Glanza White Paint Mismatch

Hi,

I got some paint made up in halfords which was supposed to be "040 Super White" for my rear bumper but it doesn't seem to match the existing paintwork :(

20140829_161406.jpg

I sprayed it using white primer, 040 Super White and lacquer... have I done something wrong or have Halfords mixed the paint up wrong?

Sorry about the picture quality - the whole car is so white it burns your retinas off when the sun hits it, but the bumper has come out a creamy colour :(

Cheers

Edited by sdutton007

I'm currently painting my car in 040 and to give you an idea it should look like this

20140830_171759_zpsm8so5eo6.jpg

So on that comparison I'd say the colour of the bumper is off lol.

You can get a slight brightness differences in colour for a few reasons but it's basically due to uneven or poor coverage. Seeing as the colour is way off I'd say it's not down to that... What lacquer did you use and how does it feel? Was the colour any brighter before you put the lacquer on?

Chances are they mixed the paint wrong and you should take it back for a refund or the right colour lol.

I'm currently painting my car in 040 and to give you an idea it should look like this

20140830_171759_zpsm8so5eo6.jpg

So on that comparison I'd say the colour of the bumper is off lol.

You can get a slight brightness differences in colour for a few reasons but it's basically due to uneven or poor coverage. Seeing as the colour is way off I'd say it's not down to that... What lacquer did you use and how does it feel? Was the colour any brighter before you put the lacquer on?

Chances are they mixed the paint wrong and you should take it back for a refund or the right colour lol.

Cheers for the reply. I just used the normal paint lacquer from Halfords which feels normal to me and didn't change the colour.

I would probably have noticed earlier but I was spraying in my garage which doesn't have the best lighting lol.

I think you're right that they've mixed the paint wrong and will try taking it back for the right colour but I think I'm going to have an argument on my hands since I think they should also replace the wasted primer and lacquer, although I guess that I should probably have test sprayed something first to check the colour match :(

On a related subject, I notice that you are doing it the proper way with a compressor and air-gun. I have both of these but no idea what paint to buy, what ratio of paint to thinners to use or much else really lol... Could you possibly point me in the right direction by telling me what I need to buy to spray a bumper (for example) including primer and lacquer? Many thanks!

Edited by sdutton007

Cheers for the reply. I just used the normal paint lacquer from Halfords which feels normal to me and didn't change the colour.

I would probably have noticed earlier but I was spraying in my garage which doesn't have the best lighting lol.

I think you're right that they've mixed the paint wrong and will try taking it back for the right colour but I think I'm going to have an argument on my hands since I think they should also replace the wasted primer and lacquer, although I guess that I should probably have test sprayed something first to check the colour match :(

On a related subject, I notice that you are doing it the proper way with a compressor and air-gun. I have both of these but no idea what paint to buy, what ratio of paint to thinners to use or much else really lol... Could you possibly point me in the right direction by telling me what I need to buy to spray a bumper (for example) including primer and lacquer? Many thanks!

Sounds like they def mixed the paint wrong but I'm afraid their argument will also be that you should have tested it first. They should hopefully give you a refund or the right colour but again they might fight you and say your car is a different colour or you should have it colour matched first etc. Halfords probably have a million and one excuses ready in a book for these situations.

As for using a gun and compressor I can tell you the basics to start but the only real way of getting used to what works for you is by practicing as everyone's different. I used to work by the book and what I read online but after trying different ratios and methods I realise now that they're just a rough guide lol. To start off with there is so much to take in with painting that you probably wont get it perfect for a while but you'll get a decent finish by following the guidelines and gradually get better the more you do.

Before I go any further I must insist that you research the risk of using 2k paints. Always use the right mask in a well ventilated area. I say this for you own safety as it's basically cyanide that sets this style paint. Breathing it, drinking it, getting it in your eyes etc can kill you. That said, when I don't have access to the right mask I always just use it outside, with a good respirator, goggles, a hoodie on also over my mask and gloves etc with my clothes covering my whole body.

The gun: There are bottom fed and gravity fed guns, although the only reason I would use a bottom fed gun is for spraying glitter as it would clog a gravity fed. Other than that you're going to be better off using a gravity fed gun (these are the ones with the cup on the top of the gun). They're easier to move around and don't get in the way much, they're more efficient and lighter which makes a big difference after you've been painting for an hour or so. Setting up the gun can be a challenge at first. Most guns have an adjustment for how much volume paint comes out, an adjustment for the spray pattern, an adjustment for the trigger response and then to top it off you get different size nozzles... If I were you I would recommend getting some cheap paint or primer, a big piece of card and have a go setting it up using all the adjustments to get a feel for it and find what does what, how fast you'll need to move with it to not get runs or orange peel and get used to spraying in a pattern with a steady hand. When I paint I overlap my previous stroke by about 50-75% depending on the area, spray pattern/width and paint I'm using. This again is just a guide, do what works for you.

Paints: There are a range of different paint types. 1k aka single pack (which is a solvent based paint, same stuff you get in aerosols and can be mixed to pretty much anything, primer, colours including metallic (mica), lacquer etc), 2k aka 2 pack (which can be a primer, a solid colour (not metallic) or a clear coat (lacquer)), cellulose which I'm not too clued up about (again solid colours only (I think), similar to 2k but solvent based like a 1k, requires polishing to maintain, used on all older cars (like 70s and before)), water based which again I'm not too clued up on (I think this is just for base coats (the colour) and is now used in most bodyshops (I think) due to it being safer to use than solvent based paints). There may be others but to be honest as a beginner or even as a hobby you'll probably only ever encounter 1k and 2k.

Ratios: To begin with ALWAYS mix paint in a mixing cup either using the markings on the cup or a set of scales. Ratios are all different. A 1k paint has always been 1:1 which is 50% paint and 50% thinners. It dries by the thinners evaporating so the ratio doesn't effect how it will dry in the end as it will always dry, however it may come out wetter and thinner with the more thinners you use which can be good for a flatter smoother finish but runs the risk of runs where as a thicker mix will lay down quicker and fill in more pin holes etc but may look orange peely and also take longer to dry. For starting I would just stick to 1:1...... 2k colours and clear coats are usually always a 2:1 mix which is 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener with 10% thinners on top of that although I usually use about 15%. 2k primers are usually always a 4:1 mix which is 4 parts paint to 1 part hardener and again another 10% thinners on top of that although I personally use 15-20%. 2k paint works by having the colour or clear as a liquid and then a hardener to activate the paint. As I said above, ALWAYS use 2k with caution.... If you're ever unsure of the mixing ratio, ask the paint shop or google as usually the information can be found there too.

Getting even more confusing is what to use for what job. It's up to you how you want to do the bumper after taking into consideration the stages, costs, safety, finish etc. I'm just going to pin point stuff to make it easier but here are some main tips and guides along with stuff to consider.

Set your compressor to about 2 bar or just over 28-35psi when the trigger is pulled.

Always use a water and oil trap in your airline.

spray the whole panel from one side to the other keeping the same distance away, or do it in segments for something like a bumper, do one side, then the middle then the other side.

1k colour always needs lacquering whether you use a 1k lacquer or 2k lacquer.

1k lacquer requires regular polishing to maintain and isn't as hard wearing as 2k.

you can only paint metallic colours in 1k basecoat or water based paints. You cannot paint metallic colours in 2k.

water based paints need either a booth or a hot day to dry.

2k paint is the hardest wearing.

2k paint will give you the best finish.

2k paint is the cheapest option when available (painting a none metallic colour).

2k paint does not need lacquering.

2k is dangerous due to the hardener and proper safety equipment should be used.

You're supposed to use 2k thinners with 2k paint, although I don't always. I believe standard thinners are just a little harsher.

Realistically in this case you have 2 options really which is down to you and how you feel about it.

1. Use a 1k basecoat 040 white, mixed at a 1:1 ratio with standard thinners, leave to dry and then use a 1k clear coat mixed again at 1:1, do all your coats and leave to dry over night and then compound and polish the following day providing it's dried properly. If unsure leave it a few more days... This is the safer way to do it but will be less a finish and requires more attention and detailing. It will also work out more expensive I believe.

2. Use a 2k 040 white mixed 2:1 (2 parts paint to 1 part hardener and then 10-15% 2k thinners) and leave to dry... It may require polishing without experience but with practice, it really is as easy as paint it, leave it, fit it, done. It's just the health factor that comes into it!

I personally would go for option 2. However for yourself I would recommend option 1. It's just safer and at the end of the day is it really worth risking your health for a good paint job? I don't give many fucks and say yes lol! I've seen guys painting this shit without a mask and they've done it for years. I'm sure it will catch up with them but I feel the odd bit of painting I do here and there with the precautions I take, I'm sure I will be fine :)....

I know that's a hell of a lot to take in, but take your time and read it through a few times. It's a learning curve but you'll be glad you did it. I've done so many paint jobs now that would have cost me thousands and thousands. Plus I do paint for mates now and again which is a good earner :).

Any more questions just ask, I'm sure I missed loads of details and only really brushed over getting started but it's such a vast subject that you only really learn from doing.

Best of luck dude!

Edited by aaddzz123

040 white is a 2-1 mixture paint been 2, 1 been hardener, you don't lacquer 2-1 paint only metallics, use a wet n dry 600 to key the bumper again and go to a proper paint store to get your materials :)

I would go for option 2 above aswell but I wouldn't ad any thinners just an extra couple of coats but I would ad thinners if you were painting straight onto a primered surface, I would key all the surface with 600/800 wet n dry and use a good amount of coats to cover the old white.

I would go for option 2 above aswell but I wouldn't ad any thinners just an extra couple of coats but I would ad thinners if you were painting straight onto a primered surface, I would key all the surface with 600/800 wet n dry and use a good amount of coats to cover the old white.

Agreed with the keying although with 2k solids you may as well use a 240 wet and dry as it will sink in to any light scratches and pin holes. I personally do anyway. I always used to spray 2k without thinners too for the high build when flattening back and polishing, but I find it easier now to just thin it down a tad more so it lays nice and flat and then I don't even have to flatten it back after. It's usually perfect straight out the gun (or good enough lol)

Agreed with the keying although with 2k solids you may as well use a 240 wet and dry as it will sink in to any light scratches and pin holes. I personally do anyway. I always used to spray 2k without thinners too for the high build when flattening back and polishing, but I find it easier now to just thin it down a tad more so it lays nice and flat and then I don't even have to flatten it back after. It's usually perfect straight out the gun (or good enough lol)

All good, I would use a 600 wet or lower for any sinkage's pinhole's etc I try not to use thinners just it pulls out or can react to any other paints or whatever been used but can boost the shine abit more rather than the lacquer on 2k paints that's the one aaddzz paint shine from the gun like a pro lol :D

I use my local paint shop for base coats and specific colours just because it's hard to get them online. But stuff like primer, hardener, thinners, papers, blocks, filler, etc etc etc I literally get it all off ebay. So much cheaper! Get the 040 from the shop and get everything else online. Should save some pennies :)

Um, to be honest I asked for '040 Super White'... would this be a creamy colour?

Yes mate that's your problem, the super white 2 is a much whiter colour, has less yellow and red in the mix.

Starlets are super white 2

Have you tcut the parts near it . I sprayed a rear splitter recently and was very different when next to bumper but after a good tcut it was a good match .

Nope. The glanza is the colour it should be but the bumper is way off.

T cut will not make a difference that colour is way off there may be a slight shade difference because of boot been metal and bumper plastic yes there is quite a few super whites number 2 is what you need as above

Yes mate that's your problem, the super white 2 is a much whiter colour, has less yellow and red in the mix.

Starlets are super white 2

I've done some research and am pretty sure there is no paint called 'Super White' with the code 040. There is a 'Super White 2' with that code though.

Plus it would be absolutely stupid to have 2 completely different paints with the same paint code.

I've done some research and am pretty sure there is no paint called 'Super White' with the code 040. There is a 'Super White 2' with that code though.

Plus it would be absolutely stupid to have 2 completely different paints with the same paint code.

I've seen at least 3 shades of the superwhite there written like a numeral I,II,III take your car up to anywhere that mixes paint and has swatch colour cards to match the paint, everything you find in halfrauds is cheaper on ebay there only good for the life guarantee'd tools!

When I had my rear bumper etc done I sent my fuel cap off so the paint was mixed to match that best thing to remember is also that your car is the paint code it says it is but it is no longer brand new so without gettin a decent paint match there will always be variations in colour I think there are a few shades of 040 available aswel just add more of a ball ache into the equation