The budget Coilovers Setup polo 6n / golf ( rear end update )

so me being a poor man i could never afford the big brand pro coilovers for my starlet so i went on a mission to find budget coild for my starlet so after months off research i came up with a closed match and they were old golf coils *so i put up a thread off it on toc and our moderator DJNR8 came to the resceu
he could provide me all the details i needed so he did he was strait on it emailing me the pictures and measurement *

so first off i want to say thank you djnr8 for being there with mi od requests :) :) :)

this is where i got them pm them tru ebay and request mk2 fronts and mk1 rears ( golf )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-Complete-Rear-Coilover-1x-unit-ONLY-/251385383078?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

so finally my ta technics coilovers arrived this morning there from mk1/2 golf fronts are mk2 and rears mk1

2014-02-28114924_zpsc2ce732d.jpg

so strait away went digging up my old topmounts to try fitting them hoping they fit *:cheers:* yay they do strait bolt on we are in luck boys :)*they do knead small modifications but its only minor that could be done at home !!!!!

here a quick pic with the topmounts on for now till i make some more detailed 1s about the mods needed on the bottom off the coils

2014-02-28114442_zps47b2a3d9.jpg

so taken some measurements *so here we go

these are the bits u need they just unsrcew off the coils

2014-02-28152400_zps010dd4e7.jpg

golf vs starlet mount

2014-02-28152745_zps825c8757.jpg

starlet rear 32mm

2014-02-28152922_zps265ec6c6.jpg

golf mk1 rear 50mm !!!!!!!

2014-02-28153143_zps745dba37.jpg

this is how much will come off off the sides still plenty left :)

2014-02-28153557_zps9d7d7e5c.jpg

its this way we knead to file the hole down a bit

2014-02-28170419_zps1ab320eb.jpg

think i will get my angle grinder out in a min. and trim the rear bushes

well i cut the rear bottoms to size *warning to people using a angle grinder cough cough some really nasty stinking smell comes off it do not inhale like i did i am still coughing brrr

2014-03-01120552_zpsbb36b57f.jpg

this is the spacer u want to cut down 5mm to get more thread uptop

2014-03-01123906_zps1539f984.jpg

in the bench u get an idea now how much

2014-03-01124629_zpscc8c4adf.jpg

2014-03-01125425_zpsd0c79837.jpg

this 1 is for bimotoman *as requester

2014-03-01141826_zps3340b12e.jpg

when u cut the spacers make sure when u finish they are equal length like this

2014-03-01140035_zps860afbb3.jpg

now my 2 rear coilovers are ready to fit this is what they look like

2014-03-01142121_zpsba689721.jpg

will have to play with spring tension and height adjusters

have a small issue :)ha ha

so i made the holes on both for the starlet hub to fit

2014-03-02140651_zpsb3b92421.jpg

here you can see my rooky mistake i should off taken equal out off both holes then this wouldn't of happened
anyways i am not bothered i will just buy 3mm thick washers and make a small cut out in them
problem solved :) :)

2014-03-02140741_zps69f70c6a.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------
measured the front coils for stock camber did a bit of a miss calculation on the previous 1s :(

Photo0161_zps5ba591dd.jpg

i then made a metal template for the holes

Photo0163_zps0b37f7bc.jpg

now using my template i dont need to dos around trying to align the holes and makes the job so much faster + i will have the template for future coils to :) :)

Photo0162_zps21f47717.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

so i finished my fronts today *and made a pic how low they go with the helper spring removed
ONLY 400mm tall *!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! while with the helper still in it its 485mm tal
thats an extra drop off 8.5cm !!!!!!!!!!!

2014-03-04115958_zpsf29c2ca2.jpg

here are how they are now set to softest and with the topmounts on *ready to fit

2014-03-04124547_zpse2f13dee.jpg

so who ever does this in the future go and enjoy them ha ha

Edited by 5e colin
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys

it seems there is the polo option to but they dont have screw off bits on the bottom

a lad added to my thread on page 2 and 3 on tgtt and he done polo so if you want to know more have a peep there :)

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?107505-the-budget-coilover-setup-for-starlet-(-185%A3-)-under-construction

What's the ride like with these ?

first 50 miles was horrendous no movement jesus it was really ruff especially with al the potholes the car was bouncing al over the place but now after 200miles they seem to soften a bit and absorbing the bumps a lot smoother

in the beginning my nose kept on jumping in the air but now that smoothed out i am wel happy with them even tho there cheap !!!!! if 1 where to break its only 55£ a corner to replace :) :) will report back in several weeks on how they settled

I assume these are just for looks as on VAGs they aren't the best known for handling/ride. The other issue is, what is the weight difference between the two cars? Won't the spring loads etc be setup for the heavier car

I assume these are just for looks as on VAGs they aren't the best known for handling/ride. The other issue is, what is the weight difference between the two cars? Won't the spring loads etc be setup for the heavier car

ha ha moderator thats a funny 1 our starlets are THE worst handling cars in the world :)

( there is no spring load u have to do this urselves !!!! ) the mk1 golf is identical on weight then the starlet but lighter upfront so the mk2 coils suit it right you can also adjust spring tension !!!!!!!

and no its not for looks i am already flying faster :)

its not because there cheap that they are shit there just fine for flying up the road

Edited by 5e colin

ha ha moderator thats a funny 1 our starlets are THE worst handling cars in the world :)

( there is no spring load u have to do this urselves !!!! ) the mk1 golf is identical on weight then the starlet but lighter upfront so the mk2 coils suit it right you can also adjust spring tension !!!!!!!

and no its not for looks i am already flying faster :)

its not because there cheap that they are shit there just fine for flying up the road

You clearly haven't driven a citreon ZX, a MK1 Clio or a MK4 gold TDi in anger. Plus a well setup Starlet can handle really well, ask some of the guys that take them on track. And by the springs I was meaning how you get different spring rates or whatever they are to allow for the weight of the car (for ex, a MK4 golf set's springs on a 1.6 will be different to the TDI most likely because of the weight)

You might be going faster, but are you comparing to standard spings or did you already have lowering springs? Just wondering out of pure interest, if it all works then fantastic idea

You clearly haven't driven a citreon ZX, a MK1 Clio or a MK4 gold TDi in anger. Plus a well setup Starlet can handle really well, ask some of the guys that take them on track. And by the springs I was meaning how you get different spring rates or whatever they are to allow for the weight of the car (for ex, a MK4 golf set's springs on a 1.6 will be different to the TDI most likely because of the weight)

You might be going faster, but are you comparing to standard spings or did you already have lowering springs? Just wondering out of pure interest, if it all works then fantastic idea

40mm on shocks i had and it handled horendouse mate , of-course 1 on coils is going to be a joy to drive in stock form there just shit thats just my opinion :)

they use the same springs mate i emailed them for advice 1.4 to the 2.0gti i did not ask about diesal !

????? because i was talking to our mod !!!!!!!!!! get of your horse :)

i cant, my feet are stuck in the stirrups and i'm surrounded by Walkers, if I get off I'll get bitten and turned.

Interesting write up nonetheless. some good research here, and a potentially cheaper solution for members to investigate. a cheaper coilie option is what these cars have been needing for some time.

Phil.

Edited by Nanglebadger

ha ha no bother mate

thanks for the compliment :)

yes thats why i did it i could not afford genuine coils for starlet ( new ) so i started doing research i went to all kinds of brands nissan opel etc etc until i found the german dub forum where there where some measurements of golf so i was a bit lucky to find them :) then after i got referred to a thread on here where they attempted it with polo

atleast now its out in the open

it also seems when u order them for golf then the bottom bits bolt off and on polo 1s they are welded to the coils !!!

So really the polo ones can't be lowered without changing the spring rate and the golf ones can :)

richard the way i see it is on the golfs you can set spring tension so you can keep the full shock travel or desired hardnes

and on the polo you cant you just have to screw the spring al the way down and count on the springs without pre tension ??????

i might be wrong tho im new to coil setup