Dan's 1998 White EP91 Glanza V

Hi guys, been on here a while now, owned a black SR for over 3 years then sold up and bought a track saxo

Got the saxo on the road, hated it, bought a 306 gti6 because it was cheap, hated it. Sold both and bought a Glanza

Saw this 1998 spec one on here for sale from a guy called Andy. Liked the look of it, looked very clean and the guy told me everything that was wrong with it before I went.

So took a trip to the bank to get some pennies then got the missus to drive me 3 and half hours to kent :thumbsup: TROOPER!

As soon as I saw the car I was 99% sure I would drive it home. So had a look round it, went out for a drive cushty cushty cushty. So paid the man some pennies and after trying to sort insurance for almost an hour, drove the beast home.

Spec when I bought it was:

Enkei 15" alloy wheels
Anodised red wheel nuts
Tein coilovers
5zigen replica exhaust
Ported cast manifold

Tewiga half size rad

Blitz dump valve
Jperformance decat
Jperformance front mount intercooler kit

Unknown engine damper (think its JPeformance?)
NGK silicone leads
Toyosports catch can
Sytec fuel pressure reg

HKS FCD
HKS Actuator
Front mount air filter
Swoosh boost gauge
Thatcham Cat 1 alarm fitted

Here's a few pictures from the for sale add

P1000829editcrop_zps85c9fe5c.jpg

P1000823_zpsa6d66d7f.jpg

P1000847_zpse78f9d70.jpg

P1000806_zpsb541cd6f.jpg

P1000849_zpsf76bb8d1.jpg

So after buying the car I noticed it was over fueling / misfiring

I gave the car a full service so some new iridium heat range 7s, new dizzy, oil and filter.

Here's the old plugs, 3 were 'around' 1mm but one was 1.4mm? so that was one problem solved

DSC_01081_zpsf1abbf25.jpg

The car was still overfueling so decided to scrap the fcd / rrfpr idea and bought a JAM ecu off jezza (JPeformance)

So out with the old and in with the new

DSC_0125_zps53dedf27.jpg

Just to confirm lol

DSC_0127_zps2b858eec.jpg

DSC_0126_zps42f1f421.jpg

Next was an whiteline adjustable panhard rod as it still had a standard one on so meant the rear axle will be slightly off center

Basically, its f**kin tight so took it into work to try loosen it off

Got some heat on it, mananged to turn it a 1/4 of a turn lol

DSC_0169_zps56dadb55.jpg

So next made a little 'bowl' out of plasticine and filled it with thread un seizer to leave over night

DSC_0171_zps8b63d199.jpg

Just waiting on the panhard rod to free itself

Bought a different fuel filler / boot popper as the plastic coating come off mine. This ones a bit nicer than standard

DSC_0172_zps615a97be.jpg

Going to race-tech tomorrow (21/03/14) to get the cars fueling, bhp and boost checked

Here's a couple of pics with our mini crew, my mates b16 civic, mk3 fiesta van 1.8 zetec turbo, and ibiza cupra

11111111111111_zps2e2ddcc1.jpg

22222222222222222_zpsb2363840.jpg

Edited by Turbo Goose

I'm sure I grabbed it out a corolla when i was at the scrappy gettin some inner arches for mine off a starlet. its literally one bolt under the carpet that holds it in and the cables are just push in like on bicycle brake levers. I had a quick comparison with the starlet that was there and the fitment looked identical

dan

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update this as I haven't in a little while.

Firstly managed to get the panhard rod free, shot blasted and painted.

DSC_0007_zpseb9913b4.jpg

DSC_0015_zps7389f2ef.jpg

Then fitted my boot popper out of a corolla? I think, looks loads better

DSC_0064_zpsf744007b.jpg

DSC_0070_zps0f1068fc.jpg

Next thing I did was sell the JAM Racing ECU as my car wasn't running right with it. So got an emanage blue fitted and mapped by Race-Tech. Turned out I had a loose wire on my ecu which was most likely the reason it didnt run properly with the JAM ECU but oh well, at least its set up prefectly for my car now.

Me next to Sock's beast at Race-tech

DSC_0002_zps89b19fbd.jpg

DSC_0004_zps54858801.jpg

DSC_0069_zps0cd68aa6.jpg

Made 168bhp at 1 bar which i was dissapointed with tbh but I was told it was because I have a standard manifold which was blowing and a nice crack in the decat

DSC_01491_zps4d2e497a.jpg

Next I got the manifold welded (no pics) and the decat welded as the crack was bigger than J-Lo's

DSC_0081_zps41c57d08.jpg

DSC_0089_zps1842d31c.jpg

Bought a new battery and soldered the lambda sensor wire properly as it was made up of spade connecters

DSC_0097_zpsbc1109b9.jpg

Bought an air con bracket to mount my decat to so it doesnt crack again

DSC_0119_zpsc28febb1.jpg

DSC_0120_zps7313aca7.jpg

Bought new engine oil, gearbox oil and fan mounting kits as its held on with cable ties and shot blasted the air con bracket

DSC_0125_zps0079a508.jpg

Couple of pics of me with my mates new starlet he bought off a Samantha I believe off here.

DSC_0036_zps7901d342.jpg

DSC_0035_zpsbb7a184c.jpg

Edited by Haresign

Good Update Dan!

Good work on that panhard rod! Looks like a brand spanker now!

Whats your full spec? Even though you didn't get the power you want, I bet its transformed the car to before :)?

Keep us all posted!

Cheeky pic of mine too, you perv!

Get your result on the leaderboard too!

http://www.s314kba.co.uk/leaderboard

The spec list is

5zigen rep exhaust
Ported standard manifold (cracked at time of dyno)

Tewiga half size rad

Blitz dump valve
Jperformance decat (Majorly cracked at time of dyno)

NGK silicone leads

NGK Iridium plugs gapped to 1mm
HKS Actuator to 1 bar
Front mount air filter
Emanage blue ecu

Walbro 255 fuel pump

I'm hoping for at least 175 with a manifold and downpipe sorted. In all honesty I was hoping for around 190 originally as the engine not done stupid miles and is good and solid but thats gone out the window.

Ricky advised me to go TD04 next as I've got everything there to run it.

I've added my dyno to the leader board

And yes, the car is completely different, power all the way through the rev range, doesnt cough, doesnt splutter. just like it should be

Edited by Haresign

5zigen rep exhaust - Is this 2.25" / 2.5" ??
Ported standard manifold - Decent Tubular would help!
Tewiga half size rad
Blitz dump valve
Jperformance decat - Fix Crack
NGK silicone leads
NGK Iridium plugs gapped to 1mm
HKS Actuator to 1 bar
Front mount air filter
Emanage blue ecu
Walbro 255 fuel pump

TD04 is always going to be the way forward on a stock engine!

A few small changes, will see you a touch more power though! No Rush Tho Dude!

• 3 months later...

Not updates in a while so here's some bits I've been doing

First off I bought a WEPR TD04 kit from a lad on here. It's been a right ball ache as there was a total of 6 cracks / holes in the most awkward places on the manifold. So its been the welders at work 4 times!! And I mean awkward, right in the crevices where theres like 5mm gap so tig welding is nearly impossible.

Here's when I bought it

20140624_2016511_zpsdee94ad7.jpg

I got rid of the original screamer and wastegate relocation pipe after they had been shot blasted. (2 on the right)

20140625_102439_zpsnfkaeff5.jpg

Here is the screamer pipe I had made, the welders and pipe fitters at work are amazing

20140729_214149_zps3a38a956.jpg

20140723_152706_zps2da4677e.jpg

Here's the stage I am at now while the manifold is back with the welders (joke)

20140729_214214_zps7b28e8f9.jpg

Fitted Celica single pots and machines astra discs I also had done at work.

20140722_212757_zpse5d17bc1.jpg

20140722_215249_zps2ce4bc93.jpg

> 1mm gap, thats tight!

20140722_221036_zps0dc083f8.jpg

Also bought some service bits for when it gets mapped at race tech again

20140729_215326_zps668d4338.jpg

Other bits Ive done is get rid of engine management light as there was a break in the knock sensor cable. Sort out the fuel light being continuously on. Fitted TRD shocks and lowering springs to replace the knackered Tein Coilovers

20140703_183851_zps371e2108.jpg

Previous owner had it taken apart and 'rewelded'. The welds looked pretty but they must not have had enough heat on or something as they hadnt penetrated so were essentially just sat on top of the metal. I presumed this voids the warranty plus i wasnt the original purchaser from wepr

Hmm I'm guessing because someone else has worked on it, it voids the warranty. However, i think you'll still have warranty even if you never bought it of them directly

Aamir

Looks good.

I have had the exact same problem with my car overfuelling and I bought a JAM ECU and its still overfuelling. I am about to fit a SARD FPR and hoping that will help a little (so the tuning company I go to seem to think) if not I really dont know what to do. Bet that was a ball ache to find out where your dodgy wire was from ECU though? I am wondering if I have a similar thing.

My guess is a wiring fault somewhere. Even when i had emanage blue fitted the tuner literally couldnt get the fueling low enough. Then he discovered the wire abd hey presto. He said he didnt check which wire it was just soldered back up when he realused it was broken

• 3 weeks later...

Cheeky update,

Fitting a WEPR evolution kit, tial 38mm wastegate and TF035 turbo.

It's been to race-tech for a remap.

Made 229bhp at the fly at 1.1 bar

Was a mission last night to get my car before Japfest. Took 4 hours to get to sheffield as the M1 was at a stand still. Ben from race tech had to meet me at 7pm to unlock the yard so I could get my car. Can't thank him and ricky enough for letting me get it

20140816_183812_zps492c79ac.jpg

20140816_183936_zpsb61a0544.jpg

Washed the bad boy tonight ready for japfest tomorrow!

Edited by Haresign