• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right after a hectic few days getting both cars MOT'd and the starlet aligned, taxed and everything else i actually had the opportunity to drive to work in the thing. Now as great as it was it also highlighted some issues.

* rear arches... scrub like f**k with the spacers so will be leaving that with a friend to roll them before JAE. Hes also going to look at the fronts whilst hes at it.

*mr-S powersteering. Currently only wired in on a fixed supply so is very light at speeds. Going to wire this in to the speed signal and test again.

* side note, steering pulls under load in 5th gear a speed. Not sure if this is related to PS or if its alignment issues.

*rattles on idle. Mainly steering column and boot trim/center brake light. Not sure if im going to try and brace the column or raise the idle slightly.

• 1 month later...

Well the car made JAE, got a good bit of attention which is always nice, great to meet everyone old and new as well. Had the arches rolled before hand and with a car loaded full of shit it didnt scrub at all so thats sorted. Not done anything about the rattles yet but will sort something when i look at dropping the steering column. Wired up the speed signal to the PS but it made little to no difference so looked into it further and there is a few other components to the full setup. So will get my hands on them and get them fitted to see if that sorts it. Steering pulling turned out to be a loose wishbone bolt... oops! Now have a dent man coming out tomorrow to work his magic on about 12 or more dents so it might actually look as clean as it does in pictures haha. Bits in the pipeline, tweaking the exhaust, had a chat with a work mate and been looking online at theorys to exhaust noise, few options, first and easiest, get the tailpipe to exit past/level with the bumper, sound waves flair out as they leave the tailpipe so with mine sitting under the bumper the sound is getting pulsed straight into the cabin. Failing that add an anti-drone pipe, these are for cancelling drone at certain rpms, mine is really bad around 3-3.5k (cruising speed) the idea is you add a capped pipe at 90degrees to the exhaust, it needs to be 1/4 of the way down what would be the length of the soundwave in your exhaust. The idea is the soundwave would travel down your exhaust and down the AD pipe and the it would rebound at exactly the opposite resonance and cancel the drone out. Simples... Anyway i doubt anyone cares but heres a pic of it haha

7081cb2fe5562e1424bfdf9242ce874e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So dent man came and worked his magic. Got rid of about 15 dents in total, 1 or 2 he couldnt do anything with but in general it was a huge improvement and ill get some before and afters sorted shortly.

So im Going to try and have a productive day or 2 on this now, managed to fix my jack (for now) so can do a few bits I've been planning on.

Full Service is top of the list

- oil and filter

- plugs

- clean and reoil airfilter. 

Got a new alternator as mine packed up but it uses a larger terminal so I've got to open mine up to fit it, Also going to drop the exhaust in the hope to find a missing washer thats rattling around in there. 

Finally i may look at making a false floor for the boot so i can fit the boot carpet kindly donated by pete and get my spare wheel in there nicely.20170927_142332.thumb.jpg.1ec1100ef10ba4

• 1 month later...

Not much to update really, been collecting bits for my halfshalf just waiting for some better weather to get stuff fitted, fitted a low rail to my drivers recaro which gives a much better seating position, I've still got to do the passengers side. 

Had my Sparco viper R's powder coated recently and have them away getting tyres fitted by a friend so should be able to pick them up next week. 

In a bit of a lazy mood with the car tbh. Its jacked up on the lawn which is like a swamp so been put off doing anything. 

20171122_221350.jpg

• 6 months later...

Not much of an update, the car is taxed again, developed a misfire from somewhere so got to fix that now. Got a new adjustable height steering column to fit to suit the lower position of the low rails. I'm also going to be test fitting a few different intake bits to test things out. 1st is a test of shorter trumpets just to see if they suit my current air filter better. I'm also going to try the plenum back on with a stock airbox and a couple of different trumpets just to see what I prefer. 

I'm also looking at changing the exhaust to make it quieter. After driving around in my corolla for so long I Really can't be arsed with it droning away all the time so would sacrifice a few hp for some refinement lol. After all my end goal is to make it a fairly comfy daily that I can have some fun in if I see fit, no point having a car if you can't use it all the time hey?? :D

my sr is coming off road for a while now bit of tlc over the next year think ive had it 18 years now not a patch on some srs on here just a humble daily sat on 154k 

• 4 months later...

Not much to update, car is overfuelling like crazy on idle, not sure if thats going to be O2 sensor or ECU shit itself.

just had an fgk manifold modded to fit and new bigger boxes added to the exhaust to quieten it down a bit. Next plan is to fit the OEM airbox and inlet plenum with some imex trumpets. The idea of this is to make it more dailyable and to try make the power band drop down to the midrange some more.

I've also changed the driver's side driveshaft to an idem from a ae111 Levin so its now a halfshaft therefore nearly equal length shafts. 

Clutch is really high and slips a tad, think the slave cylinder is sticking as the thing has only done 12k so we will see what's happening there.

Then final bits to do is a bit of sound proofing and fixing knocks and rattles from the interior etc. 

For the mean time here is a pic of how it is sitting next to the old mans new rav4

IMG_20181110_150353.thumb.jpg.7ed45d64f61c067be1c5a83a2a15152a.jpg