Removing scratches by hand?

I`d like to try and remove the scratches on my car by hand.....here is just a taster or what the previous owner left......

26082008693.jpg

what do i use? i will be practsing on a spare body panel i.e wing or what ever i can get hold of from the breakers first.

many thanks FTM

it was just a single old guy who owned it from new.....ill take some more of the other scratches every door has had something done to it. a few touch ups have been made again v v-poorly........thats why i wanted some who knows what they are doing to have a look over it.

Got a bottle of g3 compund today.....with cloth in hand and heart in mouth i went for it. all i can say it`s fuoooooooking amazing stuff! my paint work looks ubes can only really see the scratches upon close inspection that being due to that fact that i did it by hand and couldn`t get deep enough. one-two more area i would like to do then wash it (finally got a wash mit) and polish/wax it anyone recomend one? whats the diffrence between polish and wax?

It left no swirl marks whatsoever....i waxed it yesterday used that meguires carbuna wax decent stuff. i used g7 under the handles there was shit loads of fingernail scratches under them (have a look when you get in your car i bet theres loads) there was this area too, ill take a pic of it now when i got out tomorrow still there but not as noticable. There was a big gash in the bumper where the nooobs just touched it up i sanded it down an resprayed it looks barley noticable not as shiney and theres a tad bit of overspray of laqure but im happy with it.

@ matty just try it, 1st just feel the scratches if they are deeper than the clear coat therse no point trying as i think the way it works is by slowly taking the clear coat of paint away then the actual paint (if it goes horribly wrong) most of my scratches were only clear coat ones so i was able to remove them easily. i did it by hand i wouldnt recomend using a buffer as you can do loads of damage. apply it spray mist of water and rub away with a buffer pad thing making sure you keep a close eye on whats going on and contaminants. wash off and redo or wax it (wax is a must as you have took part of the paint work off so it needs "protecting")

11092008709.jpg