I looked into lightening flywheels a while back, and the professionals I spoke to was DON'T do it. Makes sense why you wouldn't want to do it on your every day car. Fair enough for your track slag where you don't care about a rebuild, but for something you want to keep reliable, there is a reason why it's weighted....

Its may be weighted for a reason but that reason may not suit a persons purpose anymore. Theres a reason they didnt come with td04s too. Personally for the cost and difference i wouldnt bother again, wouldnt worry about reliabilty. They way i understood it is the harmonic balancer 'asborbs' any slight unbalance etc from having the lightened flywheel and not having it all balanced with the bottom end. If you are using a lightened flywheel and lighetened pulley you may run into problems

The way I see it is it's a conservation of energy. In any closed system energy is conserved, so lightening the flywheel gives you faster acceleration of the engine, but the overall energy of the system has not changed. All I can see logically is that, if the engine picks up faster, then you will hit boost faster, which means you will make power sooner.

The way I see it is it's a conservation of energy. In any closed system energy is conserved, so lightening the flywheel gives you faster acceleration of the engine, but the overall energy of the system has not changed. All I can see logically is that, if the engine picks up faster, then you will hit boost faster, which means you will make power sooner.

lighter fly means less stress on bearings >>> enough said >>>> no really there is way more pro,s then cons with fitting 1 it will prolong the lifespan of engine and less likely to wear the bearings out of the block

I run at standard one witch has been lightened and balanced, used to run a Tom's flywheel! both felt the same tbh!

Sound man gonna get my spare one lightened, do you remember how much was taken off?

for the money i personally wouldnt bother the likely hood is you physically cant feel the difference. same idea when people fit a indcution kit to some cars for a 4-5bhp on a 200 bhp engine and claim its transformed the car. i cant remember where i seen the artical but it was some aussie tunining coming that had basicly used there customers and in house dyno as a data pool and worked out any bhp improvement of under 13% was almost impossible to notice from the drivers seat unless the person was told of the increase so they beleived it was actualy more a plasebo effect making you feel the power because youve been told its quicker.

the engine will in theory rev quicker but id be supirsed if you actualy felt that. i run a lightweight flywheel purely because the orc kits are a "complete kit" and id be talking out my arse if i said i noticed any sort of difference at all in terms of throttle response going from a standard to lightened one.