ANOTHER suspension noise! Meisters? Bushes?

So having sorted a noise I was previously getting on hard lefts (that turned out to be the ARB).

I'm left with another noise which I can't seem to identify. It's coming from the front passenger side and only on quite sudden or high load right turns.

It happens only with a certain amount of lock, and goes away if I return the wheel towards centre.

The sound is difficult to describe because either happens so quickly, I'll try to get a video if I can. It's kind of like a groaning/creaking/squeak that is loudest when the front left is compressed more. (So if it's a hard right on a bumpy Road, the noise will happen and get louder as the car compresses over a bump and quieter after).

It doesn't happen Iver bumpy roads driving straight or on left turns. Only hard right as I've said above.

Sorry for the essay, but I really need to get this sorted for track in case it's anything serious.

I'll be double checking the shock bolts, top nut, top mount nuts and locking collars.

The suspension is Meister R with about 20-25k miles on them (5 years old). Car is completely polybushed apart from the rear gbox mount. Rear ARB and strut braces.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Amjad

Sorry before I forget, the preload on the front is a fair few full turns (perhaps 6 or so) higher than it should be. But I wouldn't have thought that would cause a noise?

Yeah Adam, the whole car apart from rear box mount. The front suspension ones have been on for a year or so.

I'm not sure whether the sound these would give would be the same as a squeaky rear ARB? Because it doesn't sound like that

On the wishbone there's whiteline alk and I believe the other two are Superpro

Might be worth just disconnecting everything and leaving the wishbone to pivot on the two chassis points and seeing if it makes any noise. I know that some people complain about the SuperPro supplied grease in that it doesn't last as long or it's not as good as other competitor greases.

What it sounds like you're describing comes across as more of a rubber/joint issue rather than a coilover issue, but I would check the top mounts as well.

Thanks Adam. Just been to two mechanics and they're stumped on general inspection. Prying the wishbone and arb (without any dismantling) doesn't seem to be causing any noises or excess play. Also they said top mounts don't have play in them (Grant said the same when he took a look a few weeks ago).

I'll be having wheel off tomorrow to take a proper look and maybe check top nut today. Car is really testing my patience wanted to book a track day for next week but it's not looking good.

Oh and I'll try my best to capture it on video. Went out earlier and for the first time I managed to get the sound on a hard left turn this time. Sound was still coming from passenger area.

I had a similar noise once.. on lock going left it was the left hand side coil over clicking..topmount bearing wasn't too happy i think. Could be that.

Edited by RobSR

FARB bush grease perished / gone?

Couldnt be the panhard could it? I had a whiteline panhard rod for a while, f**king terrible thing for knocks and bangs as the lock nut would never stay in place, so replaced it for an RSR item. I know both it and the RARB gave me alot of knocks and bangs for a long time due to that and no grease being applied to the RARB bushes when it was fitted.

Phil.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm having the exact same issue at the moment @Amjad. I have bent the bracket a couple of times to clear the line, but still somehow catchers ever so slightly. How did your mechanic manage to get enough clearance in the end?