Newbie Not Yet Own a Starlet

Hello,

I've had my car license for a number of years but never actually owned a car. The cost to run them was always so much more than my motorbikes (which I also have a license for) that I couldn't bear it.

I'm paying like £80 a year insurance. £50 a month fuel and £20 tax. Compare that to a car wow....You can see my predicament.

I'm massively into tuning my motorbike It's a two stroke so it's nice and easy to tune. Spent £££ on it and built up some experience with engines and tools. The final stages of my motorbike require me to take it off the road so now I actually want a car to help.

I've always been into my cars. And I DON'T want a Ford KA or a Saxo or any other of these terrible cars.

I know I wanted a turbo car but choice out there still leaves me wondering what. My brother owned a Fiat Punto GT 1.4 Turbo and, although unreliable, was massive fun.

So I decided that is what I wanted. Been searching for one for a while (still saving) but then been turned off the idea because whilst I'm handy with tools I don't know whether Italian is for me.

I'm a massive Jap fan love the Jap scene. My brother currently owns a Civic Type R. My friend has a Civic Coupe DZ16 Turbo (conversion). I don't know I want something similar.

I'd rather have a standard Turbo car (Turbo'd from factory) and I'm thinking the Starlet Glanza is for me.

Always loved these cars but they're pricey. Hopefully for good reason.

So that's me. My story.

The Punto is a damn sight cheaper to buy than the Starlet so I'm back on the saving missions to get my dream car. Toyota Startlet Glanza.

I don't know much about these cars so I'm going to use this forum to hopefully get as much information about them as possible. Common faults. What to look for when buying. What's the reasonable price. And hopefully who's local who has one :D

Welcome to the site .

U will find many top motors on here with people having vast experience with them my opinion is save up a good amount and buy a well looked after one these cars can run forever if treated right but remember these cars aren't new and all have teething problems somewhere down the line but are generally easy to work on.

Enjoy scouting round the site

Yeah I appreciate that. I'm no car expert but I'd consider myself an expert on my bike.

I moderate on the forum for it and am the Go To Guy lol.

What sort of price would be worth saving up for a for semi decent one.

Also what models.

There is the Glanza V and S. But the V is the only turbo out the two.

Then there are the GT Turbo models.

I'm aware that Glanza V's are imports? Not sure. Is there somewhere on this forum I can find this out?

Which would you reccomend saving. Like my model bike the older ones were the better ones. But that's not always the way with Cars.

Both The Galnza V & GT are Turbo and they are all imports.

With regards to what ones better its personal opinion, they do have difference in weight/turbo has a extra fin on the Glanza from memory, the glanza are heavier. ect ect.

They should be some threads with information regarding the differnce.

Hope that helps

Yeah that's really useful.

Amazing cars. I've just been reading some of the threads on here.

I can appreciate why they are expensive. But the crashes on here are a bit intimidating.

I've got a long while for saving.

It's my understanding that the standard 1.3 engines out of the starlets are universal. I.e. the non turbo is identical to the turbo? Is an engine swap feasible.

Again I'm sure this is on the forum. I best get digging. I just don't want to be a one hit wonder that you see so often on forums. This place seems really useful.

You have the standard 1.3 non turbo's that people have swapped the 4efte engine for and have a sleeper! Some of them have changed them to look like the Glanza.

Tunning Devlopments do a na conversion kit!

These are amazing lil toys but can be hard to handle best to start with a standard efte and get the grips of that and then tune it standard internals and stock injectors have made 240bhp maybe more! This forum is very helpful and the people on here always go out there way to help! Any question just post a thread up or you can always send me a private message and I'll help as much as possible!

Aye that wasn't what I mean't lol.

Naturally these cars get battered. Should the engine fail I was thinking it's probably cheaper to pick up a Standard Toyota Starlet. Swap the engines over but keep the turbo, manifold, etc. So instead of having the engine rebuilt.

That is a good shout. The standard Starlets are cheap enough to buy and use to get used to. But then that's just a waste of money. I'm not a prat. I have driven 200+ bhp cars. Albeit not at 200 bhp. But that's what I'd intend on doing to the starlet. Just nice and steady.

I don't like looking for cars when I don't have the money cause you always see those "Oh if only I had the money" cars. Then get the money and then suddenly they're made of gold or something haha.

I look forward to it!

• 2 months later...

Well I've put down a deposit on a Mk3 Toyota Starlet GT Turbo in black. I'm not completely convinced it's going to be in tip top condition. Done a mytextcheck an it all checks out okay so the only thing to do now is to go down and have a look. It's been knocking about eBay for the last month or so, so I don't have high expectations. I don't mind a bit of a project to bring it back to perfect health just kinda need a car to drive at the moment so don't want to do it straight away.

It wants some work and the first thing to go has to be those God AWEFUL alloys lmao!

$_57.JPG

Advertised as £1800 I offered £1600 which was accepted. Not sure what to think of it and would be interested in seeing what you guys think.

welcome along bud, and just my opinion but I've owned 3 ep91's (a n/a model, a glanza and a glanza v) and a ep82 starlet gt advance have to say I have loved every single 1 of them but the 1 I thought felt was the nicest to drive handling wise, wich turned more heads an gave me the best feeling overall would have to be the gt advance by a mile! if you could get a good gt advance or gt limited id go 4 it if I was u as they are getting rare to find another + in my opinion, also from my understanding from reading topic on this forum the older models (gt's) are slightly lighter and have slightly better ( or longer) gear ratios aswell making them slightly quicker top end too, and shape wise most people prefer the luvly curves of a glanza were I prefer the older shape, as the saying goes different strokes for different folks jus depends what you prefer no matter wich way you go starlet or glanza they both = AWESOME :thumbsup:

Well as said I've put a deposit down on that Mk3. Ideally I wanted a Glanza but I didn't want to pay 4K for my first car.

But cheers. I did see a GT Advance but it was automatic and a bit sh→t lmao.

This will be my first car so starting off on a good foot I might get one later on in life.

Thanks

^^ nice 1 don't know how I missed that tbh, thought u wer still in the deciding process,lol looks a good 1 lad and not badly priced either imo, but im no expert either just love Toyotas,.. and no need 2 really lad lmao the 1 your getting will not be any worse than a advance or a glanza for that matter as I said it was only my opinion :D

:D Cheers. I already know that I'm stepping into a world of pain with this Starlet, the guy I'm buying it from seems a bit suspect but again for the price I'm getting it at I can afford to chuck some money at it.

One day till I go and pick it up, mans is getting excited haha!

lol good luck with it anyways bud, just try make sure after uv had a good look around it, u put the foot down or get him to put the foot down in it before u buy make if its solid shell and if thers no smoke plenty of poke and no crunching in the gears orany knocking sounds then she well worth the doe, and worth the putting the money into as the potential is crazy in these wee cars since they're so light, as im sure your well aware of being a bike guy :) again tho im no expert im sure some of the guys on here with bit more knowledge can advise you bit better, as ya can prob tel already im jus bit biased cuz have always loved starlets/glanzas lol