round a bit, fit it all up, then crank the engine round for a bit with the starter motor with the ht leads pulled out to stop it firing, trying and fill the feed lines up ready to go. this sound about right? any idea how many cranks would be enough to achieve this?

EFI fuse out

King lead off

Oil return line off the sump and crank till oil comes through, best to get a bucket, and a buddy to help out with this part.

I've done a few turbos this way with no issues :)

i see, cheers! another question, ive found that my hks adjsutable actuator didnt fit beside the original efi pipe, so ive had to add 15mm of metal into the mounting bracket, and trim the adjustable pushrod to suit. ittle be a bugger to adjust once its all back together, does anyone know how many mms of preload would roughly equate to around 11/12 psi on high boost? thnaks again!

i cant use that, ive cut the rod right down so i can fit everything back into my bay. surely the rods length doesnt actually matter, its about the tension in it between the wastegate arm and the actuator itself that decides when the actuator starts to open the wastegate?

i cant use that, ive cut the rod right down so i can fit everything back into my bay. surely the rods length doesnt actually matter, its about the tension in it between the wastegate arm and the actuator itself that decides when the actuator starts to open the wastegate?

No... It's to do with the length of the actuator arm.. read the guide...

If you need a brand new HKS actuator, drop me a PM selling one still boxed for £100 delivered :D

No... It's to do with the length of the actuator arm.. read the guide.

If you need a brand new HKS actuator, drop me a PM selling one still boxed for £100 delivered :D

that arm length chart is only a guide.

the length of the arm is only relevant to give an indication on the amount of pre load on the actuater. Its the actual load that defines the boost. I would start at 3/4 or maybe half of the hole load and work from there. Take it out check boost and adjust til your happy.

Edited by keirz

that arm length chart is only a guide.

the length of the arm is only relevant to give an indication on the amount of pre load on the actuater. Its the actual load that defines the boost. I would start at 3/4 or maybe half of the hole load and work from there. Take it out check boost and adjust til your happy.

i cant get to it once everythings back in, i have to get it roughly right before it goes back together. i need to know how far away from the closed wastegate arm the end of the rod is when set to 11/12ish psi.