Hi there.

I was just wondering why so many people are keen to remove the Hi/Lo boost button from their cars?

I understand that if you want to run serious boost, from a standalone EBC or MBC then yeah fine. But my car for example. It's fairly stock. I Don't understand why it was removed?

It's got a HKS actuator on it. So surely, set the boost pressure the actuator is going to operate at, which will be your 'lo', then have the solenoid restricting air flow causing it to go into 'Hi'. Am I missing something?

Why omit this feature? It's not like you're saving any weight.

Starlet GT Turbo MK3. I'm aware the glanzas restrict boost in 1st and 2nd. Personally, that's for a reason. I know that people battering their gearboxes in the first few gears will munch the box.

Why keep it when your foot controls how fast you want to go?....

Even with a proper ebc I never used the low boost setting. With an HKS actuator the stock hi/lo solenoid doesn't vary the boost much anyway and it's easier to install if you exclude the solenoid, that's the main reason to remove it on a GT.

Edited by WallaceGlanza

But that's what I'm saying though. Why remove it? If it doesn't weigh anything. It's no hardship leaving it in. And you keep the OEM button installed.

I'm not arguing, I'm glad that's what you've said. It just doesn't make sense as to why you would remove funcitonality that isn't adverse to performance.

Like I say it's easier to install an HKS or similar actuator (single port) if you remove the stock solenoid - a lot of actuators will be bought second hand too so won't come with the tee piece needed to plumb in the stock solenoid.... so people don't bother.

See that's not what I read but please go ahead and confirm.

I don't understand how it would work, but another member was adamant that that was how he had his setup.

Pipe from Actuator T-Piece. One half to the solenoid and then vent to atmosphere. And the other to the turbo. Doesn't make sense to me and I'm sure that would do naff all but cause boost creep!

when running stock turbos ive always just chucked it away its less vacuums and t- peices so less places for leaks to happen. also it just looks messy in the bay ive lost count of how many cars ive seen with nice engine bays spent all this money on nice hoses and struts and what not then just a totaly reduntant manky looking solenoid sitting there normaly with a random vacuum line looping the 2 ports that do nothing.

Although just reread his message and....I don't agree with the final statement

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/91758-hks-actuator-with-standard-lowhigh-buton/?hl=solenoid#entry1096056

Brags about hitting fuel cut? Sorry but I was under the impression Fuel cut was deadly for an engine?

I wasn't actually bragging about hitting fuel cut. I was purely stating that with my setup, my car would hit fuel cut when I ran it on the high setting. At the time of running that setup I was exploring options to try and reduce fuel cut. Even before I set mine up to my description, I was getting boost creep and hitting fuel cut regularly due to my FMIC & air filter relocation, even with the HKS actuator wound back to stock psi setting. Personally I found that having the hi/low option reduced this drastically

all hes done is allow his car to hit fuel cut so its pointless, remove it all and just set the actuator under 0.8bar and enjoy the extra few ponies

Not true. As I said above, I was exploring routes to reduce fuel cut, and it did help