coil on plug conversion

I want to know whether it is necessary to have crank trigger for the conversion.

I saw AEM kit for Honda B-engine use only camshaft position sensor.

Out of curiosity can I do the conversion without crank trigger?

Or a conversion guide would be highly appreciated.

Also what ecu would be recommended for the conversion? It seems most of the P&P do not have four outputs.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Dta is not really common in my region..

I afraid that no one know How to set it up..

How about emu?

Also is crank trigger a must for the conversion?

Thank you!

Edited by heikobe

Dta is not really common in my region..

I afraid that no one know How to set it up..

How about emu?

Also is crank trigger a must for the conversion?

Thank you!

you will need a full standalone and a crank triggers probably the easiest way you can buy generic trigger wheels or have them machined. By emu I'm assuming your referring to emanage ultimate?

If your running an aftermarket ecu then the stock 24tooth and sync triggers are fine for COP.

If you don't have 4 ignition drives available you can wire them to run as wasted spark - your still benefitting from strong spark and less moving parts. I've heard that some ecu's with slower chips actually revert to wasted spark at higher rpm anyway just like a lot of sequential injection setups revert to grouped at higher rpm

you will need a full standalone and a crank triggers probably the easiest way you can buy generic trigger wheels or have them machined. By emu I'm assuming your referring to emanage ultimate?

How about using a camshaft position sensor instead? I assume it can be located where the sissy was.

Ya I am saying emanage ultimate. Some said emanage blue doesn't have 4 outputs So I wonder whether emu would have that.

If your running an aftermarket ecu then the stock 24tooth and sync triggers are fine for COP.

If you don't have 4 ignition drives available you can wire them to run as wasted spark - your still benefitting from strong spark and less moving parts. I've heard that some ecu's with slower chips actually revert to wasted spark at higher rpm anyway just like a lot of sequential injection setups revert to grouped at higher rpm

Sorry what is sync trigger??

EMU can do it, but it doesn't work, someones tried it before and couldn't get it going so you really need a standalone with 4 ignition drivers.

As said you can use the original VR sensors from the dizzy setup to have sequential ignition and injection.

heikobe:

Sync trigger sits under the 24tooth wheel in the stock dizzy

I agree the crank trigger would be advantageous but not mandatory

Stock dizzy sensors is more than enough to go full sequential injection and 4 separate coil on plugs.

You just can't do it with the stock ecu, as it has only one ignition channel. You need a stand alone or a separate ignition system like the ford edis. But again in this case you would need another crank trigger and the stock ecu will give an ignition related error, as there will be no ignition feedback signal.

So either stock ecu and ignition, or standalone and whatever.

Can I say crank trigger provide higher accuracy than cam position sensor?

I remember someone here use only that from Mazda.

heikobe:

Sync trigger sits under the 24tooth wheel in the stock dizzy

I agree the crank trigger would be advantageous but not mandatory

Other than DTA, what standalone would be recommended? AEM?

How about MSD? Is it the separate ignition system that you saying?

Stock dizzy sensors is more than enough to go full sequential injection and 4 separate coil on plugs.

You just can't do it with the stock ecu, as it has only one ignition channel. You need a stand alone or a separate ignition system like the ford edis. But again in this case you would need another crank trigger and the stock ecu will give an ignition related error, as there will be no ignition feedback signal.

So either stock ecu and ignition, or standalone and whatever.

I'm not familiar with MSD ignitions, but i suppose that to get a full standalone ignition system, like that used on carbed v8s will cost a lot.

You can get a used standalone ecu (i remember someone selling a haltech sprint 500 for around 600ish here). Even a megasquirt, which is a very powerfull ecu, just needs to know some things and work on it yourself.