Overheating Help Anyone?

the other day i was driving home from a car show and my temp gauge shot up to the red bit so i pulled over and the expansion tank was over flowing and steam was coming out. i let it cool down and checked the rad it was empty i got it towed home and checked the thermostat and it was stuck open so ive replaced that filled the rad up correctly again and it drove fine for about 50 miles then the same happened again, the heating has never worked since i bought this well a little bit of heat comes out when im on the motorway but thats about it. could this be to do with the overheating or what else could it be?

ahhhh i was going to say first time the thermostat could have been buggered and 2nd time might have been cause you didnt bleed it and it could have air locked

the first thing id do would be to take all of the pipes off for the cooling system and check there not blocked or badly restricted with gunk. flush a hose through each pipe. this will 1) be easy to see if there is a block as the water wont come out the other side and 2) its always good to give the pipes a good flush

reconnect and see if this solves the problem

before all that just have a quick scan round and check theres no bad kinks that could be stopping the water flow

hope this helps