Back in a GT! grey mk2 auto.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Still dailying this with no issues other than my exhaust rear hander i made a few years ago cracked and fell off while the car was parked up which was weird, so i welded that up and that was that sorted.

Over a good while my drivers window was getting worse and worse, some times it only seemed to work on warm days, other times the door card needed a tap to get it moving. then it started not driving the wondow back up at all.

Luckily i have quite a few spairs including 2 complete gt doors. So i stripped one of these down and then the same to the one in the car.

48619087956_4d217ee321_k.jpg20190825_175951 by Bean Beano, on Flickr

This is what both the motors looked like inside. The one on the right was the one i removed from the car.

48618739208_365b982772_k.jpgWindow motor rebuild by Bean Beano, on Flickr

48619237582_a24a08437e_k.jpgWindow motor rebuild by Bean Beano, on Flickr

48619090171_593b0d59a6_k.jpgWindow motor rebuild by Bean Beano, on Flickr

I stripped the gear mechanism down and cleaned it all out, degreased to remove the old manky grease then regreased it with new stuff.

Another pic of the one which came out the car

48618740288_bc1670b0f5_k.jpgWindow motor rebuild by Bean Beano, on Flickr

The window works great now. Its probably a good idea if youve got a GT and you havent ever repalced the motor to take it out and check the condition and do this, and regrease all the mechanism it could save you having to replace the motor.

Another fix which didnt cost me anything so chuffed with that.

Little video of my rapid window!

48630755151_80dd888cdc_o.jpgWindow fix by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Edited by Bean
  • 1 year later...

Well EMO was starting to look very tired, all the clear coat was peeling off the bonnet, the front wings were rotten from a bad previous repair years ago and the bumpers had scuffs, and the spoiler was badly faded.

So i swapped the wings over which i bought years ago that were rust free.

The paint was pretty much holding the wings together.

IMG_20210715_185325_761

I stripped the car down as much as i could to help the bodyshop man, and just left things held on with a couple of screws or clips.

IMG_20210715_185325_727

The car had been booked into the bodyshop for just the front end and the mirrors resprayed originally, but when we looked at it we deceided to do the front end plus basically the gt body kit plus the back bumper and then i remembered about the optional aero kit i had so i thought i would get the bumper spats done too. I dropped the car off at the bodyshop which is next to my mates garage so i do call down now and a again.

2021-08-19_05-07-06

I would go down and for over a month there was no sign of anything getting started on it, i even bought the epoxy primer for it myself as i wanted it done in a certain primer. I called in last week and still no progress, so thought i would give it another week and if there was no progress i would give him one last week or find somewhere else for it.

I called in after work today and there was no sign of it outside the garage so i started wandering into the bodyshop thinking it was maybe sat inside being sanded down... Still no sign of it so i look inside the booth and there she is all painted, hes ended up respraying the full car all except for the boot and roof.

20210819_14391320210819_143924

However its not all good news! the paint mix was off so the colour doesnt match so hes had the car colour scanned and they are mixing another batch up and hes going to re do it then clear coat it (no clear coat on in the pics) I was that excited i never got any decent pics im afraid haha.

Hopefully it should be all painted in the next few days then i can start putting it back together.

Edited by Bean
6 minutes ago, Kieran Barber said:

Glad to see she's getting the care she deserves mate, can't wait to see the car in its finished state.

Im mega chuffed mate, thing is the car is stuck in the booth now until its finished so he has to finish the car now or he cant use his booth!

Ive had a really shitty few days this week and if i went to see my car still sat outside the bodyshop with no progress i think it might have tipped me over the edge! But its really cheered me up and i think once its finished and looks really good i will enjoy it more and get some motivation back to finish the odd jobs on it.

Ive no idea what the job is going to cost as hes ended up painted alot more than i was expecting but so long as it looks good when its finished i dont care.

Edited by Bean
10 hours ago, Dale SR said:

I've always loved this GT Really looking forward to seeing her finished, Great Work she already looks amazing! 

Cheers mate.  I'm going to call round today after work,  early finish its FRIDAY! So I will try get some more pics.

Just called down and it was sat outside, hes painted it again in the colour matched colour. It doesnt quite match the boot so hes going to paint that too now. The bumpers, arch trim pieces, grill, mirrors and aero kit are still to paint which hes making a start on this afternoon. Hopefully i might have it back next week.

A couple pics how it came out of the booth, it still hasnt been de nibbed or had any polishing yet though. The finish is really good no orange peel which alot of bodyshops round here seem to think is acceptable to put out.

The rear bumper was badly faded thats why the colour looks so far off.

20210820_13084020210820_130848

Shes going to look so much better, im not sure how i will feel about using it for work everyday once its completed then polished and waxed.

Edited by Bean
On 8/21/2021 at 9:58 PM, Pikey009 said:

Great bit of TLC for the workhorse mate. Makes me want to take the plunge too! 

Haha go for it mate!

On 8/23/2021 at 8:36 PM, Sam44 said:

looks great and ive not seen many in this colour. 

Cheers Sam, hoepfully it will maybe be back together soon!

Well we are slightly further on now. The bumpers and grill have had their first coat of primer and are currently been sanded down. They should hopefully get painted today / tomorrow.

2021-08-27_02-06-12

Edited by Bean

Another small update, boot is painted as are the front aero spats and the drivers side rear 1/4 was re done as there was a couple marks in it still, bumpers now refitted. Now he just needs to spray the rear aero spats, do the satin black parts on the top of the doors, and polish the car. Might be finished on Saturday but ive heard that a few times 😆

2021-09-02_03-36-33

I also picked a set of these Gt Turbo gell door decals which recently appeared on ebay. Until now i havent seen anyone reproduce these so they turned up just at the right time, i do have one genuine Toyota set of these which i got hold of many years ago before they became discontinued. These should be the silver ones.

20210902_15423020210902_154257

I just need the "Starlet" and "GT turbo" decals for the back end now.

Edited by Bean