convert dizzy cap to electronic distribution do able ??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-STARLET-1-3-DISTRIBUTOR-IGNITION-LEADS-CAP-1332cc-FREE-P-P-96-99-/321561926106?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ade9599da

I have a dizzy capped starlet turbo 4e-fte.

my question is can u convert to a electronic distribution like the link above.

is it just a matter of redoing wiring and has anybody done it ??

That's just a normal dizzy is it not? You can see the rotating shaft go into the cap assuming there's a rotor arm in there.

I'm guesssing you mean convert to the OEM distributorless setup where the coil is mounted on the side of the engine? If that's the case then I don't believe it can be done unless you get the ECU with it as it will be mapped for it.

Its just out of interest really as they are low maintenance as such compared to a dizzy cap

Mine all works spot on as its all been renewed but just wondering about the DIS being fitted to a dizzy capped starlet

Edited by mikey4410

No real point. If anything the stock external coil is better for longevity as its away from the heat of the engine. COP would be good but you really need an aftermarket ecu to make the most from them

You could do it, i had a JDM Gen3 Carat which used the DIS ignition, sold most of the parts to a lad who was gonna do the swap all he needed was a crankshaft position sensor.

The later 4EFE Corollas use the same setup and if you really wanted to you could use stuff from that but youd need the ECU, and then you might have an issue of plugs not matching.

Im confused. The add in the link is just for a standard uk starlet dizzy with internal coil. Still has a rotating arm and points just the coil cant be upgraded.

The only oem upgrade is the jdm 4efe COP setup. Which would prob mean having to run the 4efe ecu which would be a no go on a 4efte without major work?

• 6 years later...