bing bang... oil everywhere... dead engine?

Morning Guys,

This Morning on the way to work, I was nearly at the office after taking it easy waiting for her to get up to temp. On the final stretch I decided to give it a little more, but not the bull beans, and there was a big bang, like a misfire. immediately turned the engine off as it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, and rolled the rest of the way to the office.

Got outside work and popped open the bonnet, oil has sprayed all up the back left of the engine bay (around the alternator and brake cylinder) so I got my generic mobile mechanic friend to come and look... as there is now a pool of oil underneath it!

He said the good news is there isn't a conrod or piston hanging out the back, but there is a lot of oil around the rear of the engine on the alternator side, near a sensor?

He had to bugger off as he was booked out, so we are inconclusive!

what could it be? Please help!

cheers

Nathan

dipstick is still in place, im working at the moment so cant get pics!

it instantly ran like shit after it went bang, sounded like something popped out but I walked up the road and didn't see anything? oil has pissed out of somewhere as the firewall, and brake cylinder are covered!

it seems to be more around the area of where the knock sensor on the back of the block is? like under the inlet manifold area...

im just concerned about the amount of oil that poured out when I stopped. surely that amount wouldn't have come out of a failed HG? especially as the engine was off as I rolled down the hill to a stop? half tempted to see what happens when I start it... if its a rod or piston would it turn over still or would it be a mass of metal mess? maybe remove the spark plugs and turn it over?

dont turn it over.. if oil has poured out from somewhere then you have to oil pressure.. you will spin a bearing if you do.. get underneath and try and source where the oil is coming from

agreed.

Phil

Just to pre warn you, this is how the majority of the big builds come about haha, find yourself saying, 'i'll just upgrade this, and may aswell do that too etc.' Before you know it your a couple of K down and still no furter on haha.