the other day i helped a mate jump start his car using the starlet (gt ep82) so i left it running why we did it, the car must have been left for 5 minutes on idle and it started overheating and the water in the reservoir was boiling up and white smoke started coming from the exhaust, i let it cool down topped up the reservoir and radiator and the car has been running fine although the fan never ever comes on. any ideas?

it isnt the head gasket :p

youve answered your own question, the fan isnt coming on. they overheat quickly if you are not getting cold air flow over the rad.

test the fan on a 12v source to see if its the actual fan. if the fan is ok it will be a fuse or something similar.

just been to the garage now and took a look at the fuses to find the one for the radiator wasnt in at all so i replaced it and let the engine warm up ntil the fan came on which it did but made a horrible noise and then just seemed to cut out so i think a new fan is required, any ideas where i could source one?