Aftermarket LSD - Which gearbox oil?

Hi everyone, think this is my first post on here and i'm needing a little help and advice.

I just got my girfriend a nice little Glanza (98) with a few nice bit's on it, one of which is an aftermarket LSD. The problem is that on very tight low speed corners you can feel the wheels skipping and the diff clunking as if it is 'gripping' too much or to put it another way 'limiting the slip too much'. I had exactly the same problem on a sunny gti i has which had a gtir engine and a cusco LSD which i solved by changing the gear oil for a fully synthetic type (can't remember what oil it was, just that it was in red 1 litre bottles with a black label and yellow/orange writing)

Hopefully this is the same problem and it's not the LSD due for a rebuild or anything like that.....anyway, on to my question......what oil should i use in a Glanza box which has a clutch type LSD in it? i don't know the make of the LSD, and there was no mention of any LSD in the advert for the car(stupid importer probably didn't have a clue about half the stuff on the car), i'm guessing it might be TRD (because most of the other TRD parts on the car) or Cusco (because it feels exactly the same to drive as my sunny did with the cusco, and i noticed they are pretty popular for the Glanza's) but basically it could be any make.

i was going to try Millers CRX 75w90 fully synthetic, anybody had any experience of this? anyone recomend anything better? i noticed TRD actually do an oil for LSD boxes anyone tried this?

cheers for any replies, Ben

My diff had the same symptons last week until it decided to crack the gearbox housing :unsure:

Sorry I cant help but I didnt know LSD's did that, hope for your sake its not a duffed diff!!!

the TRD and the Cusco diffs for the starlet are exactly the same, they are both made by KAAZ.

check your chassis plate for the type of gearbox you have, because you may have the optional box with the slip dif inside. in which case youll have to get the oil from toyota, as its a viscous diff.

if you have a c56 gearbox, then just get some good synthetic 75w90 oil for it.

It's deffinately not a Viscous diff, it's FAR too agressive......unless it's very broken, but apart from the low speed/tight corner issue it works very well

will check the chassis plate, and if it is the C56 i'll give the millers a try

cheers for the quick replys

• 4 weeks later...

Did you buy the diff from new and was it worn in using the figure of 8 method? In general LSD's can be noisy dependant on type but most buyers never ware then in which means they get really bad. As far as oil type use what the manufacture of the LSD recommends not what a random company recommends. The manufacture will know best :(

T

only oil i could get at short notice was Royal purple.....only £17 a litre :p .......worked a treat though, feels perfect now.

yeah i've heard the royal purple come highly recommended before....it actually is purple aswell whice made me smile for some unknown reason.

LSD came with the car so i don't know the manufacturer.....or how it was broken in....but all the manufacturers seem to recommend synthetic 75w-90 which is what i got.

i've got a feeling the car might have had a service of some sort by somone who didn't know about the LSD either just before it left japan or as it arrived in the UK, and the gear oil changed for some normal stuff. it looked very clean when we drained it, and it seemed to be getting worse and worse.

Anyway, the good thing is the problems have dissapeared, almost feels like an open diff on normal driving now, so i can actually FEEL that the oil is doing its job....feels a lot better than my old FWD GTiR which had a Cusco LSD on Millers fully synthetic which at the time i thought was fine.

All in all, the Royal Purple gave me better results than i even hoped for, i cant recommend it enough, probably be able to get it a lot cheaper than £17 per quart (not even a litre as i said earlier) actually only 946ml, so if the figure i was given of 1.9 litres is correct, then you are technically 8ml short, which is about a spoonful, anyway i had a bit overflowing so there is enough in two quart bottles.