ct9 turbo on a standard 5efe

has this been done? whats max boost it can safely run?

is this a stock high compression 5efe?

i'd strongly recommend you don't put a ct9 of any type on any form of stock high compression 5efe/5efhe,,,,even if you lowered the compression i'd still recommend you don't do it

simply put, a ct9 is basically like a restriction on the 5e engine

minimum sized turbo is probably td04l or equivalent

Edited by gorganl2000

is this a stock high compression 5efe?

i'd strongly recommend you don't put a ct9 of any type on any form of stock high compression 5efe/5efhe,,,,even if you lowered the compression i'd still recommend you don't do it

simply put, a ct9 is basically like a restriction on the 5e engine

minimum sized turbo is probably td04l or equivalent

So the Jam racing car that beat a lot of high powered cars around the Tsukuba with the 5E ct9 had it all wrong?? They did a pretty good job. Your pushing your opinion across something that has been proven over ten years ago to be a very successful combination on the track. Even zep were thrashing the ct9 around the track with high compression engine's I'm not saying ct9 would be the answer I'm just saying it's not to be ruled out imo

what i stated above was my opinion,,,everyone is free to choose and do as they see fit...nothing wrong with that

what i'm saying below is my opinion again...anyone, please feel free to differ ...that's what makes this an exciting world and its how we progress

oh the jam racing ep91 was a great car...i'm very much a fan of it...at one point i even tried to use it as a base (with adjustments) for a build

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/23226-jam-racing-glanza-specs/

now when we look at it though, it was a purpose built track car...it was a well thought out combination of things which made it fast for the Tsukuba circuit...based on the specs,,,just to quote a few:

- forged pistons (but never said what compression the final 5e engine was, so maybe higher/lower/stock, who knows?),

- 4.1 / 4.3 final drive vs the stock 3.7...this should help with response

- high lift cam

- high flow ct9---some say blitz equivalent, again we dont know if some turbine porting, etc

- 848 kgs----now most other glanzas are around 920/960kgs....in the vid it looks like it even has wind up windows to save weight

- 250ps....on a high flow ct9 according to that older tread.....possibly race gas??

now a little background,, a friend of mine had an ep82 with a 5efte ct9 in 2005/2006 (slightly lowered compression)...i drove in it, i drove it...i liked it so we decided to try to build one....now, in 2007/2008 we built a 5efte (slightly lowered compression) and ran it in using a stock ct9 (actually ended up using its for a few months till we could afford to change the turbo set up, which was always the plan)....both cars had custom built exhaust manifolds (steam pipe) to help flow

again, i'd strongly suggest/recommend not to use a stock 4efte exhaust manifold on a 5e turbo build...as its already hard enough keeping the back pressure/heat down from the restrictive ct9 back end...the 4efte runners restriction just magnifies the problem

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/11687-5efte-conversion/

based on the experience, here's what i can say, the ct9/5e combo is amazing on very short sprints and very twisty roads/tracks...very very very responsive and will make you smile when you touch the gas pedal...but it will lose mid/top end power and torque quickly....

the stock ct9 turbine housing will restrict the flow of the 5e....ran the ct9 from 6psi up to 14psi with JAM ecu and then later tuned on other management (ignition and fuel)....it seemed to make no more power beyond 8psi...used a jam racing actuator..........so eventually we settled at 8/10psi

spool was like 1500/2000rpm...full boost by 2500/3000rpm....massive tailed off around 5000/5500rpm...you can basically short shift,,,no need to hit the limiter if you dont want to

so similar to what 5e colin mentioned....three of us share the same opinion, all with slightly different 5e/ct9 builds

so my concerns are with the ct9 (stock and hybrid) to adequately flow enough for the 5e AND the heat/back pressure which the turbine housing will create, which can be detrimental to the engine itself ...i've considered the tf035 as an option, but didnt investigate that further ...what i can say is that the td04l/5e is ultra responsive as well, though it tails off maybe around 6500rpm, which is ok if you have stock rev limit

i restate though, the jam racing ep91 was still a nice car and it still impresses me to this day when i watch the vids

maybe others have had similar success with that ct9/5e combo

^^^^ gorganl i have a tfo35hm on a G.I. block it will out perform a ct9 5e setup al day

this is having both setups at a bar !!

initial pull off be to the ct95e as it spools faster but at 5k the tfo has already caught up where the 5e will be changing gear now the tfo is just going stronger and stronger to the limiter leaving the ct95e wel behind due to using like 1500 /2000 rpm les of the rev range

tf0 is a great turbo :)

5e colin is the exhaust housing of the tf035 is about 4cm2 or 5cm2?....i know the td04l is 6cm2...while the td05 is 7cm2

there was a tread sometime with a guy comparing the tf035 vs td04l back ends...with some supporting data,,,maybe i should reread it

5e colin is the exhaust housing of the tf035 is about 4cm2 or 5cm2?....i know the td04l is 6cm2...while the td05 is 7cm2

there was a tread sometime with a guy comparing the tf035 vs td04l back ends...with some supporting data,,,maybe i should reread it

inducer or exducer size ??? the points of the fins on the proppeler are 40 odd mms 44or 46mm +- forgotten

^^^^ was hybrid !!! not a stock ct9 ( no its not the same ) stock ct9 will choke the 5e to death i know i bedded in my 5e on a ct9 never again ha ha

you wont be able to use full rev range beating the whole point of fitting a 5e

thats just my 2c dont kill me ha ha

The hole point for me with the 5E is the bottom end torque I want most power come strong from the bottom to get away quicker I see builds with big big turbo's I don't understand having all the power coming in at the back unless your on long ass roads there's not much point imo I know they used a hybrid lol

what i stated above was my opinion,,,everyone is free to choose and do as they see fit...nothing wrong with that

what i'm saying below is my opinion again...anyone, please feel free to differ ...that's what makes this an exciting world and its how we progress

oh the jam racing ep91 was a great car...i'm very much a fan of it...at one point i even tried to use it as a base (with adjustments) for a build

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/23226-jam-racing-glanza-specs/

now when we look at it though, it was a purpose built track car...it was a well thought out combination of things which made it fast for the Tsukuba circuit...based on the specs,,,just to quote a few:

- forged pistons (but never said what compression the final 5e engine was, so maybe higher/lower/stock, who knows?),

- 4.1 / 4.3 final drive vs the stock 3.7...this should help with response

- high lift cam

- high flow ct9---some say blitz equivalent, again we dont know if some turbine porting, etc

- 848 kgs----now most other glanzas are around 920/960kgs....in the vid it looks like it even has wind up windows to save weight

- 250ps....on a high flow ct9 according to that older tread.....possibly race gas??

now a little background,, a friend of mine had an ep82 with a 5efte ct9 in 2005/2006 (slightly lowered compression)...i drove in it, i drove it...i liked it so we decided to try to build one....now, in 2007/2008 we built a 5efte (slightly lowered compression) and ran it in using a stock ct9 (actually ended up using its for a few months till we could afford to change the turbo set up, which was always the plan)....both cars had custom built exhaust manifolds (steam pipe) to help flow

again, i'd strongly suggest/recommend not to use a stock 4efte exhaust manifold on a 5e turbo build...as its already hard enough keeping the back pressure/heat down from the restrictive ct9 back end...the 4efte runners restriction just magnifies the problem

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/11687-5efte-conversion/

based on the experience, here's what i can say, the ct9/5e combo is amazing on very short sprints and very twisty roads/tracks...very very very responsive and will make you smile when you touch the gas pedal...but it will lose mid/top end power and torque quickly....

the stock ct9 turbine housing will restrict the flow of the 5e....ran the ct9 from 6psi up to 14psi with JAM ecu and then later tuned on other management (ignition and fuel)....it seemed to make no more power beyond 8psi...used a jam racing actuator..........so eventually we settled at 8/10psi

spool was like 1500/2000rpm...full boost by 2500/3000rpm....massive tailed off around 5000/5500rpm...you can basically short shift,,,no need to hit the limiter if you dont want to

so similar to what 5e colin mentioned....three of us share the same opinion, all with slightly different 5e/ct9 builds

so my concerns are with the ct9 (stock and hybrid) to adequately flow enough for the 5e AND the heat/back pressure which the turbine housing will create, which can be detrimental to the engine itself ...i've considered the tf035 as an option, but didnt investigate that further ...what i can say is that the td04l/5e is ultra responsive as well, though it tails off maybe around 6500rpm, which is ok if you have stock rev limit

i restate though, the jam racing ep91 was still a nice car and it still impresses me to this day when i watch the vids

maybe others have had similar success with that ct9/5e combo

I can see how any ct9 will be not much good higher up the revs so with my 5E build I went for is the TD04L it, I have looked into loads more different turbo's I suppose it's how you drive and what the car's for and not to waste money!

The hole point for me with the 5E is the bottom end torque I want most power come strong from the bottom to get away quicker I see builds with big big turbo's I don't understand having all the power coming in at the back unless your on long ass roads there's not much point imo I know they used a hybrid lol

yes gets away quicker till your first gear change the other setup comes flying past you because the tampon is blocking your exhaust ha ha ha

whats the point in changing at 5500rpm ??? it sucks and never will be fast and td04 is not """ BIG """ on the 5e very well sized