♪♫ Charlotte's Red MK1.5 GT Turbo Project ♪♫

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the week off this week and safe to say I cracked on with this a lot :)

I took the ball joints, track rods, discs and callipers etc off to get the hubs off and she had greenstuff pads which put a smile on my face. They're dead, pretty much metal on metal but i like to know that someone had fun in it.

got the bootlid off and sprayed up. Bonded the spoilers on and fitted the glow panel. I soldered in some led's as there was no bulb holders present with the panel. they work pretty well and will give the same effect i hope.

took the opportunity to smooth the lock, wiper and washer jet on the bootlid. came out ok- i'm not the best with filler. there used to be holes there, now there are none. Great success.

2hn0ux0.jpg

t0ohok.jpg

I also went over the full window with tar and glue remover and a razor blade. Really don't realise how much traffic film and shit sticks to the window and even proper window cleaner won't remove it. Here's a pic of the left half of the window done with the razor blade and the right half not, you can really see the difference!

1zbbad5.jpg

I was on a roll so I bit the bullet and rubbed over the shell with 500 grit, put a couple of coats of primer on, flatted the primer out and then went ahead and sprayed it. Drivers side came out MINT! The compressor wasn't building pressure very well so the pressure dropped as i was putting a coat on the passenger side so it's a bit more peely but not the end of the world it should polish up ok i think. i watched a friend spray something recently and i got a lot of advice. I've never ever seen anybody spray anything before. It turns out i was spraying with too low pressure really. So for this i turned the pressure up quite a lot and mixed the paint a wee bit thinner and it went on soooo much better i was so pleased. Learnt more in the 5 mins of watching him spray than i ever have on my own.

2ugcmq8.jpg

xql1mf.png

33e1p92.png

I decided after a lot of thought to spray the bay candy metallic gold. it could have gone crap or well but you can say that about any paint really. As it was a candy it was really dark even after i'd mixed it but chucked it straight over the silver base without even doing a test panel and hoped for the best. I'm really pleased with how it came out in the end- gave it two coats and then cleared it. no reactions as such but i accidently touched two areas with the air line/gun being the noob that i am hahaha. oh well the general idea still works.

I took most things out but got lazy and just chucked the rest of the looms in bin bags and taped stuff up. overall there wasn't much gain in totally stripping the bay to nothing. Plenty of degreaser and tactical taping meant i was able to get pretty much 90% of it no worries

2l9aaf.jpg

bay in the base silver

2e15fev.jpg

And 2 coats of candy, then a couple of clear coats annnnd it was done!

30l05yu.jpg

a close up of the finished bay

2irvzf8.jpg

and this is how it sits now more or less- i've fitted the rear bumper now too but i didn't take a pic :(

69gdgn.jpg

I picked a 4efte up the other night that i originally intended to put in the glanza which has shit itself AGAIN! but i've now decided to keep the ball rolling with this and put it straight in here! I have all the parts to build and engine from scratch so i will overhaul another engine at some point when i have the time to get the parts to the machine shop.

Lots of work going into this! Keep it up. What compressor have you got? I've just got a wolf 90l 3hp 14cfm unit it should be up to most things I think hopefully.

You mentioned problems with pressure ect. Are you spraying with 2 bar at the gun? I can't see in the pics but do you have a little regulator at the gun? It's good to have a filter or two in The line too. I'm just sorting my Air lines and fittings out since I got the new compressor so I don't have to keep swapping things about.

Lots of work going into this! Keep it up. What compressor have you got? I've just got a wolf 90l 3hp 14cfm unit it should be up to most things I think hopefully.

You mentioned problems with pressure ect. Are you spraying with 2 bar at the gun? I can't see in the pics but do you have a little regulator at the gun? It's good to have a filter or two in The line too. I'm just sorting my Air lines and fittings out since I got the new compressor so I don't have to keep swapping things about.

Compressor isn't the problem we have crap electrics down our lock up. The unit next door use bench saws etc and if they're using power tools our unit suffers. The compressor either doesn't kick in at all and needs resetting or it kicks in but it's very sluggish. Only happens when next door are using electric or if someone is welding.

I just didn't notice that it had been a while since i heard it kick in hence the drop in pressure and by the time I realised I'd already pretty much put a full coat on one side lol :(

Thanks for the kind comments guys I'll update again when I get chance as its come on a bit more! :)

Ahh thats a Shame. You will have to do all your spraying through the night next time when no one is about! a little regulator at the gun will help tweak the pressure and you would see the pressure drop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

About time i did another update and threw some pics up on here!

sprayed the rocker cover and fuel rail with some candy pink i had left over

2nrlp2e.jpg

Engine went in!

282q2vp.jpg

Went in ok, had a bit of trouble getting the shafts in the box properly, Sam showed me how to do them though so i know now :). Went about plugging the loom back in and fitting the few bits like power steering pump etc. No mega dramas just remembering what went where and finding the right bolts haha

Had to swap the thermostat housings, after about an hour of trying to figure out where a load of the plugs went... haha. it was a glanza engine so the gt loom had different plugs. old and new

29g0sux.jpg

Tidied up some of the injector loom. Got rid of the crappy plastic shield so i could tuck the wires a bit. Bit of a birds nest to start with haha!

2zjiall.jpg

Had to move the cars around in the unit so i could drag the glanza back in. Was an effort because it had no steering wheel fitted at this point haha, managed it though. got a few sneaky snaps while it was out of the bay. The front bumper is just rested on as i haven't got round to fitting it properly just yet. didn't see the point until the intercooler etc was all on.

2uojfdj.jpg

5x3cd0.jpg

Picked up ANOTHER tongs hybrid up along with a set of trd coilovers from a local lad so decided to send off the tongs to liam at midland turbos for a rebuild. Best way forward with CT9's i think- spend as much if not more replacing them 2/3 times a year than just getting them rebuilt. AMAZING service and fast too! 110% recommend them! Came back looking brand new, very pleased and can't wait to get it spooling haha

156y102.jpg

5zfw5x.jpg

x2uvpx.jpg

And finally a wee pic of the intercooler, radiator and everything else fitted with the bumper sitting on (still not mounted up) :D

efrnm0.jpg

EEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

i've fitted a HKS hi power silent too. Took the wepr power up kit off my dead glanza for now as it's literally only done about 300 miles inbetween bottom end failures haha. Just need to fit the rear fog, fill with fluids and get the brakes bled up and i can fire it up. Need to nip up the bottom pulley too. Hoping to have her in for MOT next week all being well :)

Getting excited now!

Lol thanks guys. Can officially say i've done everything myself, from the spraying to the stripping/rebuilding. The only thing i can't do is the drive shafts but maybe i haven't got angry enough with them yet lol.

If you look on the shelf behind it in the pics Colin I have a massive collection of headlights/fog lights/tail lights/indicators. I have a totally clear set that came with it, and a clear/orange set. going to wire in amber corners so i'll see which set looks best!

you have honestly done a brilliant job with her!

this fits the vision i had in my head completely i am blown away what you have done with it.

see the tints and marvel sticker are gone. thought they might survive haha x

Looking very sweet :D

What did you do with the injector loom in the end? I thought the plastic was there to prevent the wires from melting from the heat.

It probably is when the loom is in the original position as its touching the rocker cover but I've ran the loom under the inlet. Still sees a lot of heat I imagine but I've had it that way on my advance for years and never had a problem (touch wood).