Sock's 746 Track GT Turbo

On 21/05/2018, 08:55:55, Calum122 said:

Gorgeous little car!

You using this more than your Glanza then these days?

Cheers lad.

Glanza is parked up (fully working tho lol!) at the moment, needs some bits improving I haven't got time to do yet. It'll get sorted tho, it isn't going anywhere!

20 hours ago, TimD said:

How did you get on with the water temps and coolant being pushed into the overflow?

Mine did that, eventually it got so bad the car got hot and cause problems with the head and block.

Not at Blyton this coming Saturday any chance are you? Friend of mine is out and I'm in the area so was going to pop in and say hi.

The above headgasket/ARP Bolts fixed the issue.
I didn't think it was the gasket, as I sniff tested it, compression tested it and couldn't replicate the fault on the road. Only on track.

But now.... Drive it hard all I want, in 25 deg ambient. Water gauge didn't move from 82c (the thermostat temp). A triple core civic rad seems to be enough cooling capacity for the mean time anyways.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok!

So I finally have a racing seat in the car and have removed the Recaro SR3. Best thing ive ever done too!

IMG_2498.thumb.JPG.4589877595e9739b89eff

Took a trip to Motordrive seats, they are amazing and did a fantastic job making me a tailor made seat!

Then took the car to see Sam @ ARC Autosport and got him to weld in some mounting tubes and get it in the car.

IMG_2669.thumb.JPG.60956f6be0aa7c13b900b

Still using it with the stock seatbelt at the moment. However, even with that it really does hold you in place!

I also fitted a Quick Release Steering Wheel Boss & DS3000 Front Pads.

So with Blyton Looming!

IMG_2665.thumb.JPG.d6ebd1853e1657ed001bd

A good wash.

Then off to Blyton with some mates again we went!

IMG_2674.thumb.JPG.b451caba7de88b93b4d78

IMG_2677.thumb.JPG.601afe6cbaecbfc2c1bf5

The extra tyre size, the brake pads, the seat. All came together and transformed the car! The thing is on chuffing rails! You can litterly throw it around and it just grips, doesn't want to wobble or oversteer or try and kill you, its very controllable at the limit. So impressed with it!

EN9I5837.thumb.jpg.8278cadd1e2efffee268f

EN9I5878.thumb.jpg.d2f88d8329ea4f2793981

EN9I6680.thumb.jpg.24f41238a1c6789b1d202

EN9I7263.thumb.jpg.6ab64e94171a16a084009

EN9I7464.thumb.jpg.eb3bce6be13adf76d37b8

EN9I7979.thumb.jpg.3703a4c92c287cad0ad5b

IJ6A0592.thumb.jpg.cb1a9a0cb2dc5260ade72

Cant wait for the next one :D

• 4 weeks later...

So! I went to TOTB 2018!

Went at it with the intention to get nowhere and just enjoy myself. Enjoy myself I did!

The Sunday, was absolutely pissing it down from the moment I arrived. Looking at the forcast and with it not going to clear when handling track opened, we all just decided to go for it. You get 5 chances to set the best time. So after 4 chances, I had worked up to 6th place. Being so damp, means powerful stuff couldn't get it down and it evens out the game.

However, after dinner, it stopped raining, the sun came out, it got windy and the track was bone dry in an hour! Meaning all the times i'd done were a waste of time! lol!

So I had one chance to set a good time. Which ended up being 50.05. Giving me 13th. Happy with that, considering the power level, spec level and experience level of the people in front!

Its a very tricky thing to do. Track isn't real (just cones), the track is also complex and you dont get any sighting laps or practice. So many people turn up expecting to boss it, and get made to look fools.

So after that, thought I'd try my dab hands at the quarter mile while I was at it.

1st run, did it on the medium boost setting (240bhp).
Smokey burnout and a good launch. Came back with 14.1 @ 103mph.

2nd run, did it on high boost this time (255bhp)
Huge burnout and I launched the balls off of it! 13.7 @ 103mph.

Which was good enough for 9th I think in the end. Not bad at all!

So. All in all, £100 for a days racing, you cant complain with that at all!
I rocked up, didnt put a spanner on the car all day and the only thing I did was let some air out of the tyres.

5b5e26dfc30a1_Photo_29-07-2018_16_56_39.

Oooopppss. Sorry stock engine!

5b5e26da14807_Photo_29-07-2018_15_39_07.

:D

On 30/07/2018, 10:15:58, Calum122 said:

Awesome little car!

I'd love to get some track time out in a Starlet. I bet it's mega fun

Get it done, you'll love it!

On 03/08/2018, 22:28:02, PokerFace said:

130 mph lol what was the real mph 

Sorry Boys! 103mph :D 

10 hours ago, Bean said:

yes those top speeds sound miles out actually.

Sorry Boys! 103mph :D 

• 3 months later...

Update Time!

So, I went back to Cadwell :) with friends too. Walker & Bro, Maddox and Amjad all took a mooch down. Along with some local mates. One of them owning a 500bhp Astra Van hahaha.

My first track day with "OpenTrack" who overbooked the day. 114 cars booked on! wtf.
So huge ques and waiting to get onto track, which sucked. Decided to stay out for longer periods tho, since it was a cool day and I had the cooling capacity now :D

The day before it absolutely pissed it down, so in the morning the track was soaked from that. With no sun to dry it out. I let the heros go out first to dry the track out a bit.
Someone put it in a wall in the first session, red flag. Waiting again.

Then I went out for first session and it confirmed what I already knew. Dont fuck with Cadwell Park in the wet. Proper dangerous lol.

Left it, then eventually, due to fog, the track time was aborted. Then dinner happened. Then, sun was out, track was drying, after 30mins a dry line was appearing too. Session Time!

Went out for a good session, was out there 40mins! lol.

Had some fun with a 380bhp Corsa VXR.

Then came in for a cool down, started to que to get back out a little while after. There was a serious crash, a megane put it in a wall (was running slicks on a wet track too, clown).

Once that was recovered, it all started again as I remained in the que. I get to first in line, another red flag. A Mini with slicks had put in into an armco. Snapped 3 armco posts. Which ended the day at 2:45pm. So pleased it was discounted day to like £80 lol.

Ah well, got a couple of sessions in and its fairly local no real loss. Got some good video footage and photos.
Car hasn't changed since last time either, nothing needed changing :D was stable and fun!

45388114811_de00b53a1b_o.jpg

30446535647_9fc3275f01_o.jpg

31511316988_48d674706a_o.jpg

43569646920_4c21afa293_o.jpg

44473114405_39c31094dc_o.jpg

45334521292_c91361da75_o.jpg

45387533541_af42c20cf7_o.jpg

and the rest of the video footage from the sessions:

Enjoy Folks! Im booked onto Jav for Cadwell on the 25th Nov too if anyone else fancys it!

• 2 months later...

Back to Cadwell again for the year was out!

Was quite alot of talent on this day, which is great, means less Red Flags :)

XSP_0115.JPG

Was with some mates who were testing Civic Turbos. Mike in his TA EK9 was testing a Splitter Design that worked really well.

It was also going so well for Marc too, until a pushfit oil cooler line popped off in front of me. Covering my car and the track with oil. Little did I know until I tried to wash the windscreen, and visibility went to ZERO.

Whoops. Luckily he shut it down, when at Wide Open Throttle it dropped out of vtec, then after seeing oil pressure gauge on zero! :(
He saved the engine though! That's the main thing!

XSP_0143.JPG

XSP_0664.JPG

XSP_0693.JPG

XSP_0780.JPG

XSP_0840.JPG

Was a mega day despite grip levels. Had fun, its tucked up for Winter now. Few changes to do for next year which ill post up about when I find time!

Here is the rest of the footage from the day:

• 4 months later...

2019! Welcome!

So started off with getting Race-Tech Motorsport to make some changes for me.
Got the intercooler core pipework changed to a backdoor setup. 30% less pipework!

Photo_03-05-2019,_19_51_14.jpg

With that came a new coldside pipe also. Moved the radiator over to suite.

The intercooler was also moved forward to free up space and fill up the new bumper too 

Photo_03-05-2019,_19_51_18.jpg

IMG_5159.JPG

As you can see I also had a front exit exhaust made :D hehe.
For a few reasons. First is for the weight saving. Second is for power. Third is I have never had one before!
Its a decent sized silencer though, its no louder then my power getter was.
The last reason is the space under the engine where the exhaust passed through, I want for extra oil capacity for a custom sump.....

Haven't had chance to get the bumper painted yet, but all in good time. The car also had its map checked. Spool is better. also made a touch more power. 210 | 235 | 257 on the various boost settings. Good power for a stock engine again hehe!

Then it was Blyton Park time yet again. We went up on the 12th May. It was the best track day ive ever been on.

Weather was pure bliss, only 20-25 booked on, so no queue and pretty much had the track to ourselves!

32912614827_9b9db337b5_o.jpg

32912614357_56d850a163_o.jpg

32912621017_b37077aee0_o.jpg

47067261364_ae4aa1c165_o.jpg

47856773661_f5dccc4e82_o.jpg

I got my best time down to a 1:15.52 at Blyton too which im super happy with considering the spec. I'm no pro driver either haha.
More to come :D

Any more details of the exhaust setup, Matt? Size of silencer etc

What dB did it run?

Wanna get a front exit to save weight but wary of noise so wanna get it right first time. 

Looks like you're having some wicked time on track, my work has not been friendly for free time :(

On 5/17/2019 at 9:22 PM, H_D said:

Looking good on track. You need to update us on the V. 

Cheers dude! Its a hoot!

3 hours ago, Amjad said:

Any more details of the exhaust setup, Matt? Size of silencer etc

What dB did it run?

Wanna get a front exit to save weight but wary of noise so wanna get it right first time. 

Looks like you're having some wicked time on track, my work has not been friendly for free time :(

Its a 2.5" Exhaust with a 3" Tip. Its only a TD04 so....

Only been to blyton so far, who are on a flyby basis, tbh the screamer is louder and that hasn't changed so... Wouldn't be any different. Its Cadwell that does a static, so ill let you know!

Cheers tho dude!

• 10 months later...

Sorry for the late update! COVID-19 time on my hands!
I Took the car to a SPRINT EVENT!

So, me and some mates decided to try Jav's Sprint Event Taster. To get a feel for how the day is ran, and have a dabble at going fast against the clock.
Went into this having only ever done TOTB, which is sort of similar.
Sprinting is tricky as you have to guess the grip levels quickly and you have no time to get any temperature in the rubber or brakes!
Ontop of that, I am very familiar with Blyton's Outer Circuit, but NOT the Eastern Circuit.

So here goes!

IMG_4932_edit.jpg

IMG_4943_edit.jpg

IMG_4923edit.jpg

IMG_2284edit.jpg

Loved the event, they did a great job!
My times came down over the day, getting faster every-time. Got within a couple of seconds of Mike & Marc in Civic Turbos with double the power so there are some teasing points.

times.jpg

A lot of fun and might be something I look into doing sometime in the future!

No changes were made to the car prior to the track days, other then servicing stuff. Still runs a champ!

Another Blyton Track Day!
I reckon they should give me my own pit garage at this place! Benefits of living 5 mins from a track! Winner!

No changes again, but because of good weather I finally ran high boost :D. Never ran high boost at blyton before, turns out it was needed too got into a race with some Evo's! hehe!

48743965478_715a54cf10_o.jpg

48744476932_cbd148c049_o.jpg

48743964493_e56d3be9dd_o.jpg

48744298441_0d3b7c861a_o.jpg

48744301396_6d51de0d7f_o.jpg

48744312786_98787ecd1f_o.jpg

The Evo guys didn't know what the hell the car even was. They werent happy when they learnt it was a 1.3 and only 230bhp though.
Infact none of them believed me, ended up taking all of them on passenger rides, the jaws were on the floor.

Amazing thing is, even where you would think the Evo's would win, Corner Exit, the ole EP was staying put. Good job it didn't rain though, or it'd have been a different story!
The Evo 6 was 340bhp and the Evo 4 was 490bhp. :o

hehe, such a hoot, and to top it all off, the boost being higher meant I brought my best time down too!

1:14:2. Ill take that :) Especially for what the car owes me!

6 hours ago, Sam44 said:

Slaying monsters. 

I bought mine after watching it take out lap times. 

What handling mods are you running?

Is this another factory colour. 

Its that time of year again.  

Hehe.

Only a few:
Unknown JDM Springs (Came from JDM with them on)
Whiteline Front Camber Bolts
Whiteline Front Anti-Roll Bar
Whiteline Rear Anti-Roll Bar
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
SuperFlex Polybushed Front Lower Arms

Yep, factory colour, :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 12:54 AM, Brad93 said:

Decent read 👌 cars absolutely mint keep the parts coming 

Cheers Brad!

---------------------------------

So, maybe now the end is near and we are allowed out to enjoy our lives again. I decided to put this back on the road. Its been parked up since 2019. I booked a bunch of track days thru 2020 but they all got cancelled :(, mainly due to race days being moved onto track days...

So! She has mossy eyes and grill, bonnet is even worse than before (I have a replacement now tho, watch this space 😉) but she fired straight up, brakes were stuck on, free'd them off and she runs a treat!

She will be going for inspection and all fresh fluids, pads and rubber ready for this year next week all being well. It was AWESOME to drive it again though, brand new cars pull you away from the pantomime! 

268078994_Photo09-03-2021145934.jpg

962247747_Photo09-03-2021145942.jpg

Updates to follow through the year! Tri-Poding again in no time!

On 4/14/2020 at 6:15 PM, Socks said:

Hehe.

Only a few:
Unknown JDM Springs (Came from JDM with them on)
Whiteline Front Camber Bolts
Whiteline Front Anti-Roll Bar
Whiteline Rear Anti-Roll Bar
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
SuperFlex Polybushed Front Lower Arms

Yep, factory colour, :)

Thanks for the information, the setup looks well balanced on the videos. 

I had no idea about chamber bolt's. I've just found them now. Thanks.