• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Well been faffing around testing things to try and get to the bottom of my over fueling issue, still none the wiser. So I decided to book it in for a Dyno run to find out when exactly it's over fuelling to try and narrow things down a bit. 

In the mean time I fitted the OEM intake plenum and airbox to make it quieter, I used to 30mm imec trumpets inside the thing so these will still make the power a bit peaky but I think overall it should have shifted down a bit. But It definitely is missing some urgency which I'm assuming is down to the fuelling, compared to my daily corolla with a 20v its no where near as responsive 

It's a bit of a squeeze and I need to modify the top of the plenum to give clearance to the strut brace but it's all in. Actually quite like the sound of it, it's got a good grunt to it

IMG_20181204_151044.thumb.jpg.fc560c74ef8274425279cc08a684ff83.jpg

12 hours ago, Pikey009 said:

Good work mate. I know it’s a lot of money but have you thought about sticking some management on it? 

I have, and I still am debating it but unless I went boost I don't feel it would be worth it. I might get an extra 10-15whp and slightly better mpg but is it really worth £1k? Or what ever it would cost. 

As for your name change you'd have to speak to an admin, moderators don't have that ability I'm afraid.

Nothing off the shelf fromt ME, I could make a jumper harness but you'd still be getting up towards 1k by the time you've bought it and had it all mapped. I have an E-manage sitting here but there's loads of contradicting stories of them dropping maps on 4age's so I'm reluctant to use it. Plus the few times it's been on a Dyno it's been running extremely well and fueling spot on. The operators usually comment on how good it is and when asked about improvements from an ECU they've said it would be negligible. 

There will be gains I'm sure and probably most of it from the midrange which would be a good thing but at the moment management isn't going to fix the fuelling issue unfortunately.

Yeh I know what you’re saying, it is a lot of cash after all the money you’ve put in to it I guess. I’ve not heard great things about the emanage blues to be honest.

Well they must see loads of different cars so good comments from them on how the car is running is worth it’s weight

Right, ran over mosts bits in the engine bay with a multimeter, checking resistance or voltage.

Tps sweep test, Map, Iat, Injectors, o2, water temp. Etc etc 

Everything checked fine out so next thing will be mechanical items, fpr, and fuel pump fuel injectors then ecu. 

Hopefully the dyno run tomorrow will shed some light on what it could be as im running out of ideas lol

Riiiight, so had it on the dyno, did some load testing and power runs to test fuelling under a range of conditions. 

Good news is its not that bad, its rich on idle, around 13.5 - 13.9. Cruising was ok at 14.7-15.1, jumping around a bit but otherwise where it should be. And under WOT its pretty much where it should be and i had a look back over an old dyno from 2011 when it had a similar setup and the AFR graph was almost identical so i guess i got panicked over nothing other than maybe a faulty o2 sensor. 

As for power, its a different dyno to previous runs but the figures were about on par. 

Again huge driveline losses but identical to previous runs elsewhere so not sure whats causing that but results were 

178fly @ 8400

132wheel 46hp loss... :sad:

122lbft @ 6200

New run fuelling is the ditty one in pink lol

IMG_20181212_223013.thumb.jpg.7fbccbc05e1270be322a1381777f183e.jpg

old run from 2011 fuelling at bottom

dyno1y0.thumb.jpg.1eeff10c04351dea93931f0d0fa88d16.jpg

As you can see, they are almost identical leaning out and richening up in the same places.

Looking at your dyno runs you are quite a bit leaner on your latest run. You are running 13.5:1 average on WOT, it only really tapers down to 13.0:1 over 7000rpm for 1k, whereas before it was 12.5:1.

Ive never mapped a 4AGE so I don’t know what they like, but rule of thumb as a starting point on a n/a is 13.0, Honda’s like it a bit richer at 12.5:1 like you were before so that may be another reason why it doesn’t feel quite as spritly too. 

Now you mention it it is a tad leaner, maybe thats down to it having some drop in poncams now. Itsmaking more power and torque than previous and the tester did seem happy enough with it so ill carry on using it for now. I took it out for a drive afterwards and it did feel quicker so im wondering if it was just a bit choked up for being sitting around and only warmed from time to time?

The other issue is I dont have any means of adjusting fuelling currently so unless i stick an aftermarket fpr i cant see me being able to make any changes. 

Just as a comparison

2011 run was

Hks mushroom filter with long arm intake

Factory trumpets in plenum

Oem ht leads

4-2-1 obx manifold

Decat

2.5" header back exhaust.

Factory auto ecu. Speed limited

C52 5speed box

2018 run was

Oem airfilter in factory air box

30mm apex trumpets (advised to switch back to oem)

Spitfire 8mm ht-leads 

4-2-1 fgk manifold

Decat

2.5" manifold back exhaust

Factory auto ecu delimited

C56 5 speed box

That is one of the issues with  our Toyota ECUs there isn't really an easy/cheap option like there is with chipping a Honda ECU. 

You could try an adjustable FPR but then itll get richer everywhere so your idle etc will then be even further off.

They are costly but honestly a proper ECU calibrated correctly is easily worth the money, even from a safety aspect too with the protection parameters you can put it. Plus with a Starlet you'll be buying a generic wire in, so you could always move it across to your next car too.

Hmm i think im going to stick a new o2 in it and see how it goes, i dont really  fancy throwing another £1k + at it just now, I know its really the best option but If its running ok then so be it. 

I still need to look at the powersteering and make that heavier, then I'll be pretty happy with the car and will start using it more and find the love for it again, maybe then I'll be more inclined to throw some extra money at it.

• 4 months later...

Not really done much with this, just had a play around with the exhaust to stop it knocking at which point i found the guys who modded it fucked up the gasket on the V-band and had filled it with sealant so i cleaned it all up and fitted an o-ring instead. 

I broke the wiring on the antenna for my alarm so need a new harness for that -_-

Had a big rattle from the boot which was the plastic trim covering the rear wiper motor etc so pulled it off untill i get some new clips. 

Erm yeah thats about it list of stuff to do is

- New bolts for rear strut brace or make clearance holes in backs of seats

- mod intake plenum for clearance for front strut brace

- fit rear boot carpet

- change window switches back to old ones

- find last missing wheel center cap and fit with new speedline stickers

- replace tte badge that fell off the spoiler

- make p/steering lighter

- clean iacv and fit pipe to intake plenum (currently just to atmosphere)

No idea when ill do these but atleast i have a list to work through lol

• 2 weeks later...

Ah cheers mate that’s very kind of you. Mine was dying up hills on the way back down to work today though, could do with some extra beans! 

Edited by Pikey009