if anyone can help here it would be much appreciated....

when i start the engine after its been standing for a while it knocks only for a couple of seconds then goes quite, also when i hold the revs around 3000/3500 rpm it also knocks, the obvious answer i assumed would be the big end shells, this all came about after the oil pick-up filter blocked causing the piston rings to get stuck in the pistons, when i stripped the engine one of the shells was slightly scored with no major damage to the crank journal, after replacing rings and shells the engine ran ok for around a month before the engine started to have this knock, i have replaced the shells again although they didnt seem to be worn, and the noise is still there

are there any known weaknesses of the 4efe that could be the problem here, other than the crank big end shells obviously, as my next move is to remove the crank for regrind and over sized shells

thanks,

brad

• 2 months later...

never heard of this before. big ends are not usually a problem on the E series engines.

have you checked the little ends in the piston? they could be loose causing the knocking.

but, the knocking at 3k really does point towards big ends? are they sitting properly in the rods?