Okay so just a general discussion,

I'm currently 19, and doing my 3rd year of hgv apprenticeship, so anyway I'm looking to save from now until I'm 21 and buy myself a honda civic Ek9.

I'm hoping to then get one freshly imported, and 21's a decent age for insurance!

My discussion is. Has anyone owned one?, driven one? Been in one?

I've been in my mates ej9 civic and a eg, but haven't experienced B series's vtec lol!

My minds decided to get one! But just thought I'd throw up a topic :)

Cheers, josh.

they are a marmite car either you love them or hate them. ive been in one several times and this is my opinion.

- b16 series probably the best N/A 1.6 engines ever built by anyone.

- handling even in stock form is superb, i honestly think around a track where the straights arent massive a 9 would easily stick with the top hottest FWD hatches today even a focus RS.

- yes price tag is mega but they hold their value really well. after all it is THE original civic type r so bound to be a future classic.

but for me personally i would never own one i dont think for a few reasons.

- the b16b is a bloody fantastic engine - until you want much over the stock power output. 210ish is really as high as your gonna get reliably and its gna start costing a bomb. Its fairly quick as standard - 180hp starlet quick.

- if you do wanna go mad then vtec turbo is potentially insane power but forget it on a b16b for good power you need a d series or a b16a2 which comes in the much cheaper and not much less capable civic ek4.

- unfortunately the money for a decent 9 would get you a mint ek4, coilovers, big brakes, recaro seats, turbo kit and all the kit to run a safe 10psi which is gna give you a car that would eat any 9 (and most other stuff).

Edited by richglanzav

Josh I have to agree with everyone they are one of if not the greatest handling fwd cars of its time but Jesus they come with a price tag !

I personally think richglanzav has hit it spot on here .........

unfortunately the money for a decent 9 would get you a mint ek4, coilovers, big brakes, recaro seats, turbo kit and all the kit to run a safe 10psi which is gna give you a car that would eat any 9 (and most other stuff).

Having an ek9 would be great but consider the other honda options of your after power for a decent price :)

James

I love the EK9, one of my best mates has one. I love them, they look awesome, they sound great, they go well and the handling is phenomenal.

But, if i had the modifiying bug, i couldnt buy an EK9. With the price tag they come with these days, I couldnt justify 7k+ for a good one, then to take it away from standard form.

If I bought an EK9 it would have to be kept mint standard and kept in the garage (ps i know the GT spends most of its time in the garage) but atleast I can look and think about about modifying it.

Although id love to own an ek9. I would be tempted by a nice EK4, especially if I was going to modify it.

RichGlanza pretty much got it spot on. You either love them or hate them.

The 9 was by far the best handling car I have ever owned. I had mine imported by an enthusiast directly from JP, so I managed to save quite a bit opposed to going to a UK trader.

The b16b takes some getting used to...you really have to keep it on the boil to get the best of out of it, but sooooo rewarding when you do.

For most, this can get a bit tiresome and boring, as you don't get anywhere fast unless you drive it like you stole it...which can be an issue if you drive it daily. Get it on and track to exploit this though, and you begin to really appreciate the car for what it is. Honda really went to town with their r and d on this car.

That said, within a month or so of owning mine, I lost interest in straight line speeds, and begin to prefer b road blasts and twisties much more!!.

The b18c swop has been done to death in them, and I see a lot more people now doing k20 swops, and turbo'ing them. I know a couple of lads that have turbo'ed stock b16bs with good results.

I could go on forever man....so if you need any more info, just drop me a pm.

Edited by Djaniero

Here we go what?? Have a look on internet 2 racing drivers and clarkson tested numerous cars to find the best handling car and 106 gti came 3rd would have been 1st but they didn't want a little French car at the top lol.

What came first and second then? Lol I don't think I can trust Jeremy I take it you havn't raced a gti 2013 or 2014 then haha :D

Here we go what?? Have a look on internet 2 racing drivers and clarkson tested numerous cars to find the best handling car and 106 gti came 3rd would have been 1st but they didn't want a little French car at the top lol.

I know what video your on about they race them round mallory Park think Ferrari 355 and so porsche was top

I used to own a '97 Pre-facelift EK9 a few years ago. Was freshly imported by a chap just outside of Reading. I took the train down to pick it up and drive it all the way back up to Scotland. Sooooo much fun!

As said already, the B16 engine is superb! Even standard. Vtec sounds brilliant when paired with a decent air filter set up. That's the only modification that I did to mine, no need to mess about with suspension as they handle so well in standard form

Price can be high but they are a sure future classic and will only rise in value if the mileage is kept fairly low. Seems hard to find any these days with under 100k on the clock. Mine only had 64k when I bought it! Lowest mileage standard car that I could find

Just for investment's sake – get one now while you can before Honda goes back into F1 and before the new TypeR comes out in 2015. Prices are sure to increase once this happens (Like the what happened to the original AE86 when the GT86 came out). One of the reason's why I'm still holding on to mine...

To give you a taste of what a lightly moded (coilovers + 17" tires/wheels + exhaust + chipped ECU still with the stock b16b didn't even change the intake) EK9 can do here's mine chasing a friend's EVO 4 RS around the track:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-edEVjVs8M&list=UUfV0LTGP1px3rhttsjwCPFA

Edited by mindless